Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #121
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
But, I have small boobs (I think it is way harder to be discrete and comfy with large ones) and my mom was an LLL leader, so it gave me confidence.
Yeah that was me, H cups and overweight to boot! Still, I nursed my three year old daughter on an airplane! Fortunately, it was when we were OVER the ocean (12 hour INTERNATIONAL flight from San Francisco to Seoul, South Korea) so they couldn't kick me off or anything but STILL, I was trying to use a blanket over my DD. *sigh* LLL meetings I at least felt comfortable nursing at but I think a lot of my toddler nursing confidence got shattered when a mom made a comment about how her daughters were trying to nurse from HER after they saw me nurse my DD and she didn't breastfeed past a week. She also said it at a time when we were having a dispute so that REALLY hurt because it was two months after the fact and she had NEVER said anything prior to then. That also ended up being the end of our very brief friendship and I definitely never nursed directly in front of friends after that. Not nursing around family was harder to avoid (especially when I was living with them) and I got TONS of comments from them on how she was old enough to be done. But, with an international move coming up, the last thing I was going to do was force her to wean. Though to be honest, I really have no idea when she's going to wean and we've been here a month! I definitely did not originally plan to go this long when DD was first born but it's been an adventure, that's for sure!

Advertisement

My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #122
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
The issue is that if she has the right to be on the property otherwise, she has the right to be there breastfeeding.
The issue comes in that even in states that have laws protecting the rights, there's no enforcement clause. Only a handful of states have any actual legal consequence for infringing on this particular right.
That's why lawsuits come of it, not trials.
This is why I'm SO GLAD Wisconsin now has a law that fines anyone who harasses a breastfeeding mom. It's too bad that there has to be a law in the first place but I am glad there is one all the same.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #123
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I spoke to the principal and I am not sure what to think. He really tried to skirt the issue as much as I tried to pin him down. He stated that the policy is "normally" not to allow other siblings on trips. He explained that I completely understand I did not take issue to that at all. I explained why I was upset and that I did not believe the statement should be made too the kids at all. He said he would not comment on the breastfeeding issue without talking to the teacher more.

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #124
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

If they don't allow siblings at all, I think that is one thing. To allow siblings in general, but not breastfeeding - that's wrong and illegal and can be fought in a straighforward way with the law. The opinions of the other parents are irrelevant because it is a legal issue.

For her to tell your child that your breastfeeding in public would be inappropriate - that would make me really mad, and that's what I would be complaining to her supervisors about now. She has no right to convey that value judgement to your child and should have spoken to you directly if she had an issue.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #125
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Our school policy is no siblings on field trips BUT there are many times that certain parents brought small children SO if I were to want to do the same thing and told no I'd be mad. I'm sorry that the principal skirted the issue. He certainly should have apologized. I mean if they don't want siblings there fine... if they have issues with breastfeeding it's a whole different story.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #126
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

I think I would be calling him back this afternoon and finding out if he talked to the teacher and if I was not satisfied I would be calling the school board...or going down there even.

We just PCSed from Ft Bliss TX to Ft Meade MD...sooo excited about that!!

Addicted to Piddle Poddles!!! I LOVE them!!! I really should find the wagon....someday!!!
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #127
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

That's ridiculous to ask a nursing mother who is covering to leave. Ludicrous.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #128
Mama Bear X3
Registered Users

My Mood:

i havent read anything but the first page of replies, but HOW IN THE WORLD is feeding a baby anything BUT appropriate?

does the teacher suggest letting the poor baby scream in hunger the whole time? certainly a happy nursing babe is less distracting than a crying one!
Mama Bear X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #129
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He has not called back but he was already a little deceptive with me. My children said that there is always siblings along on trips. In fact they just went to a local environmental center last week and there was a baby and a 3 year old.

Willow
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #130
savingbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is that in writing? (the no sib policy, I mean?)
I would check your copy of the student handbook, and if it doesn't say anything about it, I would def. be letting them know.