Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #71
Weecycled Woolies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you let your kids wear hand-me-down shoes?

I buy most of our shoes used.

If they molded to the previous owners feet, then they will mold to mine/kids in a couple of wears.

Birkenstocks for example. I got a used pair at a thrift store for $2 for myself. They were probably the most used shoes I have ever bought. Since they last forever, I figured they wouldn't be falling apart anytime soon no matter how broken in they are.

The first time I wore them I could feel the other persons foot indention. After the 3rd or 4th time I had worn them, my feet impressions were they only thing you could feel and they fit like they were made for my feet.

I never buy used sneakers though only because sneakers won't remold to someone else's feet.

The kids only have sneakers for P.E. though so I only buy 1 pair a year for each kid. Every other shoes they have are leather boots (elefanten, used of course), birkenstock type sandals, robeez for the little ones and crocs. My kids are also known to wear crocs with socks all through the winter.

So, if they are leather, they will remold to the new owners feet. I am still skeptical about sneakers so I stay away, but we don't wear sneakers much around here.

DH is a runner and gets a special pair of new running shoes once a year. He then has his ABU boots that he wears at work and has 1 other pair of low cut timerberland shoes that he bought new over 5 years ago lol. Since he is either at work, the gym, or at home that's all he needs!

Advertisement

Last edited by Weecycled Woolies; 05-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Weecycled Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #72
amglenn2621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never let my daughter wear used shoes because my uncle is a chiropractor who says it's terrible for growing feet, basically for all the reasons PPs have stated. We will buy used most anything else, but not shoes.

Check out our handmade glass at catscratchglass.etsy.com

Earn Prizes at Swagbucks!
amglenn2621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #73
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ofcourse there is nothing wrong with it as long as they are not really worn or look gross i think
mommieofpees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #74
jellybelly37
formerly J*****e
seller

My Mood:

Not generally for myself (because I probably buy one pair every 2 years, lol!) but for kids if they're in good condition I don't mind. That's because they go through them so quickly that generally second hand ones are not that worn anyway.
jellybelly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #75
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

The only thing I have a problem with buying used is adult underwear. Not diapers, though. I just think adult fluid has a bigger ick factor than kid pee and poop.
I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with used shoes unless they were falling apart.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #76
mommyto3beautifulbabes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do not do preowned shoes. I am concerned about problems that are associated with development and back as shoes are supposed to form to your feet. That being said I did keep my eldest ds' Keen shoes and Crocs but I am going to have to research this type of shoe bed and whether or not it will work.
mommyto3beautifulbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #77
Carey-Anne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I only let them wear their siblings gently used shoes or else gently used ones from another. Mainly dress shoes or hardly used shoes. I will keep other shoes/boots in case of an emergency. Ie. there have been times when child has outgrown footwear and I just can't find sandles/boots anywhere as they have already been sold out. I know I have heard they should not wear other's shoes because the used shoes have been molded to the previous child's foot so it is not healthy for your feet. Trying to save $$ where we can, but yes they still get plenty of new shoes too

I am also a WAHM who sells Avon and Regal gifts. Please e-mail me for a catalogue or website catalogue link

Last edited by Carey-Anne; 05-21-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Carey-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #78
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep..a lot of DD's shoes are from the consignment store. I can't afford Robeez but I can find some really nice ones at the store for practically nothing. I personally wouldn't wear used shoes unless they were from someone I knew. Adult feet are nasty...baby feet are sweet!

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #79
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I let my younger one wear shoes from my older daughter, she grew so fast she hardly wore some of those shoes, including new Stride Rites. I will ALWAYS hand down dress shoes, which get worn so infrequently.

But it kind of icks me out to wear hand me down shoes from someone you don't know. I guess I don't have a good reason for it, but I would rather buy them $15 new shoes from Target.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #80
doodah
Registered Users
seller

we all wear second hand but I do make an effort to purchase like new shoes for the kids where there is not wear on the inside or tread wear on the outer or any signs showing that the shoes have formed around another child's feet. You CAN find like-new or even new shoes at kids consignment stores or even here on FSOT.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote