Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Re: I don't know what to do. I let him cry :(

supply has always been an issue. I've tried everything, this is why I started giving him a bottle of formula before bed. I'm even on domperidone. He's gaining weight at a steady rate so I don't THINK he's hungry, could still be though.

and it could be teething but this has been going on getting steadily worse for 2 months. we do cosleep but he doesn't sleep well with me and I don't sleep well scrunched into the corner of my bed. I try the crib but usually end up giving up after the first feeding.

Advertisement

Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

I also think this is not enough sleep. Though we really don't have it down here either. I let my son cry for 40 minutes last night at midnight until I couldn't take it anymore and went in and got him back to sleep. But he has a cold, and I think he's teething. So I too felt bad after he fell asleep and he was still sort of hiccuping.

But that doesn't sound like near enough sleep. This is my son's schedule now, and was also about the same at 6 months.

7-8am: up for the day, nurse
9ish: prepare for nap, nurse *breakfast - but we didn't add this until 7mo.
He usually sleeps for 60-90minutes.
11-11:30ish: up from nap, nurse
1ish: prepare for nap again, nurse
He usually sleeps again for 60-90minutes
3-4ish: up from nap, nurse
5pm: dinner (cereal, veg, fruit, whatever he'll eat. I let him decide how much he wants)
6:00 up to prepare for bed. bath, story, nurse in bed by 7at the latest. He's down by 8.

He gets up 1-2x a night to nurse, but goes right back to sleep.

So for my son, he gets on average 11 or so hours at night and 2-3 hours during the day for 13-14 total hours of sleep.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

This sounds just like my 2nd son. I also hate to admit it, but I let him cry also for 2 mo. straight! He was plenty old enough to sleep a good 6hrs. straight, but he just wouldn't. I would get him everytime he would cry and he would latch on the fall asleep two seconds later and the second I would put him in his crib he would start screaming. Nothing seemed to soothe him except being latched and me being wide awake holding him, and that was def. not going to happen and I wasn't going to let him sleep with me. So every morning around 3am he would wake up crying and he would cry himself back to sleep for about 2 mo. He is still an aweful sleeper and is almost 1. Some kids are just like that. Him crying isn't hurting him any, but me attending every whimper when I'm exhausted only makes me more aggitated and frustrated during the day with the kids,so I find it best to just let him get his fussiness out by himself. I looked at your schedule...he doesn't look like he is sleeping enough during the day...I know it sounds weird....since he's up all night (you would think he sleeps too much). But if he has longer naps he might feel better at night and not be so grumpy and sleep better. Just a suggestion. But don't feel bad!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
mamafishy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was just going to ask about teething, I found with my DS that his schedule always off and that he would wake up more frequently when he was getting a new tooth ( When they don't feel 100% it's always the boob they seem to want). Hang in there. sometimes as mama's we have to try things that we thought we would never try (cio), it works for some and doesn't work for others. Can you pump and get your DH to help you out if the same thing happens again so that you can get a little extra sleep?
mamafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

he won't take breastmilk from a bottle oddly enough. he will take formula, only canned, and even then it's a struggle (he would prefer to play with it than to eat it).

I might have my mom do a night shift. I don't know if I can make it to the weekend so DH can take over, and even if he does he usually wakes me up or can't soothe him.

ETA: I'll try and get him sleeping more, maybe he'll get tired earlier that way.

Last edited by Liddle1; 04-08-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
Don't cut out the nap, and don't wake him up! Try for a *longer* nap instead. A nap should be at *least* 45 minutes, and 90-120 would not be unreasonable at that hour. Seriously, your LO might be overtired, which makes it hard for him to sleep. (Think about when you've stayed up till 2 to finish a big project.) I think you might be waiting a little too long before trying to put him to bed, other than in the morning. I would aim for this instead:

8am up
9:30 start nap routine (nursing, whatever) -- expect sleep from 10-11, say
12:30 or 1:00 start nap routine
4:30 or 5:00 maybe a very brief nap
8pm down

Look for drowsy -- not overtired -- signs. The Baby Whisperer book has a good list. Some of them: when the baby starts to look a little vacant or stops playing.

And instead of CIO, what I would work on is being able to take him off the breast quicker at night. DD2 would love to nurse and nap from 7 to 10 or 11, but unless I'm feeling lazy, I keep her awake long enough to get a good feeding (rubbing her cheek etc), and then detach her and *jiggle* her. She'll wail a bit, since she wants to use me as a pacifier, but about half the time five minutes of jiggling her up on my shoulder puts her to sleep. And then I carry her up to her bed. This typically wakes her again, so I leave my hands on her and jiggle-jiggle-jiggle for another five minutes. Again, right now maybe half the time she fusses and wakes too fully -- but the other half, she goes to sleep!

Once your son goes to sleep, you take 30-60 minutes to do what must be done, and then you go to bed too, no matter how early it feels. <g>

Ideally I want to put my daughter down drowsy but awake. I trained my other daughter this way at around 7 months, letting her wail from boredom or yell in anger but not cry from heartbreak, and people who only knew her after 10 months or so say how lucky we are that she liked her crib and could put herself back to sleep. Ha! We trained her to be that way because I couldn't handle the 45 minutes to put her back to sleep *every* time she woke up! But right now I don't have the energy and patience to train DD2....

Hope something here helps!

ETA: Six-month increased wakings could be related to teething. With DD2, we didn't feel the tooth coming in and she didn't mind us rubbing her gum, but she had a few miserable nights and then pop! first tooth! You could give Tylenol a try.
We have almost the same exact schedule, but my dd goes to bed around 7:00 instead of 8:00. It sounds weird but sleep begets sleep. Don't scale back on sleep...try to get him to sleep more. Nap time sleep and night time sleep go hand in hand. My dd always sleeps better and longer at night when she's had better naps. You're not a bad mom for letting him cry. I let dd fuss for a few minutes when I know she's tired and all of her needs have been met. If she really starts crying then I go to her we play for a little while and I try again later. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Try cosleeping during the day with him, while your other children sleep if you have more, and he will sleep way longer!!!! I hope you figure things out, but you can do it, don't give up...just nurse him once during night and any other time just let him cry himself to sleep. Some are stubburn like mine and will do that everynight but others usually learn they aren't going to be tended to and fall right back asleep. Keep up the good work!!! I dread the newborn stage (although yours is 6mo.) because of the lack of sleep!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace View Post
We have almost the same exact schedule, but my dd goes to bed around 7:00 instead of 8:00. It sounds weird but sleep begets sleep. Don't scale back on sleep...try to get him to sleep more. Nap time sleep and night time sleep go hand in hand. My dd always sleeps better and longer at night when she's had better naps. You're not a bad mom for letting him cry. I let dd fuss for a few minutes when I know she's tired and all of her needs have been met. If she really starts crying then I go to her we play for a little while and I try again later. Good luck!
Def. true about sleeping during the day! The more you try and keep his naps short and him awake all day, the more restless and aggitated he will be at night time and the more he will wake up. Somehow you have to find what works for him and then really stick to it, until it becomes just a rountine for him.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Mama...don't beat yourself up for this. You said you were afraid you were going to shake him...what do you was good for both of you. Letting him cry for a while though you didn't like it was in the best interest of both of you at that moment. Hope you can find some things that work.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #20
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Another vote for more daytime sleep. My about-to-turn-3 yr old and 19 mos old both get one 1-2 hr nap a day and they go to be later and wake up more when they miss it! Overtired babies/toddlers do not sleep well at night.

You could also do CIO but go in and pick him up every 10 min, soothe him any way except nursing. Put him down, set a time, then go back (heck, go back sooner if you think he/you needs it) and do it again- pick him up and bounce or rock, ANYTHING except nursing. I did this with Owen at 6 mos when I could tell he no longer needed to nurse and he started waking a lot more at night. The thing is, he didn't like me leaving the room and he was ticked off when I came back in and refused to let him nurse. At first. Then it was like he figured out that he was lucky I was there jiggling him and he stopped expecting to nurse. For him, that is all it took to head towards sleeping through the night. He still woke some for another 6 mos, and I would scoop him up, give him his paci, sing one song (same one every single time) and put him back down. If he cried, I walked straight out of the room, no hesitation at all, and gave it 10 min. He rarely got to 10 min. He woke up less and less and took 3 good naps a day also.

That said, not all babies are that easy to do this with and it DOES involve crying. But, you are setting limits and not abandoning him. He will get it that you will come to him, but not immediately and there will be no more nursing.

I did the same thing with Luke and it worked as well, though not quite as easily as Owen. He still woke several times a night after the night weaning, but it was brief wakings, so much easier to deal with than all night nurse-a-thons.