Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #31
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone do cry it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
My #1 was a VERY high needs baby and in the beggining ALWAYS cried if I put him down to play or tried to lay him by himself so yes I had a child who cried alot. I found that holding him & nursing him when he cried made him not cry. Therefor I never let him CIO and he never has had too .... and he has a GREAT set of lungs!!

I also do not belive in CIO and not once have EVER had the feeling of harming my children or been at my wits end!! I get lots of little breaks once my DH comes home from work yet I dont have to leave my child in a crib crying just to be sure I dont "snap" I am a VERY safe and secure Mother!

IMO!
If you read what i wrote it means the child cries profusley no matter if you are holding them and if you are nursring them...my son did do that....it didnt matter one bit if I held him or not he'd just cry and cry......so yes I did let him CIO because he was going cry in my arms or in his crib...but you make it out to be as if mams are letting them lay in their crib for hours and cry almost like neglected babies....which is not the case
And ok you might have not thought about hurting your baby but do you think all the baby's that have been hurt were ones that we so quiet calm and cute?? Nope they all have something in common..they cried and cried and whatever caretaker that was watching them lost theri sanity...if they could have just put tthat baby in their crib and CIO while they found a quiet spot to collect their thoughts, the outcoem may have been much different.......just becasue those emotions dont HAPPEN to YOU doesnt mean they dont happen to other moms and even good moms!

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #32
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tried it once because I thought I was supposed to... never did it again.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #33
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
oh my goodness everyone here seems to take everything to such a level of superiority...there is nothing to be disturb by if I let my child CIO for 10-20 mins.
Amen to that girl!

I'd say more, but I think its best if I just shut up and walk away
Old 12-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #34
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
If you read what i wrote it means the child cries profusley no matter if you are holding them and if you are nursring them...my son did do that....it didnt matter one bit if I held him or not he'd just cry and cry......so yes I did let him CIO because he was going cry in my arms or in his crib...but you make it out to be as if mams are letting them lay in their crib for hours and cry almost like neglected babies....which is not the case
And ok you might have not thought about hurting your baby but do you think all the baby's that have been hurt were ones that we so quiet calm and cute?? Nope they all have something in common..they cried and cried and whatever caretaker that was watching them lost theri sanity...if they could have just put tthat baby in their crib and CIO while they found a quiet spot to collect their thoughts, the outcoem may have been much different.......just becasue those emotions dont HAPPEN to YOU doesnt mean they dont happen to other moms and even good moms!
You said:

"whats better anyways?? A mom who is absoulutely against CIOing and in turn loses her snaity and snaps and hurts the baby?? Im pretty sure that crying in the crib for 15 mins is better since its safe and secured and mama can get a break from the crying...she does no good to the baby if she is at her wits end and cannot console the baby."

I absoulutly dont believe in CIO and have not felt anything like you said. How you wrote it makes it sound like all non-CIO Moms will do that! So maybe in rare cases YES some Mothers may but if you do in fact hurt or kill your child there is something very wrong with you besides a child who is crying!

As I wrote I was talking about myself! Not once did I say because I never felt that way NOBODY is allowed to! I just dont believe in CIO, period!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #35
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
You said:

"whats better anyways?? A mom who is absoulutely against CIOing and in turn loses her snaity and snaps and hurts the baby?? Im pretty sure that crying in the crib for 15 mins is better since its safe and secured and mama can get a break from the crying...she does no good to the baby if she is at her wits end and cannot console the baby."

I absoulutly dont believe in CIO and have not felt anything like you said. How you wrote it makes it sound like all non-CIO Moms will do that! So maybe in rare cases YES some Mothers may but if you do in fact hurt or kill your child there is something very wrong with you besides a child who is crying!

As I wrote I was talking about myself! Not once did I say because I never felt that way NOBODY is allowed to! I just dont believe in CIO, period!
at the top of my post not just the bottom half that you quoted...but I wasnt even referring to any of your posts anyways...I was mostly just offended that other posters said that "Im really disturbed by this topic...and i'm really suprised that so many mamas on here actually CIO" as if to IMPLY that CIO is wrong and "disturbing" as if this board is for only certian moms and they were surprised to "find" out so many mamas CIO as if it were wrong or bad....to which you agreed to that comment with a "ME TOO!!"

All Im saying is that no other mama can judge another mama and how her body handles PPD and a extensively screaming baby and their choice to CIO. There is nothing disturbing about it at all...I actually find it very responsible that a mama would make that choice to give her sanity a break, instead of pushing herself past the point. I just feel like to many other mamas on this board are always quick to judge when they havent walked in those shoes! ANd No i odnt think that every mom who doesnt CIO hurts their babies and I apologize if that is how you received it, but others seem to imply that moms who do CIO arent very good moms...

Last edited by mistylaureena; 12-10-2006 at 05:48 PM.
mistylaureena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #36
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

I don't do this with my DD, but my DH does...especially if she's overtired and cranky...he will put her in her crib (when im not home though!) and let her cry it out.
Me, I won't let her cry it out...im always there to cuddle...
With DD#1 on the other hand, we HAVE to let her cry it out, she won't go to sleep otherwise... (yup, shes four but bedtime is a huge HUGE thing for her..)

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #37
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama View Post
Amen to that girl!

I'd say more, but I think its best if I just shut up and walk away
Hee hee, same here.

Every child and parent are different. Who cares if I have a different parenting style than another mom on here.

I did what worked for my DD and me at the time. Maybe my next child will have completly different needs.

Go forth and do what you gotta do, CIO, AP whatever. Just don't give moms a hard time for making a different choice than you.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #38
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why do Mama's and women in general feel the need to judge each other and put each other down? I think it's so interesting and seems to start really young with girls being so catty.

I think we get enough of it from everyone around us and society I don't think we need to perpetuate it amongst ourselves.

We need to support each other and realize that everyone is just trying to be the best Mama they can and everyone has to do what is best for them and their family whatever that is.

No two people parent EXACTALLY alike it's impossible. There are tons of variations even within the currently popular methods of parenting.

So can't we just support each other and listen and sometimes, yes, agree to disagree but do it in a non judgemental manner.

I'm so tired of the "there's only one right way to do things and it's MY WAY" attitude.

It doesn't help anyone.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #39
RockstarMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBe123 View Post
No. We cosleep. Im really disturbed by this topic...and i'm really suprised that so many mamas on here actually CIO.
Ditto. It's shocking how many people continue to defend this method, yet none of them are ever able to provide a study proving that it's harmless...
Here are some interesting links:

Harvard study

Australia's mental health association warning against CIO!

UK Article

Last edited by RockstarMom; 12-10-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: broken link
RockstarMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #40
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add: That whole thing about crying to strengthen their lungs is an old wives tale. I'm really suprised that a doctor told you that.

Not bashing anyone for using CIO, I'm just saying - lungs don't develop from crying. Don't believe everything a doctor tells you.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote