Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #131
Jeb-O
Registered Users

Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard! I would be talking to the school board. The school's behavior is inappropriate!

Advertisement

Jeb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #132
zoesmama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows View Post
Personally I would never use a cover, I have no problem with people that do I think it is a personal decision. For myself I would feel wrong to cover, like it is necessary to be discreet. I feel that that it is entirely appropriate in our society for children, even older ones to see a breastfeeding mother and know what is going on. My intention is not to show my breasts but not to feel it is something to hide. I certain would not go somewhere private because it would feel wrong to me.

Willow
It's modern civilization that's sexualized the breasts. In some cultures, mother's needn't cover their breasts. I don't believe that I should have to cover up when breastfeeding and honestly would resent a stranger telling me that I should. That said, I do cover up around some family members, especially my dad, because he's uncomfortable when I breastfeed around him. So, out of respect for him, I cover my boobs.
Baby Wraps & Nursing Shawls starting at $10
zoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #133
elenasmommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i could see her asking you to be discreat and asking you not sending a message through your child!! i could see her asking you to cover up because of the other children but to say no all togher is illigal or at least it is in va...
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #134
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
I haven't read all the responses but here in OH the law is a nursing baby is allowed anywhere in public that the mother is or was allowed to be previously.... so that law would trump the law of no siblings. Our school here had the rule of no siblings but if your baby is nursing you CAN take a nursing baby. I even took my nearly 18 month old at the time because he was still nursing and there was not a thing they could do about it.

I have wondered about the way that was worded before.... I wonder if it really truly would trump anything else if someone tried to do something about it (shool or otherwise)?
Although I think my state's law is worded something to the tune of "anywhere mother and child are otherwise entitled to be" I will have to go look it up

As far as the OP's situation.... I would go and feed my child regardless without discussing it any further with anyone. When and where I feed my child is not up for discussion with ill-intentioned and/or ill-informed people.

ETA: Oh yay Alabama's is worded that way too... Where the MOTHER is allowed to be... not MOTHER AND CHILD! That is awesome!!!

Section 22-1-13
Breastfeeding children in public or private locations.
A mother may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be present.

(Act 2006-526, p. 1222, 1.)
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!

Last edited by shanree; 04-17-2009 at 03:37 PM.
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #135
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenasmommie View Post
i could see her asking you to be discreat and asking you not sending a message through your child!! i could see her asking you to cover up because of the other children but to say no all togher is illigal or at least it is in va...
Asking a woman to cover would be called "interfering" and is also illegal in many states, as it well should be.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #136
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am the same way... and totally agree with you. In this case i would compromise to the point that I would cover up. I would not go away or refuse to talk to the children during nursing. i would just act like it is totally normal (uh cuz it is!) and feed wherever we were. I have run in to this with my nieces and nephews. they are either interested and want to ask about it, or visibly uncomfortable because they are nearing puberty and still want to ask about it. Either way i say the same stuff and act open and honest. Good luck mama!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #137
Legendofthehawk
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesbaby2 View Post
What I meant when I said "that is silly" is that it is silly for that poster to be that disrespectful to to the other poster who voiced her opinion. She was very rude and demeaning. I completely understand everyone's point of view, but some of these posts are downright disrespectful of other people. Everyone here should have a right to their opinion, and some of the people are just sitting on this post just WAITING for someone to say something they don't agree with so they can bash them.
Here is the thing. This is breast feeding support. It is not supportive to tell another woman to cover up or to encourage her to do so. It is not supportive of breast feeding to agree with the sexualization one of the previous poster has with breast. Especially being something that they feel is 'taught' and something they wouldnt want their children to see.

Not all women feel comfortable NIP. Heck, I still don't. But I do it because we need to, and covering up is only going to point out the obvious to everyone else and its going to make my child upset and cause a fuss.

We do need to support mothers and encourage them to nurse. To not hide under expensive covers, to not have anxiety about children fussing under blankets, or running out to a hot car or a cramped bathroom. People give no thought to giving babies bottles in public because kids gotta eat. Same should be said for the breast fed infant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
This is why I'm SO GLAD Wisconsin now has a law that fines anyone who harasses a breastfeeding mom. It's too bad that there has to be a law in the first place but I am glad there is one all the same.

Do they really?? I know they were working on getting it passed when it came up last year.

Haha. Now I want to go back to Ren faire..
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #138
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendofthehawk View Post
Do they really?? I know they were working on getting it passed when it came up last year.

Haha. Now I want to go back to Ren faire..
Here's an article about it, I haven't seen anything more on it so I'm guessing it did make it all the way through:

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20090224/APC0101/90224136/1003/APC01
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #139
BumChums
Banned~Multiple accounts~ mum2b3 and Bumchums
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendofthehawk View Post
It's silly?

Whats silly is some parents are so uptight that they don't want their kids to 'see' how babies get fed. Think about that. Because that is exactly what it is. Feeding a child. Even when you keep in mind when a child is nursing that you can't see much anyway but perhaps a swell of breast. Much more which is usually seen in todays fashion of low tank tops and push up bras..

How ludicrous would it be if my son was on a field trip, I saw a mother feeding an infant with a bottle.. and I threw a royal hissy fit that she should cover him up while she fed him? OMG! Feeding teh baby. How dare you do that in public! And I admonished her because now my son would think that infants get their nutrition from plastic nipples, and how she held him close to her breast was just insulting.

You'd think I'd need one of those special white jackets with buckles. Same thing. Infants have to eat. That's how it is. You don't like it, well, don't look. You want to control your precious from seeing anything having to do with breasts. Well. It is reasonable then to banish your TV, and home school them.

Well said LOTH.. i have to agree. children cant be put in bubble wrap forever! your breasts are there to nourish your children, there is nothing wrong with doing so even in public, you simply cannot stay home 24/7 for months or even years to please everyone else! its not rude or disgusting whatsoever. Children are INNOCENT, they dont mind about mummys wobbly bits, overgrown armpit hair, how his/her baby brother/sister and the little girl across the street gets fed. everything is NEW to children they just keep learning and one day (being now or later) they will know what they are for, but hopefully the media wont get to them first... but that said i do see everyones point here. i myself, try to cover while out but sometimes a hungry tired fussy baby (esp. when its hot) does NOT want to be covered, so then i will try to face the wall if possible or cover with my top. if there was to be a little flash of a nipple, i dont think it was the intention. i do agree in some situations private feeding is apropriate such as BF infront of someone who canot fully understand; I have a step sister-in-law with Downs Syndrome (my hubbys dads' wifes' daughter) who walked into the living room where i was feeding bubs (she was only a few days old) and had a huge fit because i was being "rude" she just kept shouting "what is she doing?!!" i felt terrible.

Theres no need to argue girls

Last edited by BumChums; 04-17-2009 at 10:09 PM.
BumChums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #140
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:

Yea I didn't read all the posts but that's illegal sweetheart. You need to call the school and if they don't ablidge then call the school board or whatnot until you reach someone who can DO something about it.

Besides, seriously, it's a boob. Or, as I call them, bottles! What's the big deal!!
PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote