Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I just vent my promlems in one thread?

Ok mama's...I'm 8 days into BF...and I'm still in sooo much pain! What makes me mad is that I just quit BFing my last baby 9 months ago and I can't believe that my nipples have gotten so wimpy since then.

I figured out I was latching her on wrong...so I have acually managed to clear up most of the cracked open, bleeding parts. However...they are still so unbelievably sore that I dread feeding time. Literally. I wish she would sleep all the time so I don't have to feed her.

Latch on is the most painful part on one side. I can almost fly through the roof at the pain but it starts to get less painful as she eats. However the other nipple...is acually a lot larger than the first nipple and no matter how much she tries she can't open her mouth large enough to fit it in properly. So it is just knifelike pain the entire feeding! I'm not usually a cusser but I have to feed her alone so that my little ones don't hear my potty mouth

Also, for some really wierd reason the larger nipple side isn't making much milk at all??? I don't know why because that wasn't an issue the last baby.So when she latches on that side she falls asleep quickly because she isn't getting much milk...so then I'm not enforcing a supply and demand on it and it's not making any more milk. While the other side is just busting at the seams every feeding...literally.

I'm using Lansinah and letting them get as much air as possible. I let them air out all night long..but I feel wierd walking around with my boobies hanging out during the day so I usually don't. I also am trying to avoid the breast pads as much as possible for more air flow through there.

Ok, so i don't know if there is any advice available that I dont' already know. But I just wanted to vent because I'm so upset and just want to hurry up through this painful stage and get to the enjoyable part of nursing again. With DD#1 I nursed 2 weeks and quit because I couldn't take it anymore. DD#2 stopped hurting right around 2 weeks...so HOpefully just a few more days of this....pray!

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
MommaRalph
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can I just vent my promlems in one thread?

Shannon but please keep it up! I had the same agonizing pain at the beginning but it passes before you know it.

My new blog! www.mommaralph.blogspot.com
MommaRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
KKDJLJA
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a pump. On the side that isnt producing much, maybe try pumping it after every feeding to bring that supply up some. I have to admit that with all my bf babies (4) that during those first few weeks when it was so painful I used to pump and feed with a bottle every now and again just for somewhat of a break. With that I would also work on getting the baby to really open wide and take in the main part of the nipple. I used the playtex bottles.
KKDJLJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gel soothies! And more gel soothies! They are the only things that kept me sane. ANd if you put them in the fridge it's heaven!
ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
jee_jee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKDJLJA View Post
Do you have a pump. On the side that isnt producing much, maybe try pumping it after every feeding to bring that supply up some. I have to admit that with all my bf babies (4) that during those first few weeks when it was so painful I used to pump and feed with a bottle every now and again just for somewhat of a break. With that I would also work on getting the baby to really open wide and take in the main part of the nipple. I used the playtex bottles.
cool. we have a few things in common mama! i am bf my 4 ds now and he 2.5 months but boy do i remember the first two weeks were miserable. i too used to pump just for relief and either freeze it ir use it and feed him with the avent nurser untill i got my boobs equalized and on a good comfort level when feeding. he didnt get confussed at all and i never felt guilty bc i knew thats what i HAD to do in order to keep nursing him. either that or i may have quit (probably not but it crossed my mind often)
anyway, i think after your milk comes in, give it about a good week and a half to be kinda rough, continue to nurse and pump or whatever you have to do and then it will get better soon mama, just think~ youre nuturing someone, sustaining life from your own with the best nutrition and its free!
jee_jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Awe, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I too remember those days. I think everyone goes through the MISERABLE first couple of weeks. I hurt and was engorged for the first month. After that though things got to leveling out and everything started flowing great. I didn't use a pump but it sounds like it may help. Please keep it up. I know that it is REALLY hard now, but it will pass. My mom told me OVER and Over again that the first month could be HORRIBLE but after it was over it would be good. She told me that the WHOLE time I was pregnant, so I was VERY prepared for All crap the first month of bfing but I wanted it sooo bad and was prepared and I got through it. Any of us who are bfing have done it. It is soooo worth it in the end. ((hugs)) I used the lanishol and warm baths A lot that helps with engorgement. Have you had a LC watch you nurse. That may help you with the side that she's not latching on correctly. What about a nipple shield? I didn't use one but I have heard of many women using them with lots of success. I hope things heal up for you soon. Good luck. LEt us know how things go and if we can do anything to help!!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

While she's eating on the good production side, try pumping the other side at the same time. Do give the pain a few weeks - it WILL get better. Just keep being picky about how she latches, etc. You're doing great! If the supply thing in the one breast isn't getting better, maybe you can really work on it after the pain subsides. It really is supply and demand and it can be worked on.
Again, you're doing awesome! Just hang in there!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the painful latch-on for the first few weeks too. And just like you've already said, if you make it through the first few weeks it will get better. I definatly second, third, whatever, a breastpump. Even a small for occasional use electric one. I had a Medela single that had an attachment for another cone and turned into a double. Then I lent it to my friend and she lost it. I got a Medela Double Ease and OMG, it was a life saver when I had a plugged duct! I thought I had a tumor or breast cancer, I was hyperventilating and dh called the advice nurse and she helped me get through it. I BFd for 4mos and ended up having serious supply issues.
Anyway, it really did take some working on but will get better!! There is also a Gerber nipple relief stick that doesn't hurt as much as the Lansinoh. And also, try the Soothies gel pads that go over your nipples. THOSE are great!!! You can get them at the grocery store now! My Albertsons carried them and then discounted them.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitly have used my pump...I just got an evenflo electric one but it does the job. I'm going to take a break on the funky side for a day or two and pump it out. I have been pumping off and on to give them a break. She's gone great back and forth between the bottle and the breast. Thanks everyone...I think they are getting better because I was acually able to let the shower water hit them today without having to shield them with my hands

My mom NEVER had any pain with any of her BFing babies...isnt' she lucky. So she doesn't understand what I'm going through. If only that was hereditary

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds to me like the baby isn't latching correctly. Find a LLL leader in your area and have them help, or go see a LC.

Don't stop! It will get better!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote