Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: To the mamas who buy little or no pre-packaged foods.

Hey mamma, lets see where to start? I grew up using a whisper mill but when I got married my mum bought me a Nutrimill and they both work great. I don't know off the top of my head how much they cost but I'm gonna say you could probly get a good used one for 100$. I get my wheat from a lady who owns a small bulk store. You'll just have to do some research to find some in your area but make sure you get winter white wheat, it makes the best bread

I've also recently started following some of the Weston A. Price and do a lot of it but be careful as it's very extreme and like PP you will most likely burn yourself and your family out! My suggestion is just take it one step at a time do what you can and try not to feel guilty about the rest

Oatmeal is a great option for breakfast and is very healthy as long as it's not quick outs... make sure you get old fashioned and if you can buy it organic all the better. We eat a variation of it almost every morning from baked oatmeal to homemade granola. I have some great recipes I'll try and post later for you as just plan oatmeal can get kind of old If you are eating it plain putting things like mashed banana, peanut butter, nuts, raisins and or cinnamon can make a big difference.

Ezekial Bread is made from sprouted grains and is very healthy but not very tasty IMO

I'll sub and add as I think of things just have a lot on my mind but I hope that helps anyway

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh just remembered one more thing... I've replaced a lot of beef with ground turkey, I know it sounds crazy and weird but honestly everyone who trys my recipe for turkey sausage or turkey taco meat loves it!! Not only is it a lot less fat it's super cheap!! I'll put those recipes up too if you're interested?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, recipes please!

And what is this Weston A Price method I keep seeing mentioned?

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Gavinsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stay away from all frozen foods, except frozen veggies. I also make things like my own gravy, which is quite easy! I have great recipes for the crockpot too!
Gavinsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have only tried doing this since the beginning of the year, and I've gone slowly.

For breakfast, DH used to eat frozen boxed sausage biscuits. Now I make him breakfast burritos that are cheaper and healthier. One pound of turkey sausage, a dozen eggs scrambled with milk (and you can take some of the yolks out to reduce calories and cholesterol), and 3-4 cups of your veggie/potato of choice will make about 14 half-cups of filling for burritos. The girls and I alternate eating fortified oatmeal (with nut butter, dried fruit, milk and honey), scrambled eggs, pancakes (hillybilly housewife recipe), and french toast daily.

We eat homemade pizza once a week. We make the dough in a handmedown breadmaker, but I've seen them at goodwill for an average of $10. I am not at the point of making our own sandwich bread, but I make rolls, french bread, and dessert breads with it a lot.

I make and freeze a lot of rice or potato-based casseroles. I also make and freeze meatloaves, fish or crab cakes, and egg rolls or dumplings. The trick is when you have time to make them, you make at least three so you have at least two to freeze for later.

I do a lot of crockpot stuff, roasts and the like. I'll even bake potatoes or sweet potatoes in there.

For reducing sweets, you have to switch them out for healthier versions. Instead of ice cream, frozen yogurt/popsicles (which are easy to make yourself). Instead of cake, you make banana bread or pumpkin bread. You get the idea.

You have to take it slowly, because new habits take time to form. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried to jump in with both feet and got burned out pretty quickly. I suggest picking one thing every couple of weeks and going from there. I started with bread - it was something I had always wanted to learn how to make. So I started by experimenting until I found the perfect loaf of white, whole wheat, dinner rolls, etc. It took a little while, but now I bake every couple of days and also freeze my doughs to make my life a little simpler when we get busy.

Then I started making soups, and experimenting with those. Now I make a big batch of soup in the beginning of the week and then reheat for lunches during the week. I roast a chicken every 2 weeks and then make stock from it (also using the spent vegetables from cleaning out the fridge).

I also take the time to freeze some meals so I am not as tempted to stop for fast food. I keep stuffed peppers, a couple of meatloafs, and some pre-made pie shells in the fridge/freezer for an impromptu chicken pot pie.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Weston A Price is about traditional eating; eating the way people did before the promotion of highly processed foods. It goes against some "common" knowledge, but it makes sense that people ate like this for a long time and didn't suffer the same problems we do today with our health.

I agree with taking it slowly and making one change a week or two; very easy to burn out if you try to do too much, too fast.

I go in spurts. Some weeks, I'm a baking/cooking queen. Then the next week, I don't feel like doing anything (including laundry and dishes). If I get bogged down with school work, I also tend to cook less from scratch. It definitely helps if you have room to store stuff you've made ahead. We live in a small apartment and have nowhere to put a chest freezer, so we make do with what we have.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine View Post
http://www.westonaprice.org/

Weston A Price is about traditional eating; eating the way people did before the promotion of highly processed foods. It goes against some "common" knowledge, but it makes sense that people ate like this for a long time and didn't suffer the same problems we do today with our health.

I agree with taking it slowly and making one change a week or two; very easy to burn out if you try to do too much, too fast.

I go in spurts. Some weeks, I'm a baking/cooking queen. Then the next week, I don't feel like doing anything (including laundry and dishes). If I get bogged down with school work, I also tend to cook less from scratch. It definitely helps if you have room to store stuff you've made ahead. We live in a small apartment and have nowhere to put a chest freezer, so we make do with what we have.
I am blessed with having a chest freezer, so the making ahead and storing forzen foods/meals wouldn't be an issue. My issue is finding places to store my dry ingredients that I want to purchasei n bulk. This house has no pantry (unlike the last 3 homes I've lived in) so we've put free standing pantry inside the coat closet. It's close to the kitchen and right now it's the best option I have. But it still leaves me scrambling to find space.

For you bread makers... how do you store your bread when you bake a week at a time? And I'd love to have some great recipes for dinner rolls. I really like the kind that are a bit hard and crusty on the outside, but soft and chewey on the inside.

I'm hoping to get ahead this week and do some pre-baking. I especially like the idea of making pancakes/waffles in large batches and freezing. I also like the idea of doing the same thing with the eggs for breakfast burritos and buscuit sandwiches! DH would LOVE that!!! i ate so many breakfast burritos when I was pregnant with DS#2, I was ALWAYS craving eggs, milk and cheese. With DS#1 it was sweets. So as you can imagine I put on a lot LESS weight with number 2 than with my first.

Thanks for all the great suggestions ladies! Please keep 'em comming.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #19
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
I don't know off the top of my head how much they cost but I'm gonna say you could probly get a good used one for 100$.
Wow, that's alot more than I thought it would cost. Can't afford that right now

Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
velcromom
Registered Users

We are basically followers of the Traditional Foods way of eating that Weston Price advocates. We are pretty flexible though I try to cover the fundamentals.

It took me several years to go from "hm, we should switch to whole grains" to "this week I'll make sauerkraut, bread, bone broth, and pick up a quarter of grassfed beef" so do not try to make too many changes at once! I have been helped a lot by this site - www.tfrecipes.com - that gives a ton of tips for making the switch easier and less overwhelming.

here's a quick overview of what Traditional Foods means - and none of these are very hard or time consuming if you break it down into steps and work it in batches rather than trying to do it in meal-size portions all the time.

What are Traditional Foods?
Traditional foods are foods that have been properly prepared so that maximum nutrition can be derived from what you eat. Here are the top 10 traditional foods:

1. Meat from grass-fed animals -- especially the fat and organs

2. Bone broths

3. Lacto-fermented vegetables (think saurkraut or kim-chi)

4. Raw milk, cheese, butter, and other dairy products from grass-fed, free range animals

5. Sourdough bread (or bread made with slow-rise methods)

6. Eggs from free-roaming chickens

7. Vegetables from organic, bio-diverse local sources

8. Lacto-fermented beverages such as kombucha, kefir, beet kvass

9. Properly prepared nuts, seeds, and grains

10. Cod liver oil and other seafood
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote