Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #101
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

That is silly. Her point was that some people do not want their children to see breasfeeding and that is just as much thier right as it is our right to breastfeed. There is no magical age. Saying that other parents should just get over it and not let their kids out of the house is wrong.

Advertisement

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #102
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesbaby2 View Post
That is silly. Her point was that some people do not want their children to see breasfeeding and that is just as much thier right as it is our right to breastfeed. There is no magical age. Saying that other parents should just get over it and not let their kids out of the house is wrong.
Actually, no. The law even states the right to breastfeed where and how I choose is mine. There is no law "protecting" a child from witnessing breastfeeding in a public place. And there absolutely should not be one, and never will be.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #103
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd go to the park anyways - and whip it out .... modestly of course. :Giggle:
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #104
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
How does it not matter what other parents think when are are on a school event with other peoples children? It matters a lot to the school apparently or they would not have said anything at all. This is really a lose-lose situation because no one really cares what the other thinks and the school will see it is easier to deal with one complaint than many. It should be up to you as the parent as to if you want your child to see things on A SCHOOL EVENT- ignorant or not, no matter what it is.
Because parents can't control everything. You can disagree with some things, but in a public school especially, you only have certain choices. If you don't like what's done, pull your kids out, that's your choice.

The reality is that if your child goes on a class trip to a public place, there will be other people there, and you do not have the right to dictate what other people do in a public place, regardless of what it is. If you're worried about your child's exposure to people in public places, don't allow your child to go. Simple as that.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #105
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Because parents can't control everything. You can disagree with some things, but in a public school especially, you only have certain choices. If you don't like what's done, pull your kids out, that's your choice.

The reality is that if your child goes on a class trip to a public place, there will be other people there, and you do not have the right to dictate what other people do in a public place, regardless of what it is. If you're worried about your child's exposure to people in public places, don't allow your child to go. Simple as that.
I agree...this is like when I was in school they wanted to do a sex ed class when I was what my mom considered to young, so she didn't let me go to the class that day. She addressed this with the principal and I was given other work to make up for missing the class. If other parents do not want their kids to see a mom breastfeeding then they shouldn't allow THEIR kids to go on the field trip. Noone should lose their rights...not the breastfeeding momma, nor the parent because of ignorance or whatever views breastfeeding as sexual and do not want their kids to see it. The breastfeeding momma should go breastfeed her kiddo and if other parents have a problem they have rights too....the right to NOT send their child to XYZ because momma will be breastfeeding. However if momma is asked to not breastfeed then HER rights are being trampled on.

We just PCSed from Ft Bliss TX to Ft Meade MD...sooo excited about that!!

Addicted to Piddle Poddles!!! I LOVE them!!! I really should find the wagon....someday!!!
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #106
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

I don't think anyone is disputing the right to nurse in public here. We know the law. I personally choose to respect other people's views too and atleast cover up. Maybe I am just too considerate, but that's just my opinion.

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #107
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't think anyone is disputing the right to nurse in public here. We know the law. I personally choose to respect other people's views too and atleast cover up. Maybe I am just too considerate, but that's just my opinion.
I don't feel that I need to make my child physically uncomfortable because someone else is ignorant. Not to mention, I'd feel demeaned sitting someplace with my chest under a tent.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #108
Legendofthehawk
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

It's silly?

Whats silly is some parents are so uptight that they don't want their kids to 'see' how babies get fed. Think about that. Because that is exactly what it is. Feeding a child. Even when you keep in mind when a child is nursing that you can't see much anyway but perhaps a swell of breast. Much more which is usually seen in todays fashion of low tank tops and push up bras..

How ludicrous would it be if my son was on a field trip, I saw a mother feeding an infant with a bottle.. and I threw a royal hissy fit that she should cover him up while she fed him? OMG! Feeding teh baby. How dare you do that in public! And I admonished her because now my son would think that infants get their nutrition from plastic nipples, and how she held him close to her breast was just insulting.

You'd think I'd need one of those special white jackets with buckles. Same thing. Infants have to eat. That's how it is. You don't like it, well, don't look. You want to control your precious from seeing anything having to do with breasts. Well. It is reasonable then to banish your TV, and home school them.

Quote:

Quote:
I don't feel that I need to make my child physically uncomfortable because someone else is ignorant. Not to mention, I'd feel demeaned sitting someplace with my chest under a tent.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #109
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

thanks to the mamas that can see my point/both sides. I'm not going to argue, I've said what my thoughts are on the matter.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #110
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

In order for the breastfeeding rates to be able to SOME DAY go up, we need to get rid of these STUPID stigmas about breasts and breastfeeding. Feeding a baby is normal, natural, the reason that breasts are there to begin with. They are NOT there to be boy toys and people need to get that idea out of their heads right now. That won't be done with staying at home nursing, that won't be done with hiding our nursing child under large blankets. But many of us do, sadly, because we're afraid of being attacked for doing what is best for our little ones. I have NEVER felt comfortable nursing in public because I know how society in general feels but I do feel that this needs to change because if this doesn't, breastfeeding rates will NEVER get close to 100%.

Also, considering the worldwide AVERAGE age for weaning is FOUR, not nursing in front of a child over two is a bit much. I mean, my daughter is still nursing at 3 years, 3 months.

Comparing it to urinating is also a bit much. There's a HUGE difference between expelling waste and feeding a baby the natural way.

I can remember watching a video in school when I was 11 (Catholic school too) and a mom on the video was nursing! I can remember being kind of embarrassed about it because I was a bit hung up about my breasts to begin with (very self conscious about them) and I really didn't understand what was going on even though my nephew had been breastfed!

I can remember seeing Medicine Man in high school. In that movies, the women didn't have any covering on their breasts AT ALL!

One time, there were breastfeeding segments on both Mr. Rogers AND Sesame Street! The horror!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote