Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Re: To the mamas who buy little or no pre-packaged foods.

We strive to follow the guidelines outlined by Velcromom. I wanted to second the recommendation for www.tfrecipes.com. It's a wonderful resource!

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #22
JessB
Registered Users

When I make a lasagna, casserole, pizza, or anything that might freeze well, I always make 3 or 4 at a time and freeze the uncooked ones. It makes it soooo much easier to do homemade. It doesn't take much more time to make 3 pizzas than one, and then I can just pull some out of the freezer one night and bake it with no more mess or hassle. It's easier for me to do it that way than to have a big baking day once a month and spend all day at it like some people do, but if that works for you, great! This way, I cook totally from scratch once or twice a week and pull from my freezer for the rest, unless I do something quick and easy like grilled cheese. :-)
JessB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
I have only tried doing this since the beginning of the year, and I've gone slowly.

For breakfast, DH used to eat frozen boxed sausage biscuits. Now I make him breakfast burritos that are cheaper and healthier. One pound of turkey sausage, a dozen eggs scrambled with milk (and you can take some of the yolks out to reduce calories and cholesterol), and 3-4 cups of your veggie/potato of choice will make about 14 half-cups of filling for burritos. The girls and I alternate eating fortified oatmeal (with nut butter, dried fruit, milk and honey), scrambled eggs, pancakes (hillybilly housewife recipe), and french toast daily.

We eat homemade pizza once a week. We make the dough in a handmedown breadmaker, but I've seen them at goodwill for an average of $10. I am not at the point of making our own sandwich bread, but I make rolls, french bread, and dessert breads with it a lot.

I make and freeze a lot of rice or potato-based casseroles. I also make and freeze meatloaves, fish or crab cakes, and egg rolls or dumplings. The trick is when you have time to make them, you make at least three so you have at least two to freeze for later.

I do a lot of crockpot stuff, roasts and the like. I'll even bake potatoes or sweet potatoes in there.

For reducing sweets, you have to switch them out for healthier versions. Instead of ice cream, frozen yogurt/popsicles (which are easy to make yourself). Instead of cake, you make banana bread or pumpkin bread. You get the idea.

You have to take it slowly, because new habits take time to form. Good luck!
And you can freeze these breakfast burritos, even with the eggs, and they taste ok when re-heated?
I am fascinated by this thread since it allows me to make the changes necessary for DDs allergies! Now if only I could afford to be a SAHM, I'd be a cooking powerhouse!
Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #24
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
Hey mamma, lets see where to start? I grew up using a whisper mill but when I got married my mum bought me a Nutrimill and they both work great. I don't know off the top of my head how much they cost but I'm gonna say you could probly get a good used one for 100$. I get my wheat from a lady who owns a small bulk store. You'll just have to do some research to find some in your area but make sure you get winter white wheat, it makes the best bread

I've also recently started following some of the Weston A. Price and do a lot of it but be careful as it's very extreme and like PP you will most likely burn yourself and your family out! My suggestion is just take it one step at a time do what you can and try not to feel guilty about the rest

Oatmeal is a great option for breakfast and is very healthy as long as it's not quick outs... make sure you get old fashioned and if you can buy it organic all the better. We eat a variation of it almost every morning from baked oatmeal to homemade granola. I have some great recipes I'll try and post later for you as just plan oatmeal can get kind of old If you are eating it plain putting things like mashed banana, peanut butter, nuts, raisins and or cinnamon can make a big difference.

Ezekial Bread is made from sprouted grains and is very healthy but not very tasty IMO

I'll sub and add as I think of things just have a lot on my mind but I hope that helps anyway
I would love it if you would share some of your oatmeal variation recipes (baked oatmeal?) with us! TIA!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
Koolio11
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisa47 View Post
I tried to jump in with both feet and got burned out pretty quickly. I suggest picking one thing every couple of weeks and going from there. I started with bread - it was something I had always wanted to learn how to make. So I started by experimenting until I found the perfect loaf of white, whole wheat, dinner rolls, etc. It took a little while, but now I bake every couple of days and also freeze my doughs to make my life a little simpler when we get busy.

Then I started making soups, and experimenting with those. Now I make a big batch of soup in the beginning of the week and then reheat for lunches during the week. I roast a chicken every 2 weeks and then make stock from it (also using the spent vegetables from cleaning out the fridge).

I also take the time to freeze some meals so I am not as tempted to stop for fast food. I keep stuffed peppers, a couple of meatloafs, and some pre-made pie shells in the fridge/freezer for an impromptu chicken pot pie.
Would you be willing to share these perfect 3 bread recipes you have?! TIA!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #26
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We eat very little processed foods.

We have a Vital Mill grain mill -- I grind soft wheat for pancakes/waffles/muffins and hard white for bread. I also keep some white flour on hand for certain types of bread/pizza dough. I make all my own bread -- we never buy bread from a store anymore. I do have a bread machine and usually only use the dough cycle -- I make pizza dough which can make 2 pizzas or 2 loaves of bread from it, which is really nice. We do that once a week. I make my own rolls for hamburgers, I also make flat bread and tortillas from scratch which is great for a quick meal or a "grilled cheese" sandwich.

I buy things in bulk - we always have frozen vegetables on hand and fresh fruit. The only "processed foods" we eat are cereals (I only eat whole grain cereals...) and crackers or pretzels for the kids snacks. We also buy yogurt (all-natural) ... we don't eat hfcs products. I do have a yogurt maker machine but haven't perfected my recipe yet, so I'm giving it a break.

I make my own chicken broth and freeze it to use in several recipes. I'm trying to find a good "cream of..." recipe because I refuse to use cream of chicken/mushroom/celery soup in a can anymore. Too much in it that I'm not comfortable using.

I just started grinding my own meat. I buy roasts and then grind meat in a manual meat grinder (costs $30 on Amazon) -- I can make hamburgers and meatballs with it ... or meat loaf.

I stock our pantry with the basics to make just about anything: flour, wheat, oats, sugar, yeast, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar...milk, eggs, butter, oil and then plenty of garlic, onions, pasta, vegetables and fruit and frozen meat. I actually cook up a bunch of chicken and keep it frozen until ready to use -- which makes meal making much quicker.

I've started growing my own herbs and vegetables, too, which saves on money and they are basically organic because I'm not putting anything on them.

I don't follow any particular method. I'm on the "failsafe" diet for some food sensitivities/allergies that I started experiencing a few years ago. I try to think of foods that I like that are prepackaged and then figure out a way to make them in their original form (i.e. before frozen dinners/processed foods were around).
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #27
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolio11 View Post
And you can freeze these breakfast burritos, even with the eggs, and they taste ok when re-heated?
I am fascinated by this thread since it allows me to make the changes necessary for DDs allergies! Now if only I could afford to be a SAHM, I'd be a cooking powerhouse!
It tastes fine to me, and DH hasn't complained. I do cook the sausage in the skillet, then take it out, and cook the potatoes in the drippings, then take it out, and then cook the eggs all in the same skillet - and that may or may not make a difference. I'm aware it may be healthier not to do it that way, but it tastes good and since we've switched to turkey sausage I have not felt guilty about it.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #28
velcromom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
I'm trying to find a good "cream of..." recipe because I refuse to use cream of chicken/mushroom/celery soup in a can anymore. Too much in it that I'm not comfortable using.

I stopped using canned cream soups a couple of years ago, that is really a budget saver and you are right, when I started reading the label I was like, ok I don't want to feed that to my kids!!

Since you have broth in the freezer, it's an easy switch away from the canned soups. Anytime you want a sauce base for a dish, or a quick gravy, here's all you need to do -

1) Make a roux: Melt 6tbs butter in a saucepan
Whisk in 6tbs flour

*If you are making a savory meaty sauce, brown the roux while stirring frequently, til it's golden brown, this will add a ton of flavor to the sauce.

*If you are making a white sauce, for example to use with tuna or salmon, don't brown the roux at all.

2) Whisk in one cup of liquid - most often this will be your homemade broth. For seafood, primavera or other light sauces, you can use milk.

Stir constantly for a few minutes til the sauce thickens. After that you can add whatever seasonings you like as well as the meat or veggies you are using for the recipe, and let it simmer on low (or add it to the crockpot if that's your plan).

Double or triple the recipe as needed.
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
I stopped using canned cream soups a couple of years ago, that is really a budget saver and you are right, when I started reading the label I was like, ok I don't want to feed that to my kids!!

Since you have broth in the freezer, it's an easy switch away from the canned soups. Anytime you want a sauce base for a dish, or a quick gravy, here's all you need to do -

1) Make a roux: Melt 6tbs butter in a saucepan
Whisk in 6tbs flour

*If you are making a savory meaty sauce, brown the roux while stirring frequently, til it's golden brown, this will add a ton of flavor to the sauce.

*If you are making a white sauce, for example to use with tuna or salmon, don't brown the roux at all.

2) Whisk in one cup of liquid - most often this will be your homemade broth. For seafood, primavera or other light sauces, you can use milk.

Stir constantly for a few minutes til the sauce thickens. After that you can add whatever seasonings you like as well as the meat or veggies you are using for the recipe, and let it simmer on low (or add it to the crockpot if that's your plan).

Double or triple the recipe as needed.
Thank you! That sounds great.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
faithballard
Registered Users

breadbeckers.com
faithballard is offline   Reply With Quote