Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
kimpo76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended swaddling

Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace View Post
How old was your lo when you stopped swaddling them? My DD1 was 5 months when she became too "flippy" to swaddle safely. I don't remember ever transitioning her, it was just obvious she didn't need it anymore. My twins are 6 months and DS still needs to be swaddled to fall asleep (although quickly breaks free and stays asleep) and DD2 won't sleep more than 15 minutes without it. I don't see an end anytime soon.
How did you know when they were ready to sleep w/o swaddling? Constantly rolling onto belly, even while swaddled...that, and when it stopped calming her down enough to sleep, then we knew.
And, what did you use the swaddle an older baby? (I'm currently using a miracle blanket, but she getting so long I have to leave her legs out of the bottom pouch.) I actually created an arms-only swaddle that I use for them that should fit them for a while longer. I may make a few and try testing them out if you're interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
That is a great idea! DD is 4 1/2 months now and grew out of the newborn halo swaddler a long time ago. I just keep stuffing her in hoping one day soon they will make a larger size. I will try the halo sleep sack with her arms stuffed in and see if it works.
They make the Halo sleep sack in microfleece in size Small now (Google it, I found it at babyage.com). It fits my 18 lbs. 6 month old son nicely, with room to grow....but it's a little too warm for April in SoCal!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
trippsmom
Registered Users
seller

Location: Little Rock, but my heart is still in Greenville, AL
My Mood:

Ds will only go down for a nap at MDO if he is swaddled to a degree. If they don't he won't go down, but will as soon as they give in and do it. I have to send waffle knit blankets since they stretch.
Rachel- CPST - wife to Lester and blessed to be the cd-ing, bw-ing, delay/selective vaxing and extended r****** and b****** pt-SAHM to my little man Tripp 12/22/07 And Aubrey Elisabeth 11/20/2009 My all natural drug-free hospital birth!
Riding in 2 Radian XTSL's, a Coccoro and True Fit Premier
trippsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
taralee2001
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD is almost 10 months old and still swaddled. I use a large receiving blanket that someone gave me. She just sleeps so much better (meaning that she actually sleeps!) when she's swaddled. If she isn't then she starts rubbing her face with her hands and wakes herself up. I'm hoping she outgrows that someday but I've noticed DH rubs his face with his hands when he's sleeping.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #24
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My daughter is still swaddled. It's the only way she can sleep and she will be 15 weeks tomorrow.

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Oh, I also use the swaddle me blanket.

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #26
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpo76 View Post
They make the Halo sleep sack in microfleece in size Small now (Google it, I found it at babyage.com). It fits my 18 lbs. 6 month old son nicely, with room to grow....but it's a little too warm for April in SoCal!
Let me know if you decide to make any. I would need a light weight fabric since we live in Fl and her miracle blanket is getting a tad too warm.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #27
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both DD's hated being swaddles past 1 month. They threw giant fits and wanted their arms free to fling up over their head while they slept. lol I did a modified swaddle and left their arms out but it just didn't work the same.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #28
gil
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabel249 View Post
my daughter is 20.5 months and still swaddled for all naps and bedtime. We have always wrapped her in blankets- no products like the Swaddle Me or anything like that.

We cannot get her to sleep without it... I really don't know what to do. I'm hoping she eventually goes to sleep without being wrapped like a burrito! lol

I just had another baby girl and she seems to like being swaddled too.
As a mom of another who wanted to be swaddled forever, they do grow out of it. What I started doing was just doing it looser and looser. Eventually he stopped needing it but we did it very gradually.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

6 months and then we weaned off gradually
Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #30
Pregosaurus
Registered Users

Thank you all so much! DS mamas have saved me once again. I was starting to be concerned that my 6 mo DD won't sleep unless swaddled, so good to know I'm not the only one. We like the swaddle me blankets, but can make do with a waffle weave in a pinch.
Pregosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote