Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #21
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone do cry it out?

I never have and never will. I PERSONALLY think it is very sad for the children to have to CIO .... our babies are really the only mammals who cant do anything for themselves (ie: walk, care for, etc) so I take that as a sign that babies shouldnt be left to cry themselves to sleep - IMO!

My DS was a horrible sleeper (up every 20mins until he was 18months old) nursed ALL DAY, wanted to be carried 24/7. Now he is very independent and sleeps great ... I couldnt imagine letting him cry .... I never did and his lungs are GREAT (as many say they need to cry to have strong lungs)

My DD is a better sleeper though not great and is carried (though this tim I use a sling) 24/7!

Advertisement

Last edited by Calideedle; 12-10-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #22
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
Oh my take on CIO was putting my son down and letting him cry it out for like 15 sometimes on the rare occasion 30 mins but if it went much past that Id go get him and comfort him and play with himn for a liitle and try to pu thim bak down again until he finally feel asleep.....I guess I didnt think CIO meant crying for hours and hours and never seeing if they were okay?? Cuz if thats CIO I didnt do that...
I don't think of CIO as hours of just them crying and crying without you going in. OMG I could NEVER do that.

Has dinner, gets changed, she gets her book, we hold her and rock her in our arms with the water running in the bathroom (it's weird but she likes it) then she normall starts to fuss in our arms and point to her room to go down.

She might wine a little still or possibly give a couple little crys but I just think it's something she has to do before going to sleep like a PP said. It only lasts for maybe 2 mins at most then she passes out and sleeps for 14-16 hours straight.

Now she mostly talks herself to sleep. My DH says she's practicing her vocabulary. LOL. She will repeat any words that she has learned that day over and over and she chats it up with her teddy, cute, then falls asleep.

We have a video monitor so it's on and we can see what she is up to.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post

My DS was a horrible sleeper (up every 20mins until he was 18months old) nursed ALL DAY, wanted to be carried 24/7. Now he is very independent and sleeps great ... I couldnt imagine letting him cry .... I never did and his lungs are GREAT (as many say they need to cry to have strong lungs)

My DD is a better sleeper though not great and is carried (though this tim I use a sling) 24/7!
Good to know it gets better!! My ds is 17 months and he is getting better but still pretty high needs . As hard as it has been to have him attached to me all the time I wouldn't do it any other way, personally. I feel like it is my job to comfort him and give him what he needs until he is old enough to comfort himself, put himself to sleep, etc. So I am assuming you nursed him to sleep, I was just curious as to what age he started putting himself to sleep or does he still nurse to sleep??

Also good to know #2 isn't as high needs....we are TTC #2 and sometimes I scare myself thinking what if the next is as high needs as ds is, but he has had food allergy and reflux issues so poor guy has not had it easy.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

We did modified CIO with my DD, starting when she was about 7 months old for the same reason. She'd have to be rocked to sleep, only to wake as soon as we laid her down. It was taking me literally hours to get her to bed at night. So, we'd let her cry or 5-7 minutes tops. Then we'd go in and soothe her, then lay her down. It took about 3 days of this and then she was the best sleeper ever.

I'm starting to think we're going to have to try this with Noah. He will not nap in the afternoon lately even though he is tired and crabby. He will fall asleep on me, but when I lay hom down, he screams. I have 2 other kids and I can't leave them by themselves, so I am thinking this is going to have to start soon. I HATE to hear him cry, especially when he cries hard, but something has to change.

IMO though, anything longer than 10 minutes is too long.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #25
BeBe123
Registered Users

No. We cosleep. Im really disturbed by this topic...and i'm really suprised that so many mamas on here actually CIO.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #26
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think there needs to be some clarifying of CIO....I think most of the Momma's here use the term CIO and mean they let their kids fuss and maybe cry for a short period of time....NOT letting them cry for hrs without any comforting! I doubt anyone here does that!
What I mean when I say CIO...is I don't go rushing into my DS's room and try to soothe them if they start to whine or cry. Within 5 min of the start of fussing...they are usually asleep!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #27
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBe123 View Post
No. We cosleep. Im really disturbed by this topic...and i'm really suprised that so many mamas on here actually CIO.
ME TOO!!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Good to know it gets better!! My ds is 17 months and he is getting better but still pretty high needs . As hard as it has been to have him attached to me all the time I wouldn't do it any other way, personally. I feel like it is my job to comfort him and give him what he needs until he is old enough to comfort himself, put himself to sleep, etc. So I am assuming you nursed him to sleep, I was just curious as to what age he started putting himself to sleep or does he still nurse to sleep??

Also good to know #2 isn't as high needs....we are TTC #2 and sometimes I scare myself thinking what if the next is as high needs as ds is, but he has had food allergy and reflux issues so poor guy has not had it easy.
Yes I nursed him to sleep from day one until the NIGHT BEFORE DD was born! That night he fell asleep and slept all night (the very first time!) HE still nurses before he goes to bed (we co-sleep so it isnt hard) but since he was 18months old he hasnt nursed to fall asleep. Though sometimes he does when he takes a nap (once a weeks maybe only if he is so tired!)

I also wouldnt do it any other way (having him SO attached) because I feel that is why he is such an amazing and sweet boy! He is definatly a 2 year-old boy but tells EVERYONE everywhere he goes that he loves them, asks them if they want a hug or a kiss and if someone is crying or sad he offers then to nurse .... LOL ... "Kolin Nana!"

I was SO SCARED #2 was going to be as high needs as DS but she has been great! She used to only wake up once a night to nurse but once she started realizing she could nurse anytime during the night that she woke up she started waking up 3-4times a night. I DEFINATLY dont mind though because one day her and her brother probably wont want to sleep with us or give us kisses (teenage years)

I cant imagine letting either one CIO and it males me feel so much better that in SO MANY other cultures children dont CIO and are never put down or left in a crib by themselves and in those cultures the children are very well behaved and loving! (Three in a Bed & Our Babies Ourselves have some great facts about that!) Plus I cant stand it if my kids start to cry and they have never cried for more than the amount of time it took me to RUN to them and help them stop.

Last edited by Calideedle; 12-10-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #29
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

oh my goodness everyone here seems to take everything to such a level of superiority...there is nothing to be disturb by if I let my child CIO for 10-20 mins.

I have a feeling that the mamas who dont CIO dont have babies who never stop crying. Sure its easy to not let you rbaby CIO if they go to sleep so easily and stay that way....it must be nice but for us other mothers who babies dont sleep easily and cry for no apparent reason....to save our sanity the baby has to cry /fuss for a little bit......the baby will be just fine and in actuality I have had several doctors say taht babys crying is good for them because it helps them develop their lungs.

As a child/baby I was CIO'd and Im just fine without any attachemtn issues....just because you dont let your babies CIO doesnt mean you are doing it better, you just have a different type of child and you can handle them differntly.

I hate it when mamas on here try to make every other mama feel bad if they don't "raise" their child liek them...such as co-sleeping , CIOing, Breastfeeding......everyone has to make a choice that works for their life and children and you dont know until you walk in their shoes.....

whats better anyways?? A mom who is absoulutely against CIOing and in turn loses her sanity and snaps and hurts the baby?? Im pretty sure that crying in the crib for 15 mins is better since its safe and secured and mama can get a break from the crying...she does no good to the baby if she is at her wits end and cannot console the baby.

Last edited by mistylaureena; 12-10-2006 at 05:10 PM.
mistylaureena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #30
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
I have a feeling that the mamas who dont CIO dont have babies who never stop crying. Sure its easy to not let you rbaby CIO if they go to sleep so easily and stay that way....it must be nice but for us other mothers who babies dont sleep easily and cry for no apparent reason....to save our sanity the baby has to cry /fuss for a little bit......the baby will be just fine and in actuality I have had several doctors say taht babys crying is good for them because it helps them develop their lungs.

whats better anyways?? A mom who is absoulutely against CIOing and in turn loses her snaity and snaps and hurts the baby?? Im pretty sure that crying in the crib for 15 mins is better since its safe and secured and mama can get a break from the crying...she does no good to the baby if she is at her wits end and cannot console the baby.
My #1 was a VERY high needs baby and in the beggining ALWAYS cried if I put him down to play or tried to lay him by himself so yes I had a child who cried alot. I found that holding him & nursing him when he cried made him not cry. Therefor I never let him CIO and he never has had too .... and he has a GREAT set of lungs!!

I also do not belive in CIO and not once have EVER had the feeling of harming my children or been at my wits end!! I get lots of little breaks once my DH comes home from work yet I dont have to leave my child in a crib crying just to be sure I dont "snap" I am a VERY safe and secure Mother!

IMO!