Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Twin Playards

My sister is having twins at the end of the summer and we have a disagreement on this topic. She insists she needs a twin playard so the babies don't go over the weight limit in the top part during thier first 6 weeks of life. She really doesn't want them sleeping in their bedroom at all but knows that if she has a C-section she will need them close for a few weeks at least.

She wants them sleeping together so she would need to put them both in the same pack n play. I think she should just go with a regular pack n play since the babies (being identical with one placenta) will probably be born early and small and won't outweigh a regular pack n play bassinet weight for a few weeks.

Plus the only twin playards I have seen is the Graco one with two seperate bassinets and that is not what she wants.

What did you experienced twin moms use and why?

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
nicumama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Twin Playards

My friend has twins and had a co-sleeper (kinda like a pack and play), and she had her twin boys in it for at least 6-8 weeks at her bedside. She loved it and later on used it for one of them to sleep in until they got the second crib. She loved it!

Single Mommy to Graciela (07-05-08) Born at 32 weeks
and my furrbabies Eeyore, Snicklefritz and Chance.Home Daycare Provider , . My princess is a cloth diaper Graduate! (4/11)Proudly Canadian, with American Blood, Nascar Fan!!!

ISO: Gymboree Girls 4T clothing
IHA: Cloth diapers, girls clothes 2-3T.
nicumama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got a twin pack-n-play as a gift. The Graco one you mentioned is the only one I know of. She may have small babies, but if she doesn't, they could go over the weight limit for a regular pnp very quickly. The weight limit on the top of those is only 15lbs. That's only 7.5lbs per baby. The twin pnp holds 30lbs on top. But, even though I say all that, I wouldn't get the twin pnp again. Mine dd was very small. She came home at 3lbs 13oz. DS was bigger and came home around 6lbs. I put them in the twin pnp downstairs during the day and in one regular pnp in our room for about 6wks. They were not over the limit yet as they were both slow growers and still are. Ultimately, I didn't like the twin pnp. It ended up sagging in the middle when the babies got bigger and they would both roll inward. Also, you can't use the bassinet without the divider. My babies never cared to be cuddled close to each other, so that didn't matter, but when they were too heavy to both be in there because it caused it to sink in the center (but they still were not over the weight limit), I couldn't take the divider out and use it just for one baby. I then had a basically useless pnp bassinet and one regular that didn't hold both babies. If I have twins again, I will get two separate pnp's. I will still put both in the same one early on. (I used sleep positioners to prop them upright slightly and keep them from rolling into each other.) I think the twin pnp can be handy in the first couple months (like 2, maybe 3), but after that, we haven't used it much at all. (It's bigger too and takes up more space.) Most of the twin moms I know who got one, agree with me that it wasn't a great buy. Now, two exersaucers, that was a great buy!!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
i&a's mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My babes slept in the Graco Twin Pack n Play until they were 12 weeks old. We put both babies in one side of the bassinett when they were itty bitty. Then they each got their own before moving to their cribs. She may find that like my guys, her babes sleep better separately. Now my sitter uses it as a crib at her house. It was worth the money for us.

ETA: We kept the PNP right by our bed.

Last edited by i&a's mama; 04-16-2009 at 05:46 AM.
i&a's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if she's wanting something she can keep them both in and near her at night, i would suggest either she side-car a crib or even leave the side rail on and keep it in her room. or get 2 bassinets from craigslist, freecycle, mom2mom sales, consignment store, etc. they will likely fit in one together for a few weeks at least, depending on size.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
PsychicSandwich
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used the arm's reach co-sleeper. It's basically like a pack-n-play, but the weight limit is double in the bassinet (30 instead of 15) and it's higher in the lower setting too. I was still using it when the babies weighed over 15lbs combined, which would have maxed out a traditional PNP bassinet.

The co-sleeper can attach to the side of the bed, but I didn't use this function. After a c-section I couldn't handle having to scoot to the bottom of the bed to get in and out. We set it up just like a regular pack-n-play and I LOVED it.

The reason why I didn't want the Graco twin PNP was because I didn't like that the bassinets separated the top area. I highly recommend the arm's reach co-sleeper.
PsychicSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Jeb-O
Registered Users

I also recommend the co-sleeper like mentioned above!!
Jeb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
twopeas
Registered Users

Haven't had a chance to use it yet but we bought the full size Arm's reach co-sleeper based on so many other twin mama recommendations.
twopeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
PsychicSandwich
Registered Users

My Mood:

One bit of advice, put that sucker together BEFORE you come home from the hospital. The instructions that come with it aren't that good, lol. Although once you figure it out the first time, it's a lot easier the next time you have to take it down and put it back up.
PsychicSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Graco also makes a "Travel Lite" crib that is a smaller pack n play if she doesn't have room for 2 full-size ones. That may be a better bet if the twins are smaller and they are less expensive than the co-sleeper. Each bassinet would then go up to 15 pounds and they wouldn't HAVE to share if they didn't want to.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3012715

Hope this helps!
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote