Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #11
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Re: Does anyone do cry it out?

We did CIO with DD#1 & "whine it out" with D#2 . Once DD#1 started putting herself to sleep she slept 13 hours a night no problem. DD#2 I say "whine it out" because she doesn't really cry about it for more than maybe two minutes. And when she realizes she's not allowed in our bed she gives up and lays back down on her bed. (for clarification, our bed is TOO small it fits me and DH with about 6 inches to spare, we are currently sleeping the same room and when it warms up our bedroom is about 15 feet away from their beds.....)

I think the problems come in when you let them cry and cry and cry with no comfort from you at all. If you give them the confidence to know that if there really is a problem you will be there then that is what matters. Being a good parent does not require that you sacrifice your health and sanity to take care of your child. Because really that makes you a bad parent when you aren't able to take care of them because you are so worn out. Do what is best for your family.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #12
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did it with both our kids. #2 was really easy....she doesn't really cry much....more like whining/fussing it out. #1 was really a total pain, but it worked and it saved my sanity.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMommy2006 View Post
I'm just wondering if I am the only mother who lets their baby cry it out when they know that the baby is fed, dry and overall is just tired and needs to go to sleep.
Please hold the fireballs...

Thanks!

Yup, I do! I think it is important for children to learn to comfort and pacify themselves. Both of my kids have done well with it!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
tash
Registered Users

only in the car. theres really not much I can do there, she only wanted out so stopping to comfort/feed/change her didnt really help much so I just had to let her cry

at night she nurses to sleep and now (at 10 months) she will nurse then unlatch and roll away about 75% of the time (that is sooo nice). she still takes all of her naps on me. either on my lap while I am online or in a carrier (my MT on my back usueally) while I do other stuff. occasinally (like once a month) she will take a whole nap in her carseat. the other day I was out in the parking lot for an hour after we got home waiting for her to wake up. of course as soon as she did she screamed until I got her unbuckled.

imo babies are just like adults, they need more then potty/diaper, food, etc. comfort is a big thing. I am 25 and I can only go to sleep if I am exasted, drunk, or curled up next to someone. and I slept in a crib and was cio-ed as a baby.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't.
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

We DID! I started when DD was like 10 months old (she is 18 mo old now) I'd put her in her crib, wait 7 min, go in, sooth her w/out picking her up, for 5 min, leave and then I'd do 8 min, wth 6 min soothing her (it NEVER took 6 min soothing her), but that was my "plan".
It took about a week of doing that, and now 8 months later she is an awesome sleeping.
I say "Do you want to go to bed" at bed time and she runs to her crib, gives kisses, and lays down w/out a fight.
And, I can assure you she still loves me, and she isnt traumatized for life because of it. Its not like I threw her in crib with dirty clothes on, poopy diapers, and hungry. All her needs were/are met before bed time. I make sure she is actually TIRED and she goes to bed.
I have a very healthy, active, energetic, happy toddler who likes to go to sleep in her OWN bed. We're all happy (and I assure you brain damage free :wink!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #17
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess we did w/ dd #1, but not really bc that was what we set out to do, she was just a very difficult baby and didn't go to sleep without crying for at least 10 min. until she was 14mos no matter what we did. We did everything we could think of--had a bedtime and naptime routine, nursed to sleep, rocked, swaddled, comfort object, etc. Finally, we just told her it was time for bed, let her cry for a few mins. went back 5 min. later to comfort, left, if she was still crying went back 5 min. after that. After a couple of days it was just the 10 min. cry at bedtime, and at 14 mos. it suddenly stopped. Everyone has to do what is best for them, and often it really depends on the baby.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't let Jack Milo CIO. BUT, he's had all sorts of issues. So normally he doesn't feel good. Reflux, ear infections, he was born with some issues with his feet, so had casts and sleeps in a brace, etc. So for us, the situation was different.

What I've done is this (ONLY when I know he feels okay and is not sick/hurting)....

Jackson CAN sleep when he feels good. Waking only once to eat. But I've ran in at every little wimper, so he expects it now. So I lay him down (after rocking, a bottle, and lullabies) and walk out. I give him 10 minutes to fuss, if he's still fussing, I go get him. Calm him down by doing whatever he needs. Holding, rocking, whatever. Then lay him down again and give him 10 minutes again. I do this any time he wakes up. He goes down without crying, doesn't wake up except once to eat, etc. No problems.

NOW, we have a wind down time before bed. We dim the lights, and watch a Praise Baby DVD together. I sang the songs to him when I was pregnant, so it's comforting to him. We only listen to a few, maybe 10 minutes worth instead of the whole 30 min. DVD. Then we go to bed, I turn on his lullabies (they play for about an hour) and turn the fan on to the second speed for white noise, rock him, give him his bottle, then lay him down sleepy but awake.

I think a routine is the KEY to them understanding bedtime. You can't expect them to go from awake and playing to sleeping in 15 minutes, kwim? Not saying you are, just speaking in general.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #19
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wanted to add, CIO to me is putting your child in bed and letting them scream and get hysterical for hours on end without going in to comfort them. A few minutes of crying/fussing will NOT hurt them. I know with my son, for a few months he HAD to cry before bed. Even if I was holding him, it was like he had this pent up grumpyness that had to get out before bed. I would try and try and rock and feed, etc. but until I let him cry for 5 minutes he would NOT sleep. I'd put him in his pack-n-play, let him cry for 4 or 5 minutes, go get him and rock him and he'd go right to sleep. Made me so sad, but that was just him. Something he needed. I didn't understand it, but *shrug*
Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Wanted to add, CIO to me is putting your child in bed and letting them scream and get hysterical for hours on end without going in to comfort them. A few minutes of crying/fussing will NOT hurt them. I know with my son, for a few months he HAD to cry before bed. Even if I was holding him, it was like he had this pent up grumpyness that had to get out before bed. I would try and try and rock and feed, etc. but until I let him cry for 5 minutes he would NOT sleep. I'd put him in his pack-n-play, let him cry for 4 or 5 minutes, go get him and rock him and he'd go right to sleep. Made me so sad, but that was just him. Something he needed. I didn't understand it, but *shrug*

Oh my take on CIO was putting my son down and letting him cry it out for like 15 sometimes on the rare occasion 30 mins but if it went much past that Id go get him and comfort him and play with himn for a liitle and try to pu thim bak down again until he finally feel asleep.....I guess I didnt think CIO meant crying for hours and hours and never seeing if they were okay?? Cuz if thats CIO I didnt do that...