Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
clogged duct for 2.5 days now......

so what on earth do i do that i haven't already done i'm afraid it's now turning into mastitis and i have no clue what else to do!!!! so far this is what i've done:

heating pad
guzzling water
dangle nursing
massaging
heat
nursing on that side first
allowing comfort nursing till the poor kid puked

what else it hurts to even move that arm too much unless i have the heating pad there and hurts up into my arm pit anyhow.....please help!!!!!

Advertisement

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: clogged duct for 2.5 days now......

You don't say what kind of bra you wear? If you wear one with underwires, cut out the underwires, asap! Those things should never be put into nursing bras, they cause sooooooo many problems.

Then, go to bed...all day. Only get out of bed to go to the bathroom and get something to eat, although if your S.O. can help you out with this and bring you food/drinks in bed, that is even better.

Thirdly, and this may sound insane to a few people, get some red cabbage, chill it in the fridge, and then put some leaves inside your bra after you have bruised the leaves with a rolling pin. Cabbage is soothing and will help draw out any infection/blockage.

Finally, if you can stand it, eat 3 whole cloves of garlic (you can swig them down whole like pills with a glass of water or whatever, I usually cut mine in half or quarters and swallow them with water) three times a day. 3 cloves of garlic are as potent as an adult dosage of penicillin for killing bacteria and garlic also helps kill viral infections, if it is not bacterial. Just know that of course by the end of the day you will reak of garlic, but if you feel better, who cares?! You can safely do this for several days and I know a naturopath who recommends doing it for up to 2 weeks to get rid of and keep away infections. (for me that's an awful lot of garlic though!)

Hope you're feeling better soon mama!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
wass726
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if you have access to an acupuncturist or not but it saved me. I got a treatment and some herbs that cleared it right up. I have used the herbs two other times now along with the heat, massage, etc. and it really seems to help. I realize that is not exactly an easy fix and acupuncture is not for everyone but it really did help me.
wass726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the cabbage suggestion...and what about pumping? Would that make it worse?
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

i don't have a pump it never got anything out of me with ds1 so i never have even bothered to buy another one.

with the garlic thing...would that much garlic make ds not want to nurse???

Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go call WIC of your local hospital and find a pump... It will help you im sure!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw View Post
i don't have a pump it never got anything out of me with ds1 so i never have even bothered to buy another one.

with the garlic thing...would that much garlic make ds not want to nurse???
I'd try and get a pump if you can...might be worth it at this point. Also, a lot of women with their first baby don't get a lot of milk with a pump but with subsequent babies have more than enough milk for pumping.

Depends on the baby. Mine haven't had issues with my using garlic for fighting infections, etc., but then I am someone who eats spicy things regularly.

This type of question always intrigues me, because if you think about it, Mexican and Italian women don't report having issues with baby's being colicy or fussy as a result of their diets. I've always wondered about that... Anyhow, you can always try it and if after the first dose baby isn't liking your milk, just don't take anymore or take less. You never know, your baby may actually like it.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol thanks mamas!!! with the pump thing, i had TONS of milk (i actually had to sit ds1 upright straddling my leg or he'd choke) i just can't seem to relax enough with it :sigh:. i had the avent hand pump and some evenflo one....but you're right i should get a hold of wic and see if they'd be willing to give me one ( since we don't even qualify for wic), i'd just hate to pay $50+ for something i won't use other than this.

as for what kind of bra...i do have one underwire and have figured out that's what's doing this. this is my first clog and the other ones happened when i wore this bra. and i wore it the other day and guess what...next morning i had a clog and this time the sucker is defiant that bra is being THROWN AWAY!!!!! yes ITA they shouldn't even make underwire nursing bras...it's a stupid idea!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you HAVE TO pump it out often. But first fill the sink or a big bowl with really warm/hot water. lean over into it and leave your breast soak. then start to massage the sore spot a bit. You could also do this in the shower but actually submersing the breast is better. works pretty fast.

Take ibuprofren (sp?)1 time because it relaxes the muscles and cuts down the heat in the breast. (infection heat) nayway I know you shoudln't take meds but one time is no big deal. PLus if you get mastisis you will NEED meds.

Thsi is one thing I would not forgo meds on... and I hate meds! (midwife avoiding all docs here.)

also getting the baby's chin wherever the sore spot is will milk that spot out really well. sometimes it feels like a pipe cleaner in there and thats a gos ign its getting cleaned out well.

Rest rest rest too.

I've had these with my other kids, and mastitits 3 times. this time I could nip the sore spots in the bud...
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to hot pack every day, even when I didn't have clogs, simply to try to prevent them. Showering helped, too. Call your doctor or your local LLL. LLL could get you a pump, I'm sure!

I had horrible issues with mastitis - 6 bouts in the 9 months of nursing before I finally called it quits because I was sick of being sick...and I still ended up with a tumor in my right breast that had to be surgically removed (we didn't know until it was out whether it was cancerous or not and it ended up being a result of clogged ducts).
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote