Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
ariatrance
Registered Users
seller

Dairy Intolerance - am I on the right track?

E is now six weeks old and while we've been getting better at the breastfeeding, there are some GI issues that have come up. At two weeks, she started having a lot of gas and trouble pooping. She still pooped yellowish liquid but not really seedy anymore. By three weeks, she started spitting up - all the time, recently eaten, not recently eaten/chunky, etc. By four weeks, she was fussy at the breast and pulling on the nipple. I am pretty sore and my nipples are starting to crack. I think moisturizing is only going to help so much.

I have been block feeding for about two weeks to help with overactive let-down and I think that is starting to work for fussiness at the beginning of feedings. However, nothing else has been resolved. So I am wondering if it is a dairy issue.

My first, G, had these exact same issues and (EFF) we switched him to soy formula by seven weeks. All his GI issues resolved within days - no spitting up, no excessive gas and no difficulty pooping.

I have been mostly dairy-free since last Monday. I have taken out all obvious sources and switched to soy milk. However, the soy milk has made me have GI issues and turned E's poop green. I did slip yesterday and had a milkshake around 7 p.m. Today, E has had four poop blow-outs - yellow again but copious amounts. She's had lots of gas too. On the soy milk, she was still having these issues but I want to say the gas was diminished.

I realize it's too early to have total symptom resolution if dairy is indeed the cause but do you think I'm on the right track to go dairy-free?

Advertisement

ariatrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Re: Dairy Intolerance - am I on the right track?

DS was gassy at night at that age too, he grew out of it. I didn't find avoiding dairy did anything, I think it was a hind milk issue (not getting enough)
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Frogmama
I sell Great Baby Carriers!:)
Formerly: tlfoster15
sitesupporter
seller

It sounds like it could be dairy, I had to read labels and eliminate all dairy proteins while I was nursing. ALso I couldn't do soy milk or things with a lot of soy in them or it would make my kids really gassy. I stuck with almond or rice milk instead. It was hard at first, but got much easier I woudl try it for a few weeks, really cutting it out and then try a little and see if it causes a reaction.
Frogmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
mrsbesky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is totally allergic to dairy. Anything with even an once of dairy in it had to be avoided. She did not spit up, she threw up...everything. I had trouble getting her dr to understand the difference, so I tell you the same thing I told her. (sorry its gross) When she threwup, she threwup everything, as in if I had an empty bottle handy, I could have scooped it up and it filled the whole bottle. I'm mildly allergic to soy, so I didn't even try that, but from what I've heard, green poo is part of the whole soy thing.
I started pumping when I knew that I did not have anything with any dairy and froze it, so that if I had a messup and ate something with dairy I could give her the frozen and pump and dump the dairy filled bmilk.
If you do have to go off of all dairy make sure you take vitamins with calcium and vitamin D, so that you and you lo will still get the vitamins without the dairy. It's really hard to go all out dairy free, but don't be discouraged, pretty soon you will not even notice that your doing it.
my dd is now 19mo old, and she still can't have a bite of dairy. But she is strong and healthy. And I still don't hardly eat any dairy, I got so used to not eating it that I just never really went back.
And for the sore nipples, I had to use the lanolin stuff as well as cold packs. There like gel nursing pads that you stick in you bra, and there cold. You put them inthe fridge not the freezer (ouch). I wish I could tell you where to get them, but mine came from the hospital. Maybe your dr might have some???
"The Lord is good a stronghold in the day of trouble and He knoweth them that trust in him" Nahum 1:7 Married to a wonderful man and mom of 4 princess angels: A(9) and K(6) (TJ my angel with Jesus ) and C(1)
mrsbesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
ariatrance
Registered Users
seller

Okay, so we've been dairy free for 10 days now other than an M&M Frosty and six small pieces of cheese. The first seven days I used soy milk as a replacement. That didn't work well for me, so I have tried rice milk the last three days.

As said in the original post, her poop color changed from yellowish to green on the soy milk. After the Frosty, her poop was back to yellow for the day after I drank it. Now, on the rice milk and dairy free again, her poop is back to green.

Everything I've read about breastfeeding has said green poop is not a good sign. However, I'm wondering if that is not actually true. She is not fussier or in pain; there is no rash; there is no extra spit-up. So could her green poop be okay? And as a matter of curiosity, why do you think dairy would make her poop yellow and non-dairy would make it green?

ariatrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

I don't know about the green poop - I think it can be any color of the rainbow as long as it's not mucousy, bloody or causing them pain. With the gas, a lot of babies are just gassy. My youngest is super gassy.

As for the milk allegy, my first DD was allergic to cow's milk protein (I was also allergic as a baby). We didn't realize it for 2 months. At about 2-3 weeks she started getting really fussy after feedings, screaming for an hour after, and even longer at night. She was constantly poopy, and it was very running out of her. I thought this was how it was supposed to look if they were breastfed (until now I see DD2s). It also had a lot of mucous. I brought this up to the dr and she suspected a dairy allergy. I cut out everything, and the difference was night and day. I started noticing a direct correlation between eating dairy and the crying and diarhea. She was almost 2 when she finally outgrew it.

If it is a dairy allergy, you might have to completely cut it out. I couldn't even have things MADE with butter or milk. Babies with food allergies usually have some sort of reaction, like a rash, diarhea or congestion problems. HTH!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!

Last edited by beesbaby2; 04-15-2009 at 08:33 PM.
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Frogmama
I sell Great Baby Carriers!:)
Formerly: tlfoster15
sitesupporter
seller

Yes like the pp said I had to cut out all dairy so nothing made with any form of dairy. so nothing at all, maybe it is still that little bit making it green? If that is the only sign and she seems happy then you could still cut it completly out and see if the color changes, if not you may just have to make it very minimal.
Frogmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
marisajoy
Registered Users

Been dealing with a very similar issue here. Sadly (since you sound like you love the dairy as much as I do) you may be right about cutting out the dairy.

I've had to cut out eggs because she was having a ton of painful gas. Had to cut out milk and all milk-containing products because she was having explosive poop & vomiting. We went to an allergist and had tests done for milk and egg allergies - both were negative.

As soon as all of the dairy was out of my system, her poop turned green! Spoke w/her doctor and was told that it was alright as long as the poop was an "earthy" color and not overly frothy or mucusy.

Had a "relapse" last weekend (I really really missed my cheese!) and she ended up with projectile vomiting and explosive yellow poop for a few days.

Oddly enough, I've also had issues w/an overactive letdown. Wonder if the pressure & speed at which the milk comes out has anything to do with this? Especially since she doesn't seem to have as much of a reaction to taking "dairy-tainted" milk from a bottle.
marisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Lukesmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had to cut all dairy and soy out of my diet. My son has been so MUCH better since I have done this. If I supplement, I use the hypoalleginic formula.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
lovingcloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am an experienced nursing mother..i am currently nursing my 17 month old son. i am also involved in La Leche League. without directly talking with you it sounds to me like your baby is receiving too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. therefor the poop would not be seedy because the baby isn't getting enough fat to allow the seed...milk curds to form. i read some of your other posts and you said that you have an overactive let-down all ready. you might want to try to pump a little before you latch baby not through your let-down but until it starts and than latch the baby. i think your little one is fussing at the breast due to hunger and not liking your let down an overactive letdown can be a big rush of milk and your babies sucking and swallowing might not be keeping up. is baby choking when this occurs? if you need any further assistance i would be more than happy to talk with you and i think you should contact your local la leche group..it is a wonderful resource.
lovingcloth is offline   Reply With Quote