Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

What to do with mushrooms?

I have shiitake, button, and portobello mushrooms in my fridge. Does anyone have a good recipe for using them? Great if it's all in one recipe, but definately not a requirement. Thanks!

Advertisement

Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do with mushrooms?

This is the recipe I use and I also use whatever mushrooms I have on hand.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

However, you can put this over anything mashed potatoes, rice, etc, it doesn't have to be orzo.

I have also left out the shallots (because I didn't have any on hand) and used milk instead of cream and it came out just fine. I love this meal. I'm actually making it tonight!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

That sounds awesome! I was actually trying to think of ways to use up my bottle of balsamic vinegar, too, so this works out great. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aren't portabellos the ones restaurants serve in burgers *instead of* the beef? And with smaller ones I'd do an Asian stirfry!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
Aren't portabellos the ones restaurants serve in burgers *instead of* the beef?
Yes, portobello's are the giant ones. Unfortunately, my husband and my kids wouldn't even go near it if I made burgers out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
This is the recipe I use and I also use whatever mushrooms I have on hand.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

However, you can put this over anything mashed potatoes, rice, etc, it doesn't have to be orzo.

I have also left out the shallots (because I didn't have any on hand) and used milk instead of cream and it came out just fine. I love this meal. I'm actually making it tonight!
I was reading through some of the ratings on the website. A lot of people say they change theirs up a bit by adding different seasonings as they thought it was bland. Did you find you had to change anything to make it taste better?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would make fried rice with them. I chopped mine up so small ds didnt even know he was eating them hahaha
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like to sautee mine in a little bit of butter or olive oil, with some onions, and peppers and then toss into spaghetti sauce.

Sautee in white wine, with onions and peppers (red, orange, yellow and green), add some seasonings, and toss with angel hair pasta. You can even lightly bread and bake/fry some chicken tenders, for a nice Chicken scampi and serve the chicken on top of the pasta then pour the sauce and veggies over.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
arayasunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like mushrooms on pizza, in soup, or on my burgers (in addition to the beef patty!)
Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyheybaby83 View Post
Yes, portobello's are the giant ones. Unfortunately, my husband and my kids wouldn't even go near it if I made burgers out of them.

I was reading through some of the ratings on the website. A lot of people say they change theirs up a bit by adding different seasonings as they thought it was bland. Did you find you had to change anything to make it taste better?
I think because I don't always have everything on hand and I constantly change it up that its never tasted bland to me. I'm also one to just throw things in and not measure it so I'm quite sure I add more seasoning than the recipe calls for. I'm not sure if that helps. If you make it, just keep tasting it along the way and if you think it needs something, add it. It's a very forgiving recipe. I also tend to let it all simmer together at the end because I'm usually finishing up a side dish, chasing my toddler or feeding my baby.