Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #51
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
so you're ok with women going topless in front of children then? how is a child supposed to understand that it's ok to see a breast if there is a baby attached to it but not ok to see a breast in any other circumstance.
Because breasts are for babies? They exist to feed babies. They're mammary glands. That's what they do.
It is ALWAYS ok for a woman to breastfeed her baby. It is additionally ALWAYS ok for children to see that, whether or not there is breast actually visible. It is normal. It is how babies are fed.

Advertisement

SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #52
Adyson's Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

You have every right to breastfeed in public! If that teacher tells you other wise, you go to the principal and if he/she says you can't, you go to the school board! Really, I'm serious. I stongly believe in breastfeeding (if the person is willing and able) and there are laws supporting women to publicly breastfeed! Stand your ground!
Adyson's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #53
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow! That stinks! I can't believe that a teacher would say that...ridic! I would call the school and still come and still nurse...I might be nice and bring a cover, though...even though I usually don't use one. I hope it works out!

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #54
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
so you're ok with women going topless in front of children then? how is a child supposed to understand that it's ok to see a breast if there is a baby attached to it but not ok to see a breast in any other circumstance.
Why on earth would you want to teach children that a body part is shameful anyway?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #55
fanatic4cloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

We used to live In FL and we went to MIAMi to the beach Little did We know it was a topless beach. No signs were posted Nothing it was a public beach. I did see it is against the law. But no one stopped the people. So my Son saw hooters I was shocked and we left me covering his eyes. Sorry nothing wrong with him seeing a baby on a hooter. But not at a freakin beach! I personally cover when I feed Just because that is me. But whatever anyone else does is their own business. Also you should tell that teacher in the society we live in today. It is not uncommon to see hooters hanging around. Only thing pretty much covered on ppl today is their nipples. But everything else is on public display In any place.
Love is compromise. Its accepting that both of you are diffrent. And learning to love the uniqueness of each other. Its learning to love those things which drive you nuts, and accepting them and not trying to change someone to how you want them to be.
fanatic4cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #56
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Maybe if we didn't think of breasts as "hooters" and as sexual objects rather than a body part used for feeding babies people would not freak out so. I have no issue with nudity anyway I don't see the human body as shameful. I would never cover my child's eyes to prevent him from seeing breasts.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #57
frankelmama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Kids are exposed to breasts sexually ALL the time everywhere in public. Just yesterday my 6yo son's eyes got very large when he saw a poster at a store of a woman topless and only covering her nipples. This was at a family/public place. The store was near the front door of the mall and you had to walk right past it to get to the kiddie play area. I would much rather my son see a mother breastfeeding (w/o being covered at all) than the sexual adds that clothing stores use. That being said we had company over the other night (first time they had been over since Bella was born). They have a 2 yo daughter (their youngest) who was extremely fascinated with Bella. It came time for her to eat and the little girl was staring as I was about to feed Bella. I reminded my friend that I breastfeed and I was totally comfortable with it, but wanted to make sure she was with her daughter so interested. I was not going to do anything special to cover or leave the room. My friend just explained that I was feeding the baby and the little girl said oh and went on to play. I think if you just say it like it is and not make a big deal children will follow your lead. They only see it as "bad" if we portray it that way. I would tell any child that came up to me the same thing and have been asked by children in public I have no idea who they are.
child "What are you doing?" or "What is that baby doing to you?"
me "This is how I feed my baby."
Plain and simple!

Breastfeeding is not wrong, inappropriate, or shameful in any way, in any place, or at any time!

ETA: after re-reading this the last line sounds a little Dr. Suesish

Last edited by frankelmama; 04-15-2009 at 07:13 AM.
frankelmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #58
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmamatobe View Post
Why on earth would you want to teach children that a body part is shameful anyway?
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #59
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not overreacting in the slightest (oh and FWIW, I was not able to BF my DD so I am not biased in this)...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #60
kateri25
Registered Users

My Mood:

honestly I use a cover when I feed in public 90% of the time, and I think that makes it MORE obvious than when I don't but I use one for my husband's sake it makes him uncomfortable. I think however what she said to your children is the biggest issue. I don't think she can say anything if you happen to be at the same park at the same time as they are there. If your child gets hungry by all means feed them. I know my DS won't go more than like 2 seconds after he is hungry before he MUST be fed. The laws are in your favor there. However I would go to the principal just for what the teacher told your children. I feel that perhaps the teacher needs to be educated in this case. I would keep at it until your children get an apology (obviously they had an issue with this) Oh and the next time you have a meeting with her make sure your child is hungry and bring them with.