Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #31
frankelmama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

Is it possible that your dd misunderstood the teacher? Really hoping that's what happened b/c that is TOTALLY inappropriate on her part to discuss something like that with your dd and not you. I would call the teacher fist - give her a chance (hoping for a big misunderstanding), then go up the chain of command as Jamie said. That is totally absurd!

Advertisement

frankelmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #32
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would completely understand if I couldn't bring the baby at all.That is why I asked if it would be alright. That being said all three of my children are in the same class and were there when the teacher gave her opinion. They were really confused as they want to show off their little brother and tried to explain to her that he has never had a bottle. She told them that is the only way he could come.
Willow
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #33
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willows View Post
I would completely understand if I couldn't bring the baby at all.That is why I asked if it would be alright. That being said all three of my children are in the same class and were there when the teacher gave her opinion. They were really confused as they want to show off their little brother and tried to explain to her that he has never had a bottle. She told them that is the only way he could come.
Willow
That is crazy! And as many PP mentioned illegal. I would pull up and print out the laws and take them to the principal and go from there. That is discrimination on their part and could land them in legal hot water.
Fight the battle for sure! I know I would! I would want to go now more than ever just to prove a point!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #34
vlinderanna
Registered Users

My Mood:

where's the jaw-drop smiley when you need it??? wow
Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
I can see both sides. I'm pro breastfeeding but I don't think I would be too happy if my son went on a field trip and a lady popped her boob out and fed in front of him. If you covered or went somewhere private I don't see the problem.

My friends and I all breastfeed in public all the time... at playgroups and child related stuff we don't even cover, but if there were children around older than 2 we do cover.

Because heaven forbid a child see that breasts feed babies.....
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #36
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimibella View Post
I would give them a call and let them know the situation. Ask them if they have an official policy in accordance with the law, and if their teachers are aware of it. It may give them an opportunity to create one and educate their teachers a little bit.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #37
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally I would never use a cover, I have no problem with people that do I think it is a personal decision. For myself I would feel wrong to cover, like it is necessary to be discreet. I feel that that it is entirely appropriate in our society for children, even older ones to see a breastfeeding mother and know what is going on. My intention is not to show my breasts but not to feel it is something to hide. I certain would not go somewhere private because it would feel wrong to me.

Willow
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #38
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm ... if you were a "volunteer" for the trip than maybe, just maybe, I could see the teacher's point (not about not feeding your baby, but being available to do 'volunteer' stuff). However, if you were to *meet* the class at the park at the same time as when they were to be there ... eh. I've 'gone on field trips' but because I took my other children I had to take my own vehicle.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #39
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Hmmm ... if you were a "volunteer" for the trip than maybe, just maybe, I could see the teacher's point (not about not feeding your baby, but being available to do 'volunteer' stuff). However, if you were to *meet* the class at the park at the same time as when they were to be there ... eh. I've 'gone on field trips' but because I took my other children I had to take my own vehicle.
It is absolutely always uncalled for for anyone to tell any woman that she needs to/should/it would be nice if/must cover, or not breastfeed, for the sake of some sense modesty, or "decency," or discretion, or whatever.

It's also illegal in a lot of states, including Pennsylvania.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #40
Lukesmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did not read everything everyone posted...but I am a teacher. And I am going back to work in 2 weeks. And my kids gave me a baby shower. I had one kid ask what that was (a nursing cover) and one of my parents said, "she is nursing her baby, and it covers them in public". I thought it was cool, because those kids look up to me, and I hope that impacts their reaction to nursing.
As far as the school goes, they cannot tell you not to nurse. They can ask you not to (I don't know why they would) but they cannot tell you that you can't go, or can't nurse.
I have had parents nurse during conferences before.
People need to get over it.