Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Making dried gabanzon beans ediable

OKay... DSIL is in town.. she's a master hummus maker... and I've got some kind of surplus of dried garbanzo beans thanks to WIC. So.. I tried reconsituting them last night. I boiled them for a few minutes and let them sit in the water.. overnight... now there's still kind of.. um.. crunchy. I've never done this before and I"ve always used canned. What else can I do to make them softer?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
attachmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Making dried gabanzon beans ediable

You might try putting them in the crock pot with some water for 2-3 hours. I think the easiest way to prepare any type of dried bean is to rinse them and put them in the crockpot with about three times as much water. With the crockpot on low, most beans will be done in about nine hours. I usually do this before going to bed and they're done in the morning. Since I started doing it this way, I almost always use dry beans instead of canned because it's so easy. Hope this helps. Good luck!
attachmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
kiramamma
Registered Users

Re: Making dried gabanzon beans ediable

The boiling and soaking is generally a good first step. Now, drain them, cover them with water again and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer awhile (you might check the package for a time here) until they are tender. I like to add some garlic and chicken stock to them when bringing to the second boil (boullion cubes work well) and whatever other spices you'd like. Good luck!
kiramamma is offline   Reply With Quote