Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
ajdecker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ADHD inattention Help

My sons teacher has been really pushy to get my son in for an evaluation for ADHD. I new he had this pretty bad but as an adult with ADHD I figured he would find his nitch in life. ANyways his grades had suffered severly (he is in first grade) He also had tons of trouble in Kindergarten. He is not up to grade level yet and they need him there by the end of the year. We finally brought hime to his apt yesterday where they confirmed he has ADHD and want to put him on meds and do the school screening tests. WHAT DO I DO? We haven't talked much about meds, my little brother was on them and he was just a zombie. Now he had the hyperactivity form. Also they are asking us if we want to do the 4 hour meds or all day. I don't even know if I want to put him on meds. What are your experienced opionions? I don't want him to suffer through school the way I did. I ended up lucky with a husband who allows me to stay home and just come up with crazy hobbies every other day but as a man I don't see this happening. I struggled big time in Middle school, high school and college. As you can see my grammer and spelling are crud, I am extremely right brained and it actually hurts my head to write with a pencil. I cannot focus for more than 2-3 mins and I know my son is the same way. Would I take medicine now in life. If I had a job I guess I would have too. I do know that ADHD can affect adulthood with relationships and careers. Maybe he would outgrow it but looking at my family my dad, brother and myself still have it. Oh please give me options or thoughts on why you went with meds.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
*Eva*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ADHD inattention Help

I would try Omega 3-6-9's first before anything else. My son is severe ADHD and it makes him completely manageable. Van takes the Nordic Naturals Junior Omega 3-6-9, we buy it at Vitamin Shoppe and it works wonders on him. Takes about a week or two for it to kick in fully though so you does need to give it time. When he's not on it he can't sit still EVER, runs around screaming, if he needs to be still his leg will be bouncing up and down, tapping on things, etc etc. Its enough to drive you batty and no amount of exercise will make him calm down and neither does cutting out sugar or carbs either. When he's on it he's a completely different kid, he's while not calm by a long shot is able to comprehend the things you're telling him and have much more control over himself. I would give this a shot before trying ritalin or concerta, etc. My little brother was on both of those but they made him suicidal and he was only in first grade.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My son is on concerta for ADHD and we love it. He is not a zombie but thinks about his actions before he does them. He is still my dear sweet son with the samw personality as when he is off of meds only I can take him places and he is not as aggressive. This pill is taken once in the morning and it lasts all day. I like it this way because I am then the only person giving my son meds and if I don't want the teacher to know he is ADHD (I hate labeling a child) no one will know.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
ajdecker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Eva* View Post
I would try Omega 3-6-9's first before anything else. My son is severe ADHD and it makes him completely manageable. Van takes the Nordic Naturals Junior Omega 3-6-9, we buy it at Vitamin Shoppe and it works wonders on him. Takes about a week or two for it to kick in fully though so you does need to give it time. When he's not on it he can't sit still EVER, runs around screaming, if he needs to be still his leg will be bouncing up and down, tapping on things, etc etc. Its enough to drive you batty and no amount of exercise will make him calm down and neither does cutting out sugar or carbs either. When he's on it he's a completely different kid, he's while not calm by a long shot is able to comprehend the things you're telling him and have much more control over himself. I would give this a shot before trying ritalin or concerta, etc. My little brother was on both of those but they made him suicidal and he was only in first grade.
Thank You thank you, I will be trying this as soo as I get to teh vitamin shoppe
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hard decision.

I was the same way you were - probably had similar experiences. I also have seen kids who have truly benefited from meds and others who had significant side effects. My son may need meds as well but I am doing everything I can before the med option.

We are trying neurofeedback. I am currently receiving it for anxiety and ADHD and I feel so different. I have been on meds for 10 years but this neurofeedback is really helping. My son has improved on fish oil. I just started it and have improved on fish oil as well.

IF your brother was a zombie on meds, he was over-medicated.

PS - your spelling and grammar are just fine.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you tried changing his diet I know that has helped me with my two daughters who have it.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

What is the purpose of the teacher pushing for the dx? Is it so your child would get accommodations through a 504 plan, possible special ed services or for meds? Just curious.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
grace'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you mama! Just know that whatever decision you make, you can change your mind at any time. If you decide to try meds, you can always stop them without long-term effects. If you decide to wait, you can always try meds later.

Russell Barkley, the biggest researcher of ADHD out there, would say that medication is the #1 treatment for ADHD. There are studies out there that suggest reducing sugar/red dyes/etc. are not helpful for ADHD and any good you see is placebo effect. I can understand this from a medical model. At his young age, the brain is shifting where attention is mainly controlled--from reticular activating system to dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. If you think of ADHD as a chemical imbalance causing neurons to be oversensitive to rapid firing, etc., then medication makes perfect sense. Sugar/red dyes/diet, etc. aren't really working on the brain. That being said, give any kid a ton of sugar and you'll see a really active kid so I can see why people want to go that route!

This is all if you approach it from a medical model. You can look at behavioral problems different ways and I get that. Behaviorists would tell you that strict behavioral programming and intensive structure can do the same thing as meds. Others go with a more natural approach but I'm not as familiar with those so I couldn't say how they work. Like anything in life, I'd try different things until you find what works for you. Again, I wouldn't stress too much because you can undo any decision you make. I understand the pressure you may be feeling because the school wants him to reach certain benchmarks by the end of the year. I also understand that we all have situations in our past that affect how we view current situations. Theories and medications have changed quite a bit though since we were kids. 4 hr vs all day meds? It depends on the kid and the demands being placed on the child (ex: kindergarteners may only go a half day and if you wanted to be minimalist with meds you could just do a 4 hour for that and see how it goes). As a parent, I would say you should try something. I think the only mistake you could make is to do nothing if both you and the school thinks there is an issue. Good luck!
grace'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
ajdecker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for taking your time to read and respond to my post.
The major concern for the school is my son is below grade level, plays by himself, does not do well in groups, withdrawn (he is innatentive) and could day dream all day. He is not hyper in any way, he could easily sit in a chair for long periods of time but he is in his own world and cannot even do a 1 or 2 part task.

OK next why did you choose which med your on and did you try them both. Plus what is in your opionion better 4 hr or all day?