Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #61
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

is there an actual medical reason not to let a developing baby wear pre-worn shoes or is this just sort of paranoia or individual pet peeves of those who prefer new shoes?

i have 3 boys so the younger two have some new and some hand-me-down shoes. if there is a medical reason not to do this I would consider not letting them wear the used ones. does anyone know anything factual about this?

(i didn't read the entire thread, so i may have missed something)

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #62
RobinP92202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have three boys and I do keep the oldest's shoes as hand me downs. I buy each boy their own new pair of sneakers or sandals (every day shoes) every season but the younger ones wear hand me down snow boots, dress shoes, old tennis shoes for messy play, etc.
RobinP92202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #63
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do. I sometimes get them at consignment shops and on here in the Children's Items section.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #64
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used to, but I don't anymore. I was reading a study (sorry, I don't have a link) that basically stated that shoes mold to the form of the foot using it, so when you use a hand-me-down shoe, it isn't correctly shaped for the new child's foot and can harm that foot's proper development. DH and I both read it and it's cited other studies and decided that we'd switch to new shoes only. However, I'd prob still use hand-me-down snowboats, rainboots, etc, which don't see much wear. However, we don't get snow OR enough rain around here to justify owning either type of shoe.

ETA: My newly walking DS has 1 pair of shoes (Pediped originals sandals). He'll prob get a second pair (sandals that can get wet) for the summer.

My DD has 4 pairs of shoes, one pair of tennis shoes (that she's abt to outgrow and won't be replaced until winter), one pair of dressy shoes for Sunday (also abt to be outgrown and won't be replaced until winter), one pair of sandals that can get wet (Sal****er sandals) and one pair of everyday/dressy sandals (for church and nice outfits). She usually only has 2 pairs of shoes, but I've already bought her summer shoes and she still fits in her winter ones (but they're almost never worn b/c it's already 85*+ around here during the day). If my kids had lots of shoes, there's no way I could afford new all the time.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 05-21-2010 at 12:30 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #65
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

You should add a poll to this. We only do new shoes for my son now that he's walking. Unless they're something like rain boots, snow boots, or soft soles. Any other day to day shoe is new. When he's done w/ them I'll be getting rid of them and the next kid will have new as well.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #66
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's no way I could afford to put DS in good quality new shoes, at the rate his feet grow. He wears SKRs pretty much exclusively because of his thick, wide feet, and they are all used.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #67
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sure! I mean, they'd have to be in decent condition, not really skanky or something, but yeah, my kids would totally wear hand-me-down shoes. I'd wear second hand shoes myself if I found some I liked at a thrift shop or something. I can't recall doing that in the past 10 years, but I've got no problem with it at all. We'll use basically anything that's still in relatively good condition. I don't think I'd do hand-me-down undies... although as a kid we did just that and lived to tell the tale! LOL I'd still prefer not if at all possible. (Off topic, but why is it that hand-me-down undies are thought of as icky, but hand-me-down diapers are a-ok with just about anyone, myself included? It's a weird double standard. LOL)
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #68
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am VERY picky about buying used shoes. They have to be in excellent or like new condition. If not, I don't buy. But I've kind of fallen in love with Soft Star Shoes so my DD basically only wears those now.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #69
tea&oranges
Registered Users
Formerly: mainepotato
seller

My Mood:

Shoes that are going to be worn a lot - like sneakers & everyday mary janes, etc, I always buy new, but we've had friends give us special occasion shoes that were worn very little and I don't have any problem with that. Also I save dressy shoes, rain boots, and other hardly worn shoes from my older daughter to hand down to my younger daughter.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #70
kittyn
Registered Users
seller

Everyday shoes, new, always. There is significant research saying that used shoes mold to the feet of the original wearer and can force the new wearers feet into shapes improper for them. Now when my bub has recently outgrown his shoes, if I've been given a pair that fits him used, he'll wear them for a few days, and I don't worry so much about dress shoes or things he doesn't wear for long or consistantly (my kid has like 7 pairs of sandals, so if one or two pairs are used, I don't much mind since he switched which pair he wears every time he walks past his shoes if it's warm enough to wear them).

If you're worried about $$, check clearance racks and the evil WalMart (I picked up a pair of decent play shoes the other day from walmart for like $9). And you can find new with tags shoes for toddlers and babies frequently at thrift stores since they do outgrow them so fast.
kittyn is offline   Reply With Quote