Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #31
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I just vent my promlems in one thread?

I was there with my first dd, and with #2 a couple months ago I had a nasty blister, but it wasn't as bad. With dd #1 it was so painful I'd curl my toes and wince and grip the arm of the couch! I used a medela nipple shield (was recommended to me by my lc) for a few weeks and it saved my ability to nurse!!! I used it for the whole feeding for a day or so, then just until the milk started flowing and she wasn't as hungry after that. (I'd slip it off when I burped her and latch her on to the bare breast after that, and it wasn't nearly as painful.) You can get them at Target for $6-7. It will get better!

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #32
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

i know it's so so hard, between the stress you're feeling and the pain, but try to relax when you're nursing - tension will only make it harder for your milk to let down, and can affect your supply. try not to worry about tomorrow or the next day (or even the next feeding!) just take a deep breath, relax, get comfy, and just try to get through the feeding you're working on. have a cup of mother's milk tea, and maybe even take the baby into the bath tub with you, or lay down in bed with some soothing music and dim lights and just lay skin to skin with your baby - sometimes a nurse-in can really help re-establish supply and get things back on track.

drinking a lot of water is definitely key, and if you haven't already tried eating oatmeal, you definitely should. even now at 16 months i still get engorged if i eat oatmeal more than 2 days in a row. it's a galactagogue and can help boost your supply. if you can get to a healthfood store, or better yet get someone to go for you, you should also pick up some Mother's Milk tea - it's also tremendously helpful. Fenugreek helps too - pills or tea. that should get your supply back on the right track while you work out the latching/pain issues.

have you seen a LC? sometimes a good LC can fix a latch problem in minutes and *boom* - everything just falls right into place. it's so worth it. or even a LLL leader (or for that matter another mom who's nursed babies) - sometimes it takes someone looking on from a different vantage point to spot a problem.

keep telling yourself YOU CAN DO THIS! and remember that you've got a lot of crashing hormones going on too, and that can make you weepy and overly emotional, so try not to take things to heart too much - in a few weeks this will probably all seem like a bad dream.
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #33
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do this. And if you need to rent a good pump and let your breasts heal for a couple of days, it may help.

The biggest piece of advice my mom gave me was everytime I sat down to nurse, down a glass of water, or better yet a water bottle. Fill 'er up and chug it down. Supply seems to be directly linked to water intake, for me.

SAHMLamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #34
rae_g
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you're going through this! I too had terrible pain in the first few weeks with both my kids, and it wasn't a latch problem. I think my nipples just needed to get used to it, like building up callouses.

It really helped me to take 3 Motrin 1/2 an hour before nursing. I can't take anything with codeine, so my OB prescribed 8 Motrin as my PP pain reliever, so 3 is really not a big deal. It really did help. It still hurt, but it was a little more manageable to have the edge taken off a little bit.

Hang in there, mama! You can do this! It is only up hill from here, girl!
Rachel- Mama to 2 Big Kids and #3 Coming Soon!
rae_g is offline   Reply With Quote