Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Storage for toys?

It's official. My son is nine months old and our living room has exploded with toys. all. over. the. place. I was foolish enough to think I wouldn't let my house get like this but its unavoidable!

I don't know where to put all these toys.

What kind of storage are you using to keep toys in? Tubs? Baskets? Boxes? I need help!

He just recently got a couple of big tonka and CAT trucks. He loves them but they take up space. We have a TINY place.

Help me organize, mamas!

Mama to one sweet little boy (7/08) and one precious baby girl (2/12)
I use Swagbucksto get free giftcards!

myboygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Storage for toys?

We have bookshelves, cube storage, and one of these:
We also have something like this for the outside of her closet door:
I also get 3M removable hooks for hanging toys. I'd say create designated "parking spots" for his big trucks; you could even take removable colored painter's tape and mark them on the floor so he can park them himself. That's all I got!
Kara, wife to college sweetheart J and SAHM to E, diagnosed with OEIS complex at birth. What is OEIS? See E's website!
rileykidmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
My Mood:

Bookshelves with lots of little bins...we sort toys by type. There's one bin for cars, one for blocks, one for dolls, etc etc. Makes it much easier for your LO to help clean up when they get to that stage because everything is already sorted out and has a defined space. We have a big toy box for all of the big stuff. My son has parking spaces on the floor in his room taped off with colored tape so he can "park" his trucks and remote control cars. We also have wicker baskets that fit under our coffee table perfectly...each kid has one to keep toys in so that they aren't all getting mixed up. Wal-Mart has some cute wicker baskets in the crafts section that are less than $5 that are great for starting out...they're kind of like the ones you can put shower gifts in or that some people use as laundry baskets.
Brenna, all around AP'ing, trying to be crunchier, stay at home mama to Ash, Bryn, and our little Rebel Journey, wife to Nate
Come swag with me!! I've earned $75 in FREE Amazon gift cards just by searching
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
S Starr
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yep, I've moved to the bin system too. And I'm TRYING (unsuccessfully because I'm not consistent and DH is reeeally not consistent) to insist on one bin being replaced before DD1 gets out another.

I actually bought a shoe rack -- you know the kind with two poles at one level that the shoes rest on and another pole a little higher at the back? -- and put $1.59 Goodwill plastic bins on it, 4 across each of the top two shelves. (It's a long shoe rack.) Then I bought a really wide, low bin for the bottom shelf as a catch-all. We also have a big plastic bin for "soft toys" and a couple for big sets, like Mega-Blocks .... AND a set of shallow drawers for markers, paper, puzzles, and a few other small toys that it's nice to have separated.

Thinking about all that ... Maybe my mom and MIL are right and we have too many toys!
Mama to E 3/06 and M 7/08
S Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by rileykidmama View Post
We have bookshelves, cube storage, and one of these:
We also use these!!! And some tubs.
Keep in mind with bookshelves, they have to be screwed to the wall safely!!! A child will climb those and could be seriously injured or worse I used to use bookshelves.
Mama to 9...
Mama2acrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

we are using a rubbermaid presently but i prefer something that looks nicer if it stays in the living room - we used to have a simple white wooden toy box that worked nicely - a friend of ours had two or three nice rattan tall rectangular baskets that toys hide nicely in as well
negrapy is offline   Reply With Quote