Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

general questions about selling diaper experience

Its taken me forever to get around to ever listing anything for sale so for some of the diapers I'm selling its probably been a year since I actually bought them. I listed some last week and other than the Motherease ones that apparently are a hot commodity (and gone) the response has been minimal.
So my questions are: 1. With the economy the way it is - are people asking alot less than what stuff would have sold for a year ago (I was thinking if I paid $10 for something and used it once a week for 6mo it should sell for about 6 or 7 now assuming it was still functional) Or if it was 10 then and I never used it - it would still be about 10 now especially since postage is now more- Does that sound logical?
2. How long does it usually take stuff to sell - when I was buying it seemed like stuff got gone before I could even ask to buy it but on the selling end it doesn't seem like that.
3. And probably the biggest question - BUMPING!!!!! - Do I have to do this? It says that I can do it up to every 12 hours but I don't want to have to do that. Won't people find stuff by searching for a brand and still find my post? Would bumping once a week be enough? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: general questions about selling diaper experience

I haven't sold (yet - I have some NIP fitteds that need to be sold...) but from a buyers perspective:
1 - depends on what it is and how badly it's sought after.
2 - I see stuff hanging around for quite a while in some cases...again I think it depends on what you have, how competitive your prices are relative to similar/same items currently on FSOT, and the condition of the diaper
3 - I do a lot of "surfing", not necessarily "searching." So, if your post is old, I likely won't come across it unless I'm really board! Bumping keeps your posting "fresh"
Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
rin-rin
Registered Users

My Mood:

good questions, i cant wait to hear the answer as i have a few that need to be sold
rin-rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been doing quite a bit of selling/buying and FSOT IS in general slower that it was a year ago! Then i could buy something and if it didn't work out pretty much get my money back--now not so much- things sell if they are a high demend item--but in my opinion they have to be reasonably priced- even high demand items really don't go for what they used to. I generally sell within a day or 2--but i also price my for sell items well so they move.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
PipersMomma
waiting on repsonse to FSOT issue! Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if you need help as well!

My Mood:

ive had a pocket on here forever, it was barely used so yes i think fsot is slow... and if its not the IN thing right now then it doesnt go very fast. My Crankies sold in like a matter of hours, as well as most of my Goodmamas, but some other stuff is taking a while. I def. reccommend bumping every 12 hrs, or once a day whatever. I dont ever look at posts past the 2nd page... and rarely do i search. Most of the time i just surf the first 2 pages to see if the title "grabs" me, and if not then i dont even look. just depends.
PipersMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I guess thats part of my problem - I thought I shopped wisely (other than the emotional choices-haha) so now I'm a little suprized that selling isn't easier. I don't know what to price at other than my buying experience. I hate to invest the time to search for other peoples selling prices for every diaper I have to get rid of. Not to mention how would you sell a diaper for less that about $3 when postage is $2? Any creative ways to sell multiple diapers that people like. I am willing to take less for each if I could get rid of a bunch together. How about saying that the first 4 are full price and everything after that is half? Or is that too many to buy at once for someone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
I've been doing quite a bit of selling/buying and FSOT IS in general slower that it was a year ago! Then i could buy something and if it didn't work out pretty much get my money back--now not so much- things sell if they are a high demend item--but in my opinion they have to be reasonably priced- even high demand items really don't go for what they used to. I generally sell within a day or 2--but i also price my for sell items well so they move.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
PipersMomma
waiting on repsonse to FSOT issue! Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if you need help as well!

My Mood:

i usually do $1 off ea. item after you buy one.... sometimes i do more. I had a lot of gms that i sold for say around 20 a pc. but if let say you wanted 5 i took 2 off ea. one so instead of 100 it was 90, but usually the less expensive things, like say 7-10 a pc i do if you buy more than 1 take $1 off for each additional.
PipersMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
mammaof3lovelys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am more likely to buy multiple diapers if i get a discount for multiple dipes in a single purchase. say $1 off each additional diaper after 1st diaper if purchased at same time. I know single prices should be higher because of individual shipping, but shipping two at the same is cheaper that shipping 2 seperate because you are using one package not two. (that makes sense in my head anyway hope it does yours too).
and i only browse the 1st maybe 2nd page too if i am bored. I am not searching for diapers, but if i find a good deal i might buy something. so i say bumping is worth it. maybe once a day? hth

Like my avatar? Lil' Munchkies made them!
mammaof3lovelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancnfool View Post
I guess thats part of my problem - I thought I shopped wisely (other than the emotional choices-haha) so now I'm a little suprized that selling isn't easier. I don't know what to price at other than my buying experience. I hate to invest the time to search for other peoples selling prices for every diaper I have to get rid of. Not to mention how would you sell a diaper for less that about $3 when postage is $2? Any creative ways to sell multiple diapers that people like. I am willing to take less for each if I could get rid of a bunch together. How about saying that the first 4 are full price and everything after that is half? Or is that too many to buy at once for someone?
I do the first diaper full price and then $1 off each additional one too-- OR if i want to sell multiple to save on the amount of packages i'll just put--take 2..or 3..for X amount- or take the lot for this amount--especially for cheaper items or not so sought after things sometimes its just worth it to sell cheaper in lots then go thru the hassle of selling individually- and IMO you save on shipping costs that way too--if its something readily available then i'd say your doing good if you end up with 1/2 your buying price back-- like say you bought a $10 diaper then also paid 2-3 shipping for it-- if you can get $7 or $8 ppd for it--that is pretty average-- just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't generally buy unless it's at a substantial savings... especially since lots of stores have free shipping these days. So if it'll cost me $1-$2 more to buy new, then a used diaper just doesn't make sense..

just my two cents
aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote