Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Doctor said ear infections are MY fault--UPDATE--went back tonight

so i took my daughter into the walk in care the other day cause she appeared to have another ear infection. (all the normal signs we get with her) this is her 6th one in the past year by the way so the doctor on call confirms that is her problem and then tells me that if i had gotten her vaxed on schedule we wouldn't have this problem. he said that the hib vax is supposed to keep them from getting ear infections and has been proven that children who've had the vax have less ear problems.

so now i'm confused cause i've never heard of this before and i don't want to believe it. it sounds like horse poop to me but i thought i'd ask around and see what all you knowledgable ladies have to say. can you point me to more info on this or is it hog wash. thanks in advance.

UPDATE!!!-- so we orignally went for this appt on tuesday morning and hanna has been on meds since then. well, she was still running a temp and just generally acting sick still and not like her normal self. so i called and had them see us again tonight. Her ears have cleared up, but the meds gave her a NASTY yeast rash --like burn your butt on a hot frying pan red from front to back and halfway down her thighs . AND.... she now has pnemonia my poor baby !!! i can only imagine how our follow up on next wednesday will be with our family doc. i'll probably get blamed for that as well since there is a vax for that one too

Advertisement

Last edited by chloecat; 04-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.
chloecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doctor said ear infections are MY fault

I have heard that before but don't know how helpful the vax really is. either way he's an ******* for saying such a thing to you. He should have said "the vaccine can decrease ear infections, so you might consider getting it after she recovers from this one" or something polite.

don't blame yourself, it's hard to juggle all the info and issues. Your just trying to protect your baby the best you can.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never heard that before, but that doesn't mean it's not true. Both my girls have received that vaccine and they have had 2 ear infection each this year. Last year dd2 had 5. I'm not sure I'd believe that.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HiB and Prevnar vaccines have both been shown to reduce ear infections. That said, plenty of vaxed kids get ear infections and get lots of them. Don't beat yourself up, mama. Most ear infections are caused because of just the basic anatomy of the child....something that you didn't have a role in. The eustachian tubes in a child/baby are very small and lay almost horizontally, which contributes to ear infections. As they get older, those tubes grow and become more vertical and then there's less risk of ear infections.
Now, there are some things that we can do to help prevent ear infections. First, make sure baby has no exposure to cigarette smoke. If you or someone in your family who is around the baby a lot smokes, then every possible thing that can be done needs to be done to keep baby away from it. Second, don't lay your baby down flat to feed. This allows milk or juice to pool in the eustachian tubes and gives a great place for bacteria to grow. Third, yes, vaccination helps, but believe me when I say that it don't help THAT much. Lastly, if your child has any symptoms of allergy, treat it. Allergy can cause lots of congestion as well as swelling of the already tiny eustachian tubes which will give bacteria a place to grow.
Sometimes, in spite of everything that we do as parents, the child still gets ear infections. This is the reason why some kids get PE tubes. Mine has them and they have been a miracle for us. If your child has not been evaluated by an ENT, you should get her an eval with a hearing test.
Good luck.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Tashena
Registered Users
Formerly: BebeBlu
seller

My Mood:

Don't beat yourself up, Meagan!
My nephew has all the suggested vax and ALWAYS has an ear infection. Has had tubes multiple times.
I've never heard that the vax can decrease the chances - but they always say something to try to appeal to us.
It's OK. Elijah has not had any vax and has had recurring ear infections, too. My Ped never mentioned that about the vax.
Tashena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we go back next wednesday for an eval and to talk about going to the ent and for a hearing test. she is still not speaking and is 20 mo old. i think the ear infections are delaying her speech.

but--to the other posters. thankyou for your support and advice. we don't smoke and are not around anyone who does. and dd doesnt' have any allergies that i'm aware of. perhaps i will mention that and see if we should have her tested. the only thing she drinks while laying flat is at night. i give her a sippy cup of water to keep in her crib if she gets thirsty at night. she rarely drinks anything out of it so i don't think that is it?? thank you for the info though-- i had never heard that about the vaccinations so i was a little leary of the info.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knits on Earth View Post
I have heard that before but don't know how helpful the vax really is. either way he's an ******* for saying such a thing to you. He should have said "the vaccine can decrease ear infections, so you might consider getting it after she recovers from this one" or something polite.

don't blame yourself, it's hard to juggle all the info and issues. Your just trying to protect your baby the best you can.
mama and that dr was a JERK! You are paying customer (honestly thats all patients have been reduced to) and deserve some respect. That dr needs to take some sensitivity classes.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I am going to hit your doc in his potato! Ear infections in LOs are caused by mouth bacteria traveling up the tubes that connect teh ear and mouth for drainage. These tubes are not fully developed so are a breeding ground and infection central. My 1st sone had TONS of ear infections and was fully vaxed on time. My son Rory who is 10 mons has never seen a vax and had one 2 weeks ago for the first time. I would tell your doc that his BS is far from the truth and his bedside manner towards concerned and educated parents is appaulling
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

My son has never been vaxed, is 14 months and hasn't had an ear infection. I think thats a load of bull. Vaccines can't even prevent the diseases they were designed to, but they are supposed to prevent ear infections too? Right.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter has not been vaxed and she has not had anymore ear infections than any normal child. She's had a few but I am also prone to them (I even got a bad one in my TEENS and thought I was going to go deaf from it).

ALSO, I have read an article that says that the Prevnar vaccine can cause little ones to have DRUG RESISTANT ear infections. Doctors can be full of poo sometimes!

Keep in mind, having a cold will do it because gunk gets backed up in the tubes. Some kids get more colds than others. That in and of itself depends on a lot of things. My daughter got two during her first year and then had a two year break, got one just before she turned three (well, I think it was an ear infection, she complained a little about sore ears) and one right after she turned three that was a double ear infection. So, maybe four in a three year period and no vaccinations here. She has been breastfed the whole time and has not been to day care though both of the periods she had ear infections, she was exposed to older children she was staying with at the time (when my daughter and I were staying with family).
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote