Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #21
Tanilovelol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

With the thought of them outgrowing those shoes in about 2 to 3 months from birth to about 3 years I definitely go for hand me downs, friends and family that pass them down haven't given me anything that I think is in bad condition and then my oldest shoes are saved for my youngest. If they need a certain shoe and I don't come across one in a thrift shop in good shape my last resort is brand new. That's us and it works because we clean them well. If my kids had problems with their feet then I would definitely not use pre-worn but as it is I won't pass on the blessing of saving money.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I buy some of DD1's Stride Rite shoes new on ebay for cheaper than at the store. I can't hand down DD1's shoes to DD2 because they don't fit DD2. DD1 has small narrow feet and DD2 has chunky big feet. So none of DD1's shoes fit DD2.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #23
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is just starting in shoes now and all of hers are thrift store shoes. We are also on a *very* tight budget, so I just cannot send the extra $ on shoes. But she really needs them. So I got hunting. I only get ones that are not at all or barely worn. I got 5 pairs of never worn teva's, carters, baby gap, stride right, and robeez for a grand total of $4.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

i will only get used shoes if they are a type that do not take the shape of the foot, like leather shoes or crocks. my dh worked in a podiatry office for 2 years and would have a fit if i put the kids in used shoes. i love too stock up on shoes at payless when they have the BOGO sale. i buy three pair for ods, one in the size he is currently in and 2 in the next size up. then a pair for myself. it usually ends up that they have the bogo sale just as we pull out the last pair. you can get a really great deal if you find clearance shoes with the bogo. which is easy here...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #25
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't wear hand me down shoes because my gait is weird, someone else's worn in shoes will throw it off.
I DO let Sarah wear hand me downs because at this age kids wear shoes for like 2 minutes and they're too small. She's the smallest girl in our playgroup, so she's getting tons of looks like new hand me downs.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #26
ktmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I save my older DDs shoes for younger DD, but that is it. My oldest DD blew through shoe sizes, many were barely worn. So, we use those. There were a few pairs that were quite worn and I didn't save them.
Katie - DD#1 - 5/05 and DD#2 - 4/07
Search and Win with swagbucks
See my Shopping Reviews
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:29 AM   #27
shlee111
Registered Users
seller

We use used shoes ALL THE TIME. I can't afford to buy the amt/quality of shoes that I'd like to have otherwise. They of course must look good/not too worn.

Ashley

Mommie to precious 5 year old Ava and handsome Harrison, 2 years
shlee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #28
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we take what we can get. LOL. I am more concerned about the soles being worn than anything else. We've never gotten hand me down sandals - so and they always wear socks with the sneakers.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #29
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

only if they are from friends or family. I heard something before about how its not good because we all have different shaped feet etc....but I still do it
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #30
Jenfrogmomcpst
Registered Users
Formerly: Say It With Heat
seller

I was also under the impression that it is not ok to put your kids in used shoes. I have once in a while but, I can normally get a sale or something so I just do that.