Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
mrsrlgs12
Registered Users

She is going to be a year, now what? Sad and confused

My DD is going to be a year old on Thursday. We have been EBF up until tonight. She had some avocado and loved it. I don't know what to do now/what to expect. How do I go about feeding her now? Will I still get to have our nursing relationship? Will that stop with more solids intros? How often should I feed her solids to start? Do I need to give her purees even though she will be one and has 8 teeth? (My SIL told my DH this) I am so sad and a little lost. I can't believe my baby is already a year old.

Advertisement

mrsrlgs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: She is going to be a year, now what? Sad and confused

I thought it was going to be a major change too--luckily it's gradual!! Thank goodness. It is giving me some time to get used to it.

We're been feeding our little guy pureed foods once a day for about a month and we've just moved up to twice a day. He still BFs just as much as he did before, IMO, so that's nice. And from what I understand, you can BF them before OR after the baby food and they'll still eat the same amount. They're so smart.
Good luck!!!
Marbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

What a cutie! I would just start with simple foods. Small chunks of banana, nice soft sweet potato, peas. I would be more inclined to give her something she can work around in her mouth a bit over pureed. Also, maybe look for the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. I had such a hard time when my first started solids and loved them. I felt like he didn't need me so much anymore. Making his food made me feel much better than giving him store bought.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

You dont have to give up BFing. I BF Cameron until she was 2 at least 3-4 times a day. I would BF her after she got up in the morning, and then a couple of hours later she would eat breakfast with the family, usually a little fruit. I would BF her before her nap and then she would eat lunch (bread with something like homemade jam or cheese) after her nap, mid afternoon she might want to nurse but just a little. and then she would eat dinner with us (usually the same as us just chopped up). I found that she liked it more if it had texture rather than puree. Then before bed she woulf BF aghain and that was it until morning.

That method worked for us for a full year and she was fine with it, if she was sick I could nurse her more and feed her less which her doctor loved
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Calm down mama! My daughter got solids sooner and at 39 months is STILL breastfeeding! And she definitely loves to nurse so solids do not take away from that if the little one is for nursing. Just go at her pace and understand that she doesn't need much in the way of solids, she won't be eating a huge amount, just a tablespoon full at a time for now. Basically, give her a little bit of what you and your DH eats, minus the seasonings and she'll figure it out on her own!

Oh, I will mention one thing, babies that are EBF typically are not real big meat eaters. I'm not sure why this is but it's pretty common. I learned that from my LLL meetings too. So don't panic too much if she's not too into meat, just make sure to get some protein in through eggs or beans. My daughter, again, over three and is still not real big on meat. She'll eat it SOMETIMES but it's pretty rare.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

That is interesting. My oldest that BF till only 9 months (her decision) hates meat and my my middle child that BF till 18 month loves meat. My youngest that BF till 2 years old also loves meat, she happily tucks into pork, chicken and mincemeat.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Danika
Registered Users

*hugs* I know how you feel!!! My dd will be one on Saturday. I do give her 2 meals a day at least. I personally think she still relies on me for a lot of her nutrition. At this point.. I think I'm just going to continue things how they are. She nurses a bunch at home. I also noticed that when we are out and about .. say all day.. she will not nurse much.

My dd also has 8 teeth now. i finally got up the nerve to give her big pieces lol. She does pretty good. I would try and give your dd something for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She may or may not be great for all three meals. My dd isn't a big fan of breakfast. Dinner is her biggest intake of food.. she eats best then.
Danika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Mama Bear X3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would definately skip the purees and go with whatever you're having within reason. you'll want to go slow and not give nay foods high on the allergy list or easy to choke on, but chumks of soft easy to mush fruits and veggies and such are great (no grapes- BIG choking hazard).

great job mama!
Mama Bear X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't have to be a major change, and you definitely don't have to give up your nursing relationship. My 2 1/2 year old is still nursing! (not much, but still nursing)

We just offered him small amounts of solids(cut up fruits, veggies, meat, cheese, crackers) at meal times, and let him decide how much to feed to himself. And I continued to nurse on demand.

Worked fabulously!
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!! We started solids much earlier and dd2 is still BFing a lot every day and overnight at 18 months. After a few purees she switched to easy table food (rice, noodle bits, squishy veggies, squishy fruits, etc) with no issues.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote