Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:
CIO at 6 months?

I am trying to get DS to sleep in his crib at least during the day. DH has been sleeping on a matress on the floor or the couch since DS was born, he wants to sleep in his bed and won't if DS is there b/c he's scared. Plus DS is starting to crawl and I'm scared he'll crawl right off the bed (he almost rolled off it earlier but I was laying down w/him so I got to him first).

I am trying as I type this to get DS to sleep in his crib. He's having a hard time getting to sleep, he's fighting it soooo bad! He does that.

Well, we're going back and forth from the bed to the crib I'm trying to get him to sleep. His diaper is clean and my boobs are drained so I know he's okay, but he's just CRYING in his crib if I lay him there.

He stops when I come in and just looks at me like "aren't you going to pick me up?" and when I leave the room he looks at me like "where are you going?"

Should I let a baby 6 months old CIO?

I know I'll get mixed answers here, so I'd like to hear both sides of the story. I didn't make DD CIO until she was 13 mos because she had bad ear infections and I couldn't do that not knowing whether she was in pain or really just was pulling my leg. Sooo, IDK. If he was 13 mos I guess I'd be ok with it but IDK how else to get him to sleep in his crib except to make him CIO

Advertisement

PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: CIO at 6 months?

you might do a CIO search. I know there have been numerous threads with tons of opinions and ideas on this topic. We did CIO with my dd at 5 months. I do NOT think this is the best idea for every child or every family but it worked for us. We had been co-sleeping and for various reasons, HAD to mover her to her own crib. We tried several options before CIO and each seemed to make the fussiness last longer and longer. Finally, we did CIO and after 3 nights, she went to sleep like an angel and has slept thru the night in her own room since then. She is a great sleeper now and I do not regret that decision at all although it was very hard to do it at the time. Again, not for everyone but it worked perfectly for us. Good luck!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's how it has always been with my DD, I let her CIO at 13 mos and she has been an AWESOME sleeper ever since! I've never had a problem with her, even if she was sick she'd still go to sleep by herself. That's how I want DS to be.

I didn't let him CIO today. Well, I let him cry for a min while I typed the post, but then it wasn't a regular "hold me" cry it was an "I'm in pain" cry so I went to get him... We layed down in my bed and he wouldn't really calm down so I had DD get his orajel and tylenol and gave him both and he was out within 5-10 mins!

I guess I'll just continue to do what my gut tells me. I waited for 13 mos for my DD to CIO and she's GREAT now!! I just feel bad for DH
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
mc_squared
Registered Users

One thing that worked really well for us was the Pick Up/Put Down technique by The Baby Whisperer. When DS was 5 mos we kind of hit a wall as far as sleeping went...he had always slept in his crib but I was nursing him to sleep and it started backfiring on us. I won't go into too much detail but needless to say he was acting a lot like your DS is!

I would recommend reading her book (I believe there are several) but the gist of it is that you do your normal bedtime routine, say goodnight, place baby in his crib and leave the room. Naturally, he will start crying, so you go in right away and try first to pat/rub him, speak to him, etc. If that doesn't work you pick him up and console him through his crying, making sure to put him right back down if he fights you. Once he stops crying, you put him right back down in his crib. Usually he will start crying again the second he is put down, but you complete the put down motion and then pick him right back up again. Eventually (it took us about 45 mins-1 hr the first few times) baby settles down and, once he stops crying and just moves onto making noise (she calls it a "mantra cry") you stay with him and pat/rub him until he falls asleep.

The PU/PD technique worked with us and we saw results the next day. It's better than CIO in my opinion since you are teaching baby to fall asleep on their own but you're not just leaving them to cry unconsoled. You are there to comfort them through their crying but you're still teaching them to put themselves to sleep. Eventually we got to the point where I could just use patting and words to put DS to sleep, and after less than a week I just had to put him in his crib and he put himself to sleep.

I know some people might be against using a technique like this since it might be seen as "letting" a baby cry since you're taking away the thing they need to fall asleep (whether it be nursing to sleep, sleeping in your bed, etc), but in our case we would have a screaming baby every night anyway who we couldn't console!
mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried the fereber method where you go in at 5, 10 and then 15 minutes to pat them and get them to calm back down, and then every 15 minutes after that until they are calm. This of course won't work for some families who's lo's just get angrier everytime their mom or dad leave again, which was the case for our kiddos. Sorry I don't have great advice for you. I know how hard sleep issues can be.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal527 View Post
Have you tried the fereber method where you go in at 5, 10 and then 15 minutes to pat them and get them to calm back down, and then every 15 minutes after that until they are calm. This of course won't work for some families who's lo's just get angrier everytime their mom or dad leave again, which was the case for our kiddos. Sorry I don't have great advice for you. I know how hard sleep issues can be.
I've tried that. Mine's one of the ones who just gets more TICKED every time lol, he won't calm down anyway half the time!

Once in a BLUE MOON (like 2 times so far) he'll fall asleep on his own.

ETA: That's (the ferber method, I just didn't know it was an actual "method" at the time) what I did with my DD and it worked like a CHARM!

Last edited by PatchworkPeddler; 04-18-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I'll try the PU/PD method next. Any more ideas in case that one doesn't work?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you know the difference between cries. With DD1 we did "wail-it-out" -- we let her cry out of boredom or anger, but not in pain or hysteria. We also made a big point of setting up nap and night routines and following them. Song, put her in the crib, read a long sing-songy book, left the book with her. The reading and time with us there also let her think of the crib as an okay place to be while awake (drowsy), which I think is a good thing.

Now with DD2 she turns hysterical instantly and cries herself hoarse....
Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my DH do the Ferber method till DS was asleep. Then when he woke up in the middle of the night I went in and fed him.

What helped me is I made sure he was completely fed (I breastfeed) then I set a time where he could be hungry (for me since DS went to bed at 8pm I put the time at 12 midnight). I wouldn't go in no matter what before that time.

Honestly with us it took just one night. Now that night was AWFUL but it did just take one night. He would cry a bit on the second night and from time to time even now but it is nothing like that first night and he knows that the crib is for rest unless I have the curtains open. My ds was 6 months old when we did this.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long is the crying? Honestly my LO 'cries' for anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes when he is tired. And I'm not talking a little fuss ... FULL BLOWN wailing. You would think he was dying. Then, he falls asleep. Truth be told I don't like to let my babes cry and will wear them in a sling and bounce, walk, whatever. But I've learned that there is just once or twice a day he *needs* to cry. If he'll cry and cry for an hour or longer, that's a problem. If you know everything is fine and you need a break (no flames) you can decide to only go in after X amount of time (5, 10, 15, 20 minutes for example). It's a bit of trial and error. Every babe is different.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote