Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Help! DS suddenly hates diaper changes/being on his back

2 days ago DS started to hate getting his diaper changed, getting clothes put on, or even being on his back for any reason. He's been crawling for about a month, but I can tell it's still related to a mobility / "I want to explore my world" reason. He will literally scream at the top of his lungs & twist with all his might. Sometimes I can't hardly hold him still, even while holding firmly with 2 hands. It's almost *impossible* to get a diaper on him. In the past I've often given him a toy to distract him, but he wants nothing to do with toys now. As soon as he started having these tantrums, I firmly told him "NO" and "Hold still". I've been consistent with that - not that it's making any difference so far!

So for those who have BTDT.... any suggestions??? How in the world do I get the kid to hold still long enough to get a diaper on him?? "Squirmy" is one thing, but the amount of twisting & crawling & screaming he's doing is just ridiculous!!! TIA!!!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! DS suddenly hates diaper changes/being on his back

Anyone??? I could really use some help!!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

BTDT with our older two. It is just a stage. He has a new found freedom and wants to use it. I do not remember how we handled it,but I remember it going away not too long after it started.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
A'smommy
Registered Users

DD went through that stage. Sometimes she'll do it even now, just for a change of pace.

The only advice I have is either pin 'em down and try to do it as quickly as possible, or let 'em go nakey for a little while. (You might want to keep some puppy pads handy if you take Door #2. )

My DH will make funny noises to distract her, like noises for changing tires in a NASCAR pit crew. Giving her toys helps sometimes too.

GL, HTH!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I had a special item that DS could only have during diaper changes and of course made those changes very quickly! If you have a "pretty" or something that DS loves to look at or wants to touch, but it is not a toy, that would work great. I would change them so he wouldn't lose interest, but often it was a figurine off the mantle or something similar he loved to look at-we called them pretties cuz you could look, but not touch.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am also going thru this same thing. It is so frustrating- changes used to be so easy and we would take our time,sing a little song or something and now it is a struggle just to get the pants down. I did find some books she had not seen before and those seem to be helping so I have kept a few back to change them out.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

EThan is almost 1 and he's loathed all diaper changes and dressing times since about 7 or 8 months LOL. It never gets better LOL. Sometimes I try a different place- like I 'll change his diaper on the floor or in the play area, or anything other than the changing table. As soon as I put him down there he bursts out into tears of rage. Sometimes he's okay, but serioulsy- this kid would rather sit ina poopy diaper and his pjs all day.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
lovinlife
Registered Users

I give him an otherwise off-limits thing to play with: my keys, cellphone, or something unusual like a plastic clothes hanger.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
lovebugsmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd has been fighting diaper changes for a long time and we just got the swaddlebees fitteds so we can snap them then just pull them on then pull on a wool cover so we can do diaper changes on the move. Its a lot easier than trying to have my very active dd lay still on her back which she hates.
lovebugsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

you need side snapping diapers, you can put them on while baby is on his tummy, berry plush are awesome.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote