Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Becky32982
Registered Users

My Mood:
Biscuits and Gravy?

I need some help! I need a good recipe for biscuits and gravy. My husband has been craving it and I have never made it. I would like to make the biscuits from scratch in my bread maker too, so include that recipe if you have it too.

Thanks so much!! I am sure one you fabulous Southern ladies have an amazing recipe!!! I wish I could cook southern traditional food like that!

Advertisement

I love Swagbucks!!! I earn free giftcards just by searching the web. SWAGBUCKS
Becky32982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Biscuits and Gravy?

Ok, here is a good biscuit recipe. It's based off of a Betty Crocker recipe, but some changes have been made to it to make it even better!!

1/2 cup shortening
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of sugar
3 teaspons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4cup-1cup of butter milk or sour milk (if you don't have butter milk, just add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk, let set for about 15 minutes and then use it...works great in a pinch!).

Heat oven to 450
mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cut shortening into the flour mixture (if you don't have a pastry mixer, use two knives, criss crossing them) until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.

Stir in the milk (start with 3 /4 cup) mix until dough leaves the side of the bowel. The dough should be soft and sticky.

Turn dough onto lightly flourd surface. Knead lightly ten times. (I have found this works best if you turn the dough onto lightly flourd wax paper. Use the sides of the wax paper to knead the dough, instead of your bare hands. The less you handle the dough, the fluffier your biscuits will be).

NOTE: I have not done this in my bread maker. My bread maker says to add liquids first, then fats, then dry ingredients. So pour your milk directly in your bread maker, then add the vinegar you're doing the sour milk. I'd use the full cup. I usually need the full cup anyway! I would add your shortening in chunks, so that it's not one big lump. This will help your bread maker evenly distribute it throughout your dough. I would still mix the dry ingredients all together first, then pour into the bread maker. Then set your bread maker on dough cycle to mix it up. You're dough cycle includes a time for rising, so just after it finishes it's mixing part, I'd take your dough out, then proceed to the next steps.

Roll dough until it's roughly 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured round cutter that is 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet or pizza stone. If you want the sides crusty, placea bout an inch apart. For softer sides, place the biscuits so that they are touching... (I was watching a cooking show and learned that if you have the biscuits touching, that they will cook more evenly).

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet immediately.

I really like hamburger or sausage gravy.

My mom's father used to call this "Post Gravy." He said you could throw it on a post and it would stick. LOL. But that's the way our family likes it!!!

Cook your meat, when you drain the fat, pour most of it into a cup. Set your meat aside.

Pour meat drippings into a bowl, leaving the brown pieces in the pan. Put 2 Tablespoons of the meat fat into the pan.

Stir 2 Tablespoons of flour into the meat drippings in the pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Gradually stir in 1 cup of milk. Heat to boiling while stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. If desired, you can stir in a few drops of browning liquid. (I don't use browning liquid and love the gravy without it). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. If the gravy is thicker than you like, you can stir in water or milk 1 Tablespoon at a time to thin it down a bit.

Stir your hamburger meat or sausage into the gravy and serve over warm split biscuits!!!

Enjoy mama!

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 04-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Mom24Babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Evaporated milk and water makes AWESOME gravy!
I'm a consultant for The All Natural Face! Enter Consultant # 2107
Mom24Babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
k_tweet99
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mmmm Michelle. That's sounds good and fattening!

http://hyenacart.com/Knittedkreations
k_tweet99 is offline   Reply With Quote