Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Liquid Ecover approved for wool!!!

Did you all know this? That liquid Ecover has been given the stamp of approval to use as a wool wash?

I just found out when I called a store to see if they HAD wool wash. Unfortunately, neither of the big "natural" stores has lanolin

And my poor soaker smells of ammonia!!! It was really strong this morning, so I left it turned inside out to dry, and it's WAY better, but I can still smell it if I breath deeply.

I have no wool wash and no lanolin.

Do I NEED to use lanolin when I wash? Or can I get by with just washing with Ecover for now?

Thanks
God bless,
Michelle

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Liquid Ecover approved for wool!!!

i did not know that, thanks for sharing! i don't have any ecover, but my mom just found the love, so i may be next. as for washing your stinky soaker, go ahead and try the ecover. wool does not need to be lanolized. many don't use it and its just fine. i use a wool wash bar with lanolin in it, but have used lansinoh too. if i didn't have either of those i wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Shawna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually wash mine with baby wash and so far haven't been lanolizing them and haven't had any problems.

Ecomom deal from plum district.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You don't need to use lanolin, but it helps to stretch out the time period between needed washings.

You can wash your soaker in dish soap to really clean it out, no need to buy ecover.

As far as ecover being an approved wool wash, I would wager a guess that the store worker meant that it is approved to wash wool....not that it is a wool wash. There is a big difference. Being okay to wash wool with just means that it is gentle enough to wash your wool sweaters, skirts, jackets, etc with. You could do the same with woolite, ivory, anything gentle. (Like I said though, you can use dish soap to clean it and it will be fine! I do this every second month for night time soakers.) In our CD'ing minds, wool wash is something that is specially formulated to wash a wool diaper cover. It is usually a no-rinse, lanolin enriched solution and I don't think that ecover fits this category. (I could be wrong, but I doubt it in this case at least. )

For this time, I would suggest just washing in whatever you have around the house and not wasting money on a new product. Use dawn, baby shampoo, a mild laundry soap, etc. Then rinse it out fully.

Then, buy a wool wash that has lanolin in it or buy a tube of lansinoh for the next time that you need to wash. It really does help. You don't need to do an extra lanolizing step, but having the lanolin on the cover really is key to not washing as often.

I am sure that you local store has lanolin. Ask if they have Lansinoh or Pure-Lan. They may know it by brand name but not by what it is. Even a small pharmacy should have it with the baby and nursing supplies. If not, call your local health unit or health nurse and ask if she has a sample that you can have until you find some.

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!

Last edited by selinajean; 04-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I usually wash mine in babywash and then use something like eweneedit when I need more lanolin or if I am washing wool used for naps/bed.

Good to know that at least you have something else on hand to wash your wool in though.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selinajean View Post
You don't need to use lanolin, but it helps to stretch out the time period between needed washings.

You can wash your soaker in dish soap to really clean it out, no need to buy ecover.

As far as ecover being an approved wool wash, I would wager a guess that the store worker meant that it is approved to wash wool....not that it is a wool wash. There is a big difference. Being okay to wash wool with just means that it is gentle enough to wash your wool sweaters, skirts, jackets, etc with. You could do the same with woolite, ivory, anything gentle. (Like I said though, you can use dish soap to clean it and it will be fine! I do this every second month for night time soakers.) In our CD'ing minds, wool wash is something that is specially formulated to wash a wool diaper cover. It is usually a no-rinse, lanolin enriched solution and I don't think that ecover fits this category. (I could be wrong, but I doubt it in this case at least. )

For this time, I would suggest just washing in whatever you have around the house and not wasting money on a new product. Use dawn, baby shampoo, a mild laundry soap, etc. Then rinse it out fully.

Then, buy a wool wash that has lanolin in it or buy a tube of lansinoh for the next time that you need to wash. It really does help. You don't need to do an extra lanolizing step, but having the lanolin on the cover really is key to not washing as often.

I am sure that you local store has lanolin. Ask if they have Lansinoh or Pure-Lan. They may know it by brand name but not by what it is. Even a small pharmacy should have it with the baby and nursing supplies. If not, call your local health unit or health nurse and ask if she has a sample that you can have until you find some.
Hey, you changed your avatar! I almost didn't recognize "you." LOL

Thanks so much for the tips. You know, I used Lansinoh when I was nursing DS#1..and I didn't even realize it was lanolin until someone just pointed this out to me in a PM!! Gues I CAN get lanolin locally. LOL

I have some baby wash that is 99% natural. So I'll get some Lansinoh while I"m out tomorrow, and then wash and lanolize my soaker. Thanks so much!

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew Crafty Baby View Post
I usually wash mine in babywash and then use something like eweneedit when I need more lanolin or if I am washing wool used for naps/bed.

Good to know that at least you have something else on hand to wash your wool in though.
I only have 2 wool soakers, that's it for my wool stash. So I mainly use them for bed time. Sometimes I'll just keep the wool on him during the day. So since I MAINLY use my wool at night, I'll make sure to keep it lanolized really well.

Thanks
God bless,
Michelle

Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

didn't read all of the replies, but just as an fyi I'm pretty sure I saw lansinoh at Target the other day, and all baby stores in my area carry it with the breastfeeding supplies (pumps and such), including Toys'R'Us.
wild fire child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
selinajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Hey, you changed your avatar! I almost didn't recognize "you." LOL

Thanks so much for the tips. You know, I used Lansinoh when I was nursing DS#1..and I didn't even realize it was lanolin until someone just pointed this out to me in a PM!! Gues I CAN get lanolin locally. LOL

I have some baby wash that is 99% natural. So I'll get some Lansinoh while I"m out tomorrow, and then wash and lanolize my soaker. Thanks so much!

God bless,
Michelle
I keep updating it with new projects...I had the same avi for almost a year and just started changing it recently.

Most nursing moms probably do have lanolin on hand and don't even realize it! I had no clue what lanolin was until I started researching wool last year.

Do you know how to make your wool wash?

NickNaks - Become a Fan on Facebook for news and updates.
Grand Opening coming soon! Use earlybird20 for 20% off until the grand opening bash!
Also on dotCA!
selinajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild fire child View Post
didn't read all of the replies, but just as an fyi I'm pretty sure I saw lansinoh at Target the other day, and all baby stores in my area carry it with the breastfeeding supplies (pumps and such), including Toys'R'Us.
Thanks. Several stores around here carry Lansinoh, I just wasn't aware that it was pure lanolin. Now I know

Thanks so much.

God bless,
Michelle