Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler Breastfeeding

Hi Mamas...

I just have a quick question for all of you mamas out there that are nursing the older baby/toddler. My DS is 18 months old and is still nursing at least 4 times a day (sometimes more). When he is with my DH at home or at daycare, I just send the expressed BM along for him to drink in a cup. He has had "regular" milk when eating certain things (I still use BM on his cereal), mainly when I cook. He just hasn't had it to drink or had it in large amounts.

I guess to make a long story short...for you mamas that are out there that are still nursing you toddlers, do you just continue to give them the BM to drink in a cup when you are not there or have you started to give them "regular" milk to drink?

At my DS 18 month check-up I told the doctor he was still BFing (which was fine) and I told him that I had started giving him Tri-vi-sol which I believe has vitamins A, D and C it. I know my mom, sister and other people are like "he needs that 'regular' milk for the extra vit. D". The doc said what I was doing was fine. So do you think that i need to start giving him "regular" milk or just keep doing what I am doing?

Thanks for the help and I hope I didn't confuse you to much!!

Advertisement

Last edited by newmommy929; 04-05-2009 at 11:43 AM.
newmommy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
mom2manypink
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler Breastfeeding

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Dont listen to what other people say!! It is your child you you know best! Everyone has their opinion and if you listened to every one of them you would eventually just go nuts lol! (that is if your family is like mine lol they tell me all the time to just put her on formula but not going to lol they are not supportive at all) If he is healthy just keep on doing what you are!!
mom2manypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I give my 19 month old pretty much whatever he wants to drink

Juice, cow's milk, breast milk, whatever he asks for
He still nurses every 2 hours or so during the day.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Here is a link from kellymom re: Vitamin D:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

I am sure the supplements don't hurt, but they are probably not needed.

I have an 18 month old also. She nurses 3 times a day now, but she won't drink anything besides water from a sippy cup - no juice, no milk.

I think what you're doing is just fine, mama.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasra_nu View Post
Here is a link from kellymom re: Vitamin D:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

I am sure the supplements don't hurt, but they are probably not needed.

I have an 18 month old also. She nurses 3 times a day now, but she won't drink anything besides water from a sippy cup - no juice, no milk.

I think what you're doing is just fine, mama.
This is DS2 also. He is almost 2 and wont drink anything other than water from a cup. We've tried everything (other than juice), cows, goats, almond (some luck here), rice, soy, hemp ...he wont even drink BM from a cup! He still nurses often during the day, Id say more than 3-4 times and at night. I get the no cows milk questions also. He eats a balanced diet, cow's milk isn't the only source of vitamins. I wouldn't mind if he continued to not like cow's milk
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
mamacrystin
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'm kind of weird and I always try to imagine what life was like before all of our "gadgets" like breast pumps, pacifiers, etc...and moms of toddlers before pumps probably used goats/cows/any animals milk in hot cereal or cooking or drinking for their children in between nursing...but sure kids can also get a plethera of vitamins from food sources and from your milk so I'm sure he's fine and you might not even need the supplement.
mamacrystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's entirely up to you. I just nursed Natalie when she and I were together because I couldn't pump much AT ALL from the time she was 10 months on and now, at 39 months, I can't even hand express which sucks because she's been getting eye crud. Anyway, we delayed on regular milk because my husband wanted to find a raw milk source. Once we did, she started getting some milk but she was nursing quite frequently (and I was home almost all the time anyway) and then would drink cow's milk on occasion as well as water and the occasional glass of juice but that we RARELY gave her. So again, it's up to you and what you want to do and what works for your family and it sounds like you're doing a good job!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't drink cow milk as a beverage.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

what you're doing is fine.. the supplements don't hurt i'm sure, but personally i don't give them to my kids..

imo they sound silly for saying he needs milk from a cow.. i always ask people who tell me my kids need cow milk that they are baby people not baby cows.. tehre is nothing in cow milk they can't get elsewhere
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Marissa20uk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just nurse, no cow's milk or vitamins. Whatever he wants, breastmilk or water. . My ds is 2, his feedings are getting less and less. I am still producing lots of milk, so sometimes I have to let him feed when he doesn't ask for it, because it just hurts!