Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Question Gassy when started on cereal

My DD who is now 5.5 months(was exclusively breastfed), has been very interested in the foods we eat so a few days ago I mixed up some cereal (Beechnut Rice Cereal) for her while we had dinner. That night, she slept awful, up every hour and a half and had A TON of gas! I gave her the cereal at dinnertime for just 2 nights and both nights were the same story. So today I thought I would give her some cereal at lunchtime so it wasn't interfering with her sleep. Again, she was very gassy all day long shortly after having it. Is this normal? Is it just her body getting used to the cereal??? Does anyone have any suggestions or advice or ideas? Is there any other type of cereal that is easier on the digestive system? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Gassy when started on cereal

No real advice here but My ds hates rice cereal so we all around skipped it. It doesn't offer any real nutritional value so we decided it was best!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

What did you give him first? Im not really giving her food for the nutritional value. Breast is best for that! She is at a good weight and seems healthy. I was just attempting to fill her up a little more at night so maybe she would sleep more then 3 hours at a pop! lol Thanks momma!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

That happened with my dd too when she ate cereal. We just fed her beginner fruits for the first month or so and then tried the cereal again and she was able to handle it better!
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: Gassy when started on cereal

My 5.5 Month old was the same with wanting food when we did. I use organic oats and rice cereal. I was using the rice organic and he was gassy, but the mixed one is better for him! He has been on the cereal for the past month, he was 20lbs 4.5months and we felt he was ready He now sleeps through the night! We also started some baby food all homemade at supper with us, then a little cereal before bed. Works for us

I just wanted to add he is on the boob every 2-3hrs during the day, so the foods didnt really slow down the nursing.

Blessings
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Well my ds is almost 7 months and still breastfed 95% of the time. He hates cereal and will spit it right back out! I decided it wasn't worth it to me and he has tried pureed veggies! He still doesn't even eat them daily. He is real interested in what we are eating, but still not real interested in eating it himself. I am not going to force the issue either!

BTW I didn't introduce until 6 months and sleeping has never been an issue here. He sleeps all night since 6 weeks!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi there.. I just wanted to second the fact that they really dont need the cereal and if you'd like a list of other first foods see the links below Additionally, may I say if you're not worries about cereals laxk nurtition, why even give it? Solid foods by definition are nutritionally inferior to breastmilk (as you said, breast is best). And even a little solids will replace a feeding of breastmilk (or formula). They don't need the foods right now anyhow... (oh and here abdominal distress is a good sign shes not doing well with the cereal- just skip it. Heres a quote from one of the pages I linked to:

Quote:
If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.).
anyhoo here's some links

Good Luck

Delaying Solids

Starting solids

First Foods

is baby ready?

Last edited by moonphishers; 12-14-2006 at 09:26 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Rice is the most difficult of the grains to digest. Perhaps try barley or oats first.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn'sMomma View Post
I was just attempting to fill her up a little more at night so maybe she would sleep more then 3 hours at a pop! lol Thanks momma!!!
That doesn't really work. My 18 month old won't even sleep 3 hours LOL
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all of your advice mommas!!! I'm thinking Im gonna wait another month or so and try a different grain. I was wondering if maybe she just wasnt ready yet and now Im thinking that could be it!