Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Extended swaddling

I was just wondering..dd3 is now 4 months old and likes to be swaddled still. I'm fine with that because it makes her happy and I believe it helps her to sleep longer.
So, my questions are...
How old was your lo when you stopped swaddling them?
How did you know when they were ready to sleep w/o swaddling?
And, what did you use the swaddle an older baby? (I'm currently using a miracle blanket, but she getting so long I have to leave her legs out of the bottom pouch.)

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

Re: Extended swaddling

my good friend still swaddles her 6 month old, if she doesn't she won't sleep more than 20 minutes! We joke about her being swaddled as a preschooler
Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace View Post
I was just wondering..dd3 is now 4 months old and likes to be swaddled still. I'm fine with that because it makes her happy and I believe it helps her to sleep longer.
So, my questions are...
How old was your lo when you stopped swaddling them?
How did you know when they were ready to sleep w/o swaddling?
And, what did you use the swaddle an older baby? (I'm currently using a miracle blanket, but she getting so long I have to leave her legs out of the bottom pouch.)
our babies are exactly the same age.. I JUST bought a miracle blanket.. I got it REALLY cheap, so not a big deal if he outgrows it in 2 seconds, being at 4 months old he shouldn't really be swaddled anymore anyway. lol

But yes, he's still swaddled, not the feet though. he still startles awake, so i have to "tie his arms down" or he won't sleep longer than 10 minutes. lol

I haven't a clue when I'll stop. this is new to me, as miranda thought me holding her was too confining. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

I just stopped swaddling my DD about 2 weeks ago, she was not quite 8 months. We tried a few times before that but she just wouldn't settle down so we kept doing it! We swaddled using a waffle-weave blanket from the beginning, with a flannel receiving blanket for the arms on the inside. The waffle is nice and stretchy. By the end we were just swaddling her arms.

Honestly, we only stopped because DH, DS, and I all ended up with the flu and I didn't wash the swaddling blankets, LOL!! Now we're using a Halo sleep sack and we put her arms inside. She can still move them around and sometimes works her arms out the holes but it's snug enough that she's comfortable. I don't know how long we'll do this, but it seems to be working for now.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My God son is 7 Months and STILL swadles. It seems to be one of the only ways to comfort him and his Collic. His mama uses a Minkee Crib Blanket. Works like a Charm for him
Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son was maybe 8 mo or so. he slept sooooo well like that. i used the swaddle-me (or somthing like that)
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS#2 was the only one who likes swaddling... but he would only sleep tightly swaddled until he was 10 months old
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
gil
Registered Users

We stopped swaddling VERY gradually with DS. He really needed it to sleep. We were still wrapping him (not tucked in) 'till he was 18months old. We just used a larger baby blanket that had a little weight to it so it held the shape. We started by letting him sleep with one arm out and see how he did that way. If that worked, then two arms, then untucking his feet. He stayed like that 'till about 18months old.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Baliezer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_jeanie View Post
I just stopped swaddling my DD about 2 weeks ago, she was not quite 8 months. We tried a few times before that but she just wouldn't settle down so we kept doing it! We swaddled using a waffle-weave blanket from the beginning, with a flannel receiving blanket for the arms on the inside. The waffle is nice and stretchy. By the end we were just swaddling her arms.

Honestly, we only stopped because DH, DS, and I all ended up with the flu and I didn't wash the swaddling blankets, LOL!! Now we're using a Halo sleep sack and we put her arms inside. She can still move them around and sometimes works her arms out the holes but it's snug enough that she's comfortable. I don't know how long we'll do this, but it seems to be working for now.
That is a great idea! DD is 4 1/2 months now and grew out of the newborn halo swaddler a long time ago. I just keep stuffing her in hoping one day soon they will make a larger size. I will try the halo sleep sack with her arms stuffed in and see if it works.
Baliezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

#1ds was fully body swaddled time he was 10mos and then would only got to sleep if you tight tucked him in till be was 2years old

#2ds preference was the halo sack....now at just shy of 21mos we got him a small child sized sleeping bag at is very close to the halo sack feel
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote