Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I just vent my promlems in one thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
I'm so depressed. I cried and cried last night. Nursing is SO important to me...like I still regret that I wasn't informed enough to continue nursing my oldest through the pain. The bond I felt with my second DD was amazing and I can't stand not getting to do it again with Layla.

My breasts are both decreasing their milk supply. My left(with the bigger nipple) couldn't produce a drop for over 9 hours. It was completly soft...nothing My right was able to make 4oz a few days ago and I got 2 oz out now.It's not making enough to keep her full and I had to give her formula. She slept so good I felt awful because I hate to not be able to fill her up.

My mom told me to drink more...I don't think I'm drinking nearly enough. And to just let her nurse more. She is going to talk to some people at church today too and see what they say to do.

I'm just so confused. I had more than enough milk with my last baby. It would squirt her all over the face if she didn't latch on immediatly....now I have nothing. I am just so emotional over this...I feel like I'm failing again. I know it's not my fault but I still can't handle that I have no control over this. I'm so scared it's all gonna just dry up no matter what I do.

Dh has been feeling bad for me because of the pain and telling me to just formula feed but he didn't know I was crying last night and he finally saw me and just felt horrible for me. I know this is hard on him too.
You may just not be getting as engorged this time- since you have nursed a baby before, your breasts just may adjust faster, yk? And only make enough for the baby.
Also, the pump doesn't get out nearly as much as a baby. Your pumping output is not at all representative of your nursing capacity. I have a close friend who cannot get a drop from a pump, but EBF'd her baby for 6 months, so I know it's true.
Get rid of the formula, and I know it hurts but just nurse nurse nurse. The pain will get better. Have you tried pulling her bottom lip down after she latches? My dd would fold hers under and have a bad latch, but you can't really see it b/c it's under your breast.
And water. Carry around a giant glass of water everywhere you go, around the house. The first few weeks it's so important.
YOU CAN DO IT! I believe in you, just believe in yourself.

Advertisement

kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #22
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

I would take the amount you pump with a grain of salt. I was never much of a pumper. I feed 2 kids for over a year each and could never pump more than 2 oz at a time. Even first thing in the morning, after only feeding on the other side through the night.

Watch that you don't give too much formula, remember it is supply and demand. I found with my second I wasn't as engorged. After the first few days of initial milk coming in the engorgement it was gone.

Have you tried different holds? When I was crying in pain at the beginning I found the foot ball hold less painful. Perhaps because it was compressing a different area of the nipple? (Funny thing is other than that I never used that hold)

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
You may just not be getting as engorged this time- since you have nursed a baby before, your breasts just may adjust faster, yk? And only make enough for the baby.
Also, the pump doesn't get out nearly as much as a baby. Your pumping output is not at all representative of your nursing capacity. I have a close friend who cannot get a drop from a pump, but EBF'd her baby for 6 months, so I know it's true.
Get rid of the formula, and I know it hurts but just nurse nurse nurse. The pain will get better. Have you tried pulling her bottom lip down after she latches? My dd would fold hers under and have a bad latch, but you can't really see it b/c it's under your breast.
And water. Carry around a giant glass of water everywhere you go, around the house. The first few weeks it's so important.
YOU CAN DO IT! I believe in you, just believe in yourself.

Hang in there mama, PLEASE YIM me if you need to vent! I'm here!

YOU CAN DO THIS! I know you can because you have the want, yk? DRINK DRINK DRINK! mama, we are here for you!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #24
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

You have gotten some awesome advice, so I will just offer some hugs!!

Hang in there and keep with it! I think the first 3-6 weeks of BFing are the hardest, even if you've done it once or twice before!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #25
daisybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had sore nipple for awhile with this one. I lived on the Soothie gel pads--just found great deals on them here and ebay. Also, I can't pump at all! I've tried different pumps and can't get but a few drops out, but I can hand express. Pumping also just made my nipples feel worse!! If you don't have a problem with pumping try your hospital's lactation consultant as most hospitals have a loaner pump program where they loan you a hospital grade pump for a couple of weeks. I hope you feel better!! Those first few weeks can be very difficult, but it is just temporary. I love it when I nurse Caleb now and he'll just stop and smile at me!!
daisybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #26
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you get some soothies? Those were lifesavers for me! You CAN do this. Have you talked to an LC? Maybe pumping on the less-producing side while she's nursing on the other would help boost supply...? Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 AM   #27
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Shannon, can the baby push her tongue out? Can you lift her tongue...this level of pain makes me wonder if she is "tongue tied." It's super easy to fix and can make all the difference in the world and sometimes latch difficulty/painful nursing is the first clue. If there is a LC you can resource at the hosptial where she was born, please please call and see if you can make an appointment ASAP before it gets any worse. Also, if you PM me your address I will mail you my Medela Pump In Style double pump. I knew I was keeping it for someone who really needed it.

Last edited by Dawnn; 12-11-2006 at 04:37 AM.
Dawnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #28
little*sprouts*garden
Banned
seller

Keep up the good work momma!! You CAN do this!!

I think you may notice a "decrease" in your milk supply as you have already had cuties before so your body is able to adjust a bit better. For example, when I had my son (9 years ago) I was soooooo engorged I looked like Dolly Parton....literally! It was like I would want to yell into the next room to announce I was coming so everyone could clear the way so they wouldn't bump into me as I was in pain (I am usually quite small "endowed")

Then, when I had my daughter....7 years later I had the engorgement all over again (but that time not quite so "Dolly Parton-ish")

When I had my son six months ago I had basically NO engorgement and my boobs just kinda seemed to kick right into gear! I still had the rough first couple of weeks but that of course passed and now it is a breeze.

You CAN make it through these weeks of pain!! Just keep thinking of the fact that you are doing this for your baby and this is THE BEST possible thing you can do for your childs health!!

Also, toss that formula!!! Get it out of the house.....that way you won't feel like there is any other option BUT to nurse!

Good Luck Momma!!

Hang in there!!
little*sprouts*garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #29
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking of the tounge thing too. I know it's much more difficult and sometimes impossible for a baby that is tounge tied to latch on correctly. I'd def. get that checked. Hang in there were still thinking of you!!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #30
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw...hang in there, mama
I remember getting the worst blister on day #2 WHILE the LC was standing there telling me what to do. Every time DD latched on, I had to do my labor breathing, or would make a long outgoing breath, like I do when my estethician waxes the sensitive areas. It was AWFUL!
Like you said, though--after 2w, things should get better. Every LC I've ever talked to says 'give it just 2w'--not much longer to go and everything should feel a bit better.
Till then, keep cursing. Do what you have to do. DEFINITELY drink more water (I see a huge diff. in what I pump at work when I don't drink during the day)--I always thought new mommy's should be given one of those Camelback water thingys that hikers wear--you'd have it on you all the time that way ANd like PP said, call the LC from the hospital, or somewhere. You need someone who's first suggestion WON'T be to FF, someone who's been there...and someone to help you relax a bit. I'm sure the stress isn't helping.