Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UGH UTI and what a fun night!!!!

So I noticed last weekend that DD (3.5) had been grabbing her girl parts and had a couple of accidents before she was able to get to the bathroom, I asked her time and time again if she was OK and if it hurt when she pee'd and she would say "No". Come Monday, I asked her again and she said "Yes pee hurt" if I asked her, but she would never complain about it (the girl has a freakishly high pain tollerance and doesn't complain about a thing unless she see's it - like a scratch or bruise). So called the pedi, got in 1st thing Tuesday morning and they confirmed UTI and started her on amoxicillian (or however that is spelled) twice a day, also the pedi wrote her another allergy med because Zyrtec and Singular were just not cutting it and she had that "allergy haze" her pedi noticed when looking her over.

So today, we go over to a friends house to visit (DH was also checking out their car to see if the alt. had failed or not) and for DD and their DS to play and to see their adorable 2 week old DD (again ). We get there and DD doesn't want to play at all, and while we were there she spiked a fever (of course I feel horriable possiably bringing something in that could get a newborn sick, not knowing if she had a virus or what ).

We left after DH checked out their car and I told him that I want to take her into the children's hospital urgent care center, because I have a feeling that it's UTI related and if the antibiotics that were given to her weren't working, it's just going to get worse. He agrees and off we go (after having to stop home and get her medical bag because her insurance papers were in there, apparently she gotten into my bag and pulled hers out while DH was suppose to be watching her while I caught a nap today, so we see how much supervision happened today at the house).

We get there, get checked in and oh great, 8 min. apart contractions start up(I'm 39 weeks pregnant). The poor nurses there were a little freaked out but I kept assuring them that if I am in labor (which I wasn't) that we weren't going to deliever here (or in any hospital) and they need to stop worrying because I've been having contractions like this since early on and they just weren't the ones. They hand me a cup to have DD pee in (finally after getting back there), which was oh so fun to try to catch the pee of a 3.5 year old because well she had no idea what the cup was for and how to pee in one, the doc on call checks her out, no ear infections, everything else looks good (she at this point was running 103 fever). They test the urine and the UTI is still there, so they write her a script for a stronger antibiotic (Omnicef) and send us on our way (which we'll follow up with her pedi on Tuesday at our pending appt. that we set last week to make sure her UTI was gone).

We leave, go across the street to the 24 hour pharmacy to get it filled, it's going to be a hour wait , so we decide (since they gave her some motrin at the Urgent Care Center and was feeling a lot better) to go ahead and get something to eat, it was now 9-9:30. I call my girlfriend to assure her that DD doesn't have a weird virus or anything, UTI still there (she said not to worry anyway about that because well we hung out all day yesterday together at the mall and she was right, anything mine or hers would have had, we would have already been exposed, but still, I felt bad about it) Go to eat, pick up the script, she falls back asleep in the truck on the way home, get home, give her a dose of the antibiotics and here we are.

Oh what a fun night, I will say though I'm glad the contractions did finally stop after we left the urgent care center, I am exhausted just from doing that and my baby girl feels horriable and DH is just plain worn out. Tonight would have not been the night to deliever this little man, I think he knew that, but still was making sure I paid attention to him while she was getting looked at by the oh so fun, this hurts, walk and breath through it contractions the sibling riverly has already begun and he's not even here yet....

Advertisement

Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
nktigger99
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: UGH UTI and what a fun night!!!!

I am sorry it was a long night!!!!

Our foster daughter had a very bad UTI once also. She was 5 at the time. She never would say if it hurt her to go the bathroom either. She spiked a very high fever at after school care while I was at work so had to RUN to pick up her and her two brother's from daycare. I called my DH then boyfriend so he could come home from work to take her to the ER because I wasn't on the medical paperwork yet so I couldn't take her to the ER myself. He had to take her and get her to pee in a cup...poor guy. Her temp spiked at 103.9 it was pretty scary. She is very prone to UTI for some reason but so are her brother's.

I hope she feels better soon and your new little one holds off coming for a little bit so you can recover. Don't you just love those contractions...I am only 28 weeks and am having some real contractions that I am on meds for...so much fun!!!
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
j_a_a_zavala
Registered Users

My dd also get uti's. She started at 9 months old. I know the signs for her now but she never gets a fever. They are so painful and I am sorry your LO isn't feeling well. My dd was responding to her med's once and I had to give her shots in her tushie wile we were in Mexico. Good thing that it was not the night for the new LO to come. I am 35weeks and I had to take my dd to the er 2 times 2 weeks ago for 2 different things, and one of the times they sent us to children's hospital and that was really scary. I hope she is feeling better soon.
j_a_a_zavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, she is doing a little better as far as the fever goes today (not as high). Hopefully this new round of antibiotics will do it for her, we'll find out soon enough.

Yeah the darn contractions started with me at 25 weeks, by 28 weeks, I was on bedrest for them (and effacement and dialation, etc...) doing natural progestron cream 2 times a day to keep my uterus relaxed, so when I hit 37 weeks and was able to get up, it was nice, we all thought that he would drop out that week, now he's camping out and won't come out (39 weeks yesterday).
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote