Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
To the mamas who buy little or no pre-packaged foods.

How do you do it?

I've been wanting to cut back on processed foods, but am not really sure where to start.

To those of you who grind your own flour... what kind of machine do I need to buy? is it expensive? And if I wanted to buy organic wheat for flour, is it cheaper than buying the organic flour? And where do you buy wheat that is still whole?

Since you don't buy pre-packaged cereal, what do you do for breakfasts? Are hot cereals like Malto-Meal and Oatmeal considered "processed" or "Pre-packaged?"

Do you get up at like 4:30am to do food prep for the day?

Also, I'd love recipes for bread, crackers, croutons, fig-newtons, granola bars, and other healthy but tastey snacks. My DH LOVES ice cream and gets a killer sweet tooth every night. Are there sweet treats I can make him that are healthier than cookies and ice cream, but will satisfy his sweet tooth?

DH and I are both overweight, and I don't want our kids to have to deal with it like we do..so if I can teach them to eat healthy, and provide healthful snacks and foods, I'd love to. Also, my youngest is a stocky build, so I know how important it is to really keep an eye on him too!!!

Thanks mamas!

God bless,
Michelle

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: To the mamas who buy little or no pre-packaged foods.

bump 'cause i forgot to supscribe!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I'm just starting this journey myself. But to start I started making homemade mac n cheese and not buying the boxed stuff. I buy organic chicken stock and brown rice and make my own rice that way.

I make up my own pancakes. I do still buy some organic all natural cereals though. We do oatmeal with maple syrup.

If I do buy some "boxed" stuff I make sure it is the all natural and organic stuff.

I buy typically fresh veggies to steam [organic] or frozen organic if they don't have the fresh in stock.

I buy organic potatoes and make our own mashed potatoes, french fries, roasted potatoes, etc.

I either buy organic spaghetti sauce or make my own too

Don't know if any of this helps!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I follow a lot of the weston price stuff...all raw milk, but I have back slidden and still buy cereal and some boxed stuff.

When I went fully WP, I soaked oat meal over night in water and a bit of yougurt for breakfast. Or we'd have Ezekiel bread (sprouted) with butter.

I'd love to hear more tips though!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since going vegetarian we eat a lot less pre-packaged food. Often it's because there isn't a lot of vegan/vegetarian processed foods and I have taken a lot closer look at the quality of what we are putting in our bodies. ie. what nutrients are we getting in the calories we're putting in. We have to make sure that the kids are getting enough protein, iron, calcium so every little bit counts.

Here are some things we have now started doing:

1) making bread at home (I got a bread maker for Christmas)
2) home-made baked goods (muffins, cookies, etc)
3) home made soups
4) no boxed mac n' cheese
5) home made pizzas
6) breakfasts- yogurt, pancakes, toast, oatmeal

I have found that vegan and vegetarian cookbooks have some really great "from scratch" recipes and nutritious sweets.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to suggest Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon (which is in line with Weston A. Price). That said, I burned myself out within 1 month of doing it. I agree that it's healthier, but I hate cooking, and making EVERYTHING from scratch (including 24 hour chicken broth!) ended up being exhausting for me. I compromise now. If I have the time and inclination, I go so far as to even make our own bread (and when we have mac and cheese, it's always homemade). When I'm feeling lazy, I use the stuff I sell: Wildtree, because it's all-natural. Spaghetti sauce from a can of crushed tomatoes simmered with the Hearty Spaghetti Sauce Blend, for example, is a quick compromise so that it is homemade-ish, but without spending as much time, effort, or money.

We're not perfect, but I'm working on making more of our foods. We need to really cut costs and that seems like the best way, plus it's healthier.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:

I use some of the hillbillyhousewife recipes (bisquick mix, onion soup mix, rice a roni recipe, etc.) I've also started baking. I bought a bread machine at goodwill for $10.00 (I'm actually thinking of going back and getting another one.) I'll make up a bunch of pizza dough one day (1 batch makes 2 pizza crusts.) on another day DS1 and I will make a bunch of cookie dough and freeze it. (I take a cookie scooper and freeze the dough in individual servings on a cookie sheet, once frozen it goes in a ziplock bag. another day we'll make a bunch of different muffins I'll keep some out and freeze the others. On sundays I make either pancakes or waffles for breakfast, I'll triple the recipe and freeze any uneaten pancakes/waffles for breakfast through out the week. I've also started making DH preakfast wraps (wrap bread, eggs, any veggies he wants, cheese, and turkey bacon) DH thinks it real bacon but since he isn't home when I make them he has no idea., I wrap them individually in plastic wrap, DS microwaves it for 1-1 1/2 mins and its a hot breakfast to eat while driving to work. I also just started making an everthing left over soup (I saw it on Jon and Kate plus 8) anytime I have leftover veggies from dinner I put them in a container in the freezer, when we have roast, I do the samething, when its full (usuall 1 -1 1/2 mos) I make a huge soup out of it. When I make homemade mac n cheese I'll take any left overs and put them in individual dishes or baggies and freeze those, its a great quick lunch for DS and myself. Also, purchase some flax seed meal, I add it to everthing. It good for your heart and cholesterol (sp?) HTH's.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasures Of Mine View Post

I follow a lot of the weston price stuff...all raw milk, but I have back slidden and still buy cereal and some boxed stuff.

When I went fully WP, I soaked oat meal over night in water and a bit of yougurt for breakfast. Or we'd have Ezekiel bread (sprouted) with butter.

I'd love to hear more tips though!
What is ezekial bread?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

I envy mamas like this. I just hate cooking. I am trying to develop a love for it. I am shopping this week to buy stuff to make my owns soups and breads. I don't eat too much processed foods but for cereals and crackers and yogurt and occasional chicken fingers. But I am starting a new diet of wheat free, dairy free and no refinded sugars so I have to strt eating properly

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I reallly enjoy cooking. But when DH and I were both working, it just got easier to eat out... then the kids came along, and it boxed dinners were just easier than cooking but cheaper than eating out..... so we've REALLY gotten off track.

Mams, thanks so much for all the great ideas, please keep 'em comming!

God bless and Happy Easter!

Michelle