Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: would you let your kindergartener ride the bus to school?

NO WAY I wouldnt even let my 2nd grader. Shoot I dont think i will ever though

Advertisement

mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #42
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope. No way... really. No.

DH drove a school bus last year and I can NOT believe the stuff he saw/heard/found on that bus. Also, in his experience, the monitor was almost always more interested in chatting than watching the kids.

He filled in on lots of different routes, and had similar experiences on each bus. Every day he came home saying dd would NEVER ride a school bus.
aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #43
mommyfrog
Registered Users

All of mine have rode the bus from the start, one of them being in preschool. The drivers have always had the kids sitting in grade order with the youngest at the front and the oldest in the back. None of them have been picked on. The only incident we've had is my 10 year old got in trouble for bullying a girl in his grade. He called her a hobo. Any name calling is considered bullying and if it's repeated, it's called harrassment.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 04-11-2009 at 11:19 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #44
alanapaige
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nope never..ever not even when they are much older. i hated riding the bus growing up so no matter how dumb it sounds ill never make my kids ride it. they will prolly be home schooled so i dont have to worry about that.
alanapaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #45
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, my ds will be starting K in the fall as well and I will be driving him to and from school. It is 16 miles each way so 64 miles daily. It is something I will not compromise on mostly because they bus all kids (preK- HS) together and I am not willing to expose him to some of the older kids that may ride the bus. Dsd used to ride the bus and when she came home talking about some of the happenings on her bus, we decided that she would not ride either and drove her to school. She was 14 btw.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #46
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

My four year old dd is already so excited to ride a school bus, every time she sees one she starts talking about how she'll get to ride one some day......I don't have the guts to tell her that she's going to be going to a charter school and will never ride a bus, she's going to be crushed If we were doing public school, my kids would be riding the bus.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #47
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #48
schmoopee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would, though I think we are to close to the school for her to be picked up, so she will likely walk or get dropped off. My mom or DH will have to walk her or drop her off as I will be long gone to my own school in the morning!
schmoopee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #49
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvela View Post
Mama, not trying to dog you, but, there have been several school bus roll-over accidents this year already. A few have caused fatalities.
The high back seats cause other injuries besides concussions, including facial fractures and injuries which need stitches to the lips and eyebrows.
Like I said, I'm not saying rollovers don't happen, but they are designed not to. The way the seats are designed insn't to prevent them from smashing into the seat and getting stiches, but the other option, flying through the winsheild and smacking the pavement, the seat is preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapermommy View Post
How is energy absorbent stuff or anything for that matter suppose to protect my child if he's being thrown around the bus during an accident because he wasn't anchored down with a seat belt or carseat.
Hopefully there is minimum throwing, the seats in the bus are really close together. If you sit in your seat like a normal person and don't hang out in the isle, you will have minimum travel time between where you are sitting and where your body meets the seat.

Plus the drives like a few PPs mentioned, are trained.

I would be come concerned about the 'unsupervised' time with the older children. I rode the bus in middle school and I will admit I got a few 'life lessons' on the bus