Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Good bread recipe?

Can someone give me a good bread recipe? I really like the one I've been using, but it only calls for 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour to 2 1/2 cups of white flour, and I'd like more whole wheat.

I want to mix it in my bread machine, and let it do it's first rise in the bread machine, but then put it into loaf pans to bake. DH doesn't like the size of bread machine bread. LOL

Can I just use 2 cups of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat? Or will that mess up the recipe?

Thanks
God bless,
Michelle

PS I also have corn meal, and rye flour, so I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Advertisement

__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Heyheybaby83's Avatar
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Good bread recipe?

I have a recipe that calls for 1/2 APF and 1/2 whole wheat flour that I'll probably try tomorrow. If all goes well, I can let you know (if I can manage to make bread and take care of a 2 month old and my other 3 kids!) The recipe if from the book The Wooden Spoon Bread Book: The Secrets of Successful Baking. I attached the recipe for you to check out. Oh, and the wheat-bread flour mixture is just equal parts of whole wheat flour and APF or bread flour (ex: 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup APF.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honey wheat bread.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	26993  
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
velcromom's Avatar
velcromom
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: N. Ca Sierra Nevada
Posts: 529
Re: Good bread recipe?

I love this one - http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...sty-Bread.aspx

I think you can just play with the proportions but be aware that whole wheat absorbs more water than white flour so you may need more than the recipe says - I go more by whether the dough feels right/looks right instead of by measuring.
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
ecrawfor80's Avatar
ecrawfor80
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 872
My Mood:
Re: Good bread recipe?

I mess around with the whole wheat flour to white flour ratio a lot. Sometimes I use ALL whole wheat and it is fine. However, I do need to add vital wheat gluten to it (how much to add is on the side of the vital wheat gluten box). Most of the time, however, I just use 2 cups wheat and 1 cup white and it's fine. no gluten needed.
If you want my actual recipie i'd be glad to give it to you. I use a bread machine.

How do you take it out and finish cooking it in the oven?? I don't like the short and very high shape of the bread machine bread either.
__________________
Elizabeth-Wife to my navy man Dan, Homeschooling, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, raw milk drinking, non-vaxing, no TV, co-sleeping mama to six beautiful blessings. (I didn't know I was crunchy until I wrote this siggy)
ecrawfor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
~Cricket~'s Avatar
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 862
My Mood:
Re: Good bread recipe?

Here's the one I'm using and loving right now. I do it by hand, not in the machine. It's not a huge recipe, so kneading by hand it pretty manageable. Makes 3 loaves.

3 cups warm water
2 Tbsp yeast (regular)
1/3 cup honey
3 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour.

Stir that together and let it rise for about 1/2 hour, or so.

Add in:
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup honey (you can do less, if you like.)
3 Tbsp melted butter
2 cups whole wheat flour

Mix as best you can in the bowl, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until it's pulling away from the counter, but still slightly sticky to touch. This may take more flour, depending on the type you're using, the humidity, etc.

When kneaded, place into a greased bowl and cover and let rise until doubled.
Punch down, divide into three loaves and place in greased loaf pans. (medium sized). Cover and let rise. When the loaves have risen to about 1 inch above the edge of the pan, bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 min.

The ratio of whole wheat to white flour is a bit flexible - I have varied it by one cup either way with good results. My family loves this bread!
~Cricket~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Heyheybaby83's Avatar
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 273
Re: Good bread recipe?

The recipe that I posted about above turned out really well. I think I needed to knead it a little longer to make it a little less dense, but all-in-all, a good recipe. I hope you find a recipe that works for you!
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Good bread recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrawfor80 View Post
I mess around with the whole wheat flour to white flour ratio a lot. Sometimes I use ALL whole wheat and it is fine. However, I do need to add vital wheat gluten to it (how much to add is on the side of the vital wheat gluten box). Most of the time, however, I just use 2 cups wheat and 1 cup white and it's fine. no gluten needed.
If you want my actual recipie i'd be glad to give it to you. I use a bread machine.

How do you take it out and finish cooking it in the oven?? I don't like the short and very high shape of the bread machine bread either.
I let the bread machine mix the dough. Then let it rise. Then when it's done with the first rise and starts to knead again, my DH took it out of the bread machine, and just put it into a loaf pan. He patted it down a bit to make it fill the pan, then let it rise for about an hour. Then he put it in the oven at about 350. He set the kitchen timer for 25 minutes, and at 20 minutes just checked it every few minutes until the crust was a nice golden brown color!

I'm going to do this recipe again when we are both home, so I can see EXACTLY when he took it out of the bread machine and how long specifically it baked for.

I told him that I wanted to cook it in the loaf pan in the oven, so he basically just did some guestimating since I wasn't home to do it. It turned out REALLLY nice, and the texture was even better than in the bread machine.

I wanted to bake in the oven for 2 reasons. 1. DH doesn't like the size and shape of bread machine bread, he prefers the more "standard" size of a loaf, like what you buy at the store. and 2. For some reason, whenever this bread would rise, as it baked, the top would cave in, so I would wind up with half a loaf, because there was a huge air bubble. I thought that maybe it was too heavy to hold it's shape, and thought a standard loaf pan would be better.

Thanks for the tip, I think next time I make bread, I'll just use 2 cups of wheat and 1 cup of white, and see how it goes.

Do I need to add extra baking soda and extra salt to help hold up the dough when it rises? Since wheat flour is havier than white?

Thanks
God bless,
Michelle
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Good bread recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
Here's the one I'm using and loving right now. I do it by hand, not in the machine. It's not a huge recipe, so kneading by hand it pretty manageable. Makes 3 loaves.

3 cups warm water
2 Tbsp yeast (regular)
1/3 cup honey
3 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour.

Stir that together and let it rise for about 1/2 hour, or so.

Add in:
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup honey (you can do less, if you like.)
3 Tbsp melted butter
2 cups whole wheat flour

Mix as best you can in the bowl, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until it's pulling away from the counter, but still slightly sticky to touch. This may take more flour, depending on the type you're using, the humidity, etc.

When kneaded, place into a greased bowl and cover and let rise until doubled.
Punch down, divide into three loaves and place in greased loaf pans. (medium sized). Cover and let rise. When the loaves have risen to about 1 inch above the edge of the pan, bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 min.

The ratio of whole wheat to white flour is a bit flexible - I have varied it by one cup either way with good results. My family loves this bread!
Thanks, I'll give this a try my next day off!

God bless,
Michelle
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Good bread recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyheybaby83 View Post
The recipe that I posted about above turned out really well. I think I needed to knead it a little longer to make it a little less dense, but all-in-all, a good recipe. I hope you find a recipe that works for you!
Thanks so much, I'll give it a try!!

God bless,
Michelle
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
sonshinemama's Avatar
sonshinemama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Getting closer to peace.
Posts: 1,682
Re: Good bread recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
Here's the one I'm using and loving right now. I do it by hand, not in the machine. It's not a huge recipe, so kneading by hand it pretty manageable. Makes 3 loaves.

3 cups warm water
2 Tbsp yeast (regular)
1/3 cup honey
3 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour.

Stir that together and let it rise for about 1/2 hour, or so.

Add in:
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup honey (you can do less, if you like.)
3 Tbsp melted butter
2 cups whole wheat flour

Mix as best you can in the bowl, then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until it's pulling away from the counter, but still slightly sticky to touch. This may take more flour, depending on the type you're using, the humidity, etc.

When kneaded, place into a greased bowl and cover and let rise until doubled.
Punch down, divide into three loaves and place in greased loaf pans. (medium sized). Cover and let rise. When the loaves have risen to about 1 inch above the edge of the pan, bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 min.

The ratio of whole wheat to white flour is a bit flexible - I have varied it by one cup either way with good results. My family loves this bread!
This looks good. I want to try this after next pay (when I can get some wheat flour and more honey).

Thanks!
__________________
Nicole, Mama to my 3 boys.

Swagbucks - Let's earn together!
sonshinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.