Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #41
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't know what to do. I let him cry :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
well he still got up about 6 times at night and only spent 2 hours in his crib before i brought him to bed. he was up at 7:30. i'll keep trying to get him to nap today
Oh mama, that must be so hard-- I can't imagine dealing with that little sleep. My carrier suggestion is a mei tai. I LOVE mine, and I used it for DD2 from 4 months to 2 years. I really think moving the bedtime to 7-ish would help a lot, and I agree with you that his big "meal" should be at noon. It's possible that the baby food (or even the formula) is hard to digest and it's keeping him up.

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #42
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are making progress! :clap: I'm so glad YOU are feeling better. Sleep can do wonders for your mommy powers. It will take a few days, but you sound like you are definitely on the right track.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #43
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

update:

so this morning, when he chewed on my finger 2 of his teeth on the bottom have FINALLY gotten through the gums. ugh... poor guy, now I feel even WORSE that I let him cry the other day.

not only that, but today for the first time he was constipated and struggling to poo. so I've cut out his rice cereal and taken him off banana for now. I put him on oatmeal and sweet potato.

last night he got up twice in his crib in 2 hours but then when he slept with me he only woke up 3 times. he was up at 7:30 and DH took him so I could sleep till 10 which was awesome. he didn't want to be covered and kept kicking the blankets off so I let him sleep with nothing on and he was better. I wonder if the blankets are bugging him so I'll try with only a light swaddling blanket under his armpits tonight.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #44
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

mama. sometimes it's rough. i'm a big "sleep begets sleep" believer, since i had a super fussy/needy newborn who was actually, as it turns out, just easily overstimulated.

as soon as she was getting enough quailty naptime (at least 1.5 hours in a stretch) she started sttn.

if it's any consolation, from where i stand now (just a few months later, really) it seems like such a short little time in her life.
aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #45
Liddle1
Registered Users

he seems to have settled into a routine of awake for 2 hours, feed, sleep for an hour duing the day at least. i'm paying more attention to when he gets sleepy eyes and am altering my schedule to get him his naps more
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #46
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom92905 View Post
Mama...don't beat yourself up for this. You said you were afraid you were going to shake him...what do you was good for both of you. Letting him cry for a while though you didn't like it was in the best interest of both of you at that moment. Hope you can find some things that work.
This I second. Sometimes, you just have to walk away and at least the little one is safe in the crib.

I hated to do it but there was a period of time that I did a lot of CIO with my daughter because that was the only time I had to get things done like eat and just be able to take a little time out for myself without going crazy (it was during a time when hubby and I were apart and I was staying with my older sister). I still feel bad about and wonder if it didn't slow down her growth but in the end, she did get beyond it and when my husband and I did get back together and got a place, she slept through the night. But ugh, months 6-10 were a NIGHTMARE! She barely slept at all those months and I STILL have no idea why!

So I totally feel for you.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #47
seahawk
Registered Users

There is some great stuff here. I just wanted to add that I have no problem nursing my son to sleep. We do have sleep problems a lot like yours. Every time there is a new tooth it can last for months. Developmental changes also seem to cause it.

I have just had to decide that I don't care that much about getting things done. Napping is important, for me and DS. But my son only sleeps well when I hold him if he is teething or sick. We can't cosleep in the bed. I wish we could but I am miserable. So, I put a recliner in our bedroom and in his room and we also have one in the family room. I nurse him to sleep and after he is out good, or if I am really tired while he is nursing, I go to sleep too. I just put the chair back and we sleep right there. I can usually tell if he is going to be able to sleep in his crib or if I just need to give up my plans of housework and sit there and hold him. Once I decided that, I actually came to enjoy it. He is not going to be this age forever and he is so active that is the only time I get to cuddle him a whole bunch. And, now that he sleeps better, that is my computer time.

Now, most of my friends kids started sleeping through the night when they were a year old, but my DS decided to hold out. He also woke up a lot more in the night than most kids I know of. He is 2 now. The last year has been off and on, but nothing like every 2 hours. Maybe a couple times a night, which just seems awful now. Just when you get used to him sleeping through the night, he wakes up a whole bunch. Just when you think you can't take another night, he sleeps through. We just finished up the 2 year molars, so I am hoping that we will be in one of the sleeps through the night stages forever.

Good luck. Sleep issues are so important and sooo prevalent.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #48
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I probably would have done the same thing you did. By 6 months, we had done the no-cry til i was blue in the face and it didn't work. she had to learn to self soothe.

You also sound like you could use an hour or two to yourself. Do you have a friend or neighbor that would come take the baby for a little bit so you can nap/relax?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-11-2009 at 01:42 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #49
Liddle1
Registered Users

I had a friend offer to come watch him while I nap or vaccuum etc, nice girl I have managed to sleep in twice and dh takes him, but still he has times when he just wants mom so unless i want to hear him fuss for an hour i get up.

I'm getting some letters and putting the word "cherish" above his crib, to remind me that it won't last forever and one day i'll miss these times