Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What to eat with no dairy or gluten (and preferably no soy)??? Oh, and no meat....

The dd's can't have cow's milk or soy milk. They can tolerate cooked ingredients with dairy or soy but I prefer to avoid that when possible to not stress their systems. And I've been suspecting wheat/gluten as a problem for a while but I can't figure out what on earth to feed them when I try eliminating it Oh, and we're mostly vegetarian too. (We allow meat on specific days but otherwise eat vegetarian.) So... what's left, lol??

Advertisement

Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to eat with no dairy or gluten (and preferably no soy)??? Oh, and no meat...

sounds like the diet I am on.

I got some wheat/gluten free flour for baking.

eggs. chickpeas. beans. rice. potatos. fruits and veggies. there's still lots.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Koolio11
Registered Users

Re: What to eat with no dairy or gluten (and preferably no soy)??? Oh, and no meat...

DD is EXTREMELY allergic to both dairy and soy, has some allergy to strawberries and eggs and is both underweight and has a hard time swallowing due to tracheamalacia (soft wind pipe). So, let's just say, I've been extremely thankful that wheat/gluten in ok for her.
Really, all I can say is, find a great allergy-free cookbook and start with that. You will start to figure out how you can adapt other family favourites to their needs. It is hard- really hard. At least you know that coming in contact with the two big ones- dairy and soy- aren't going to be fatal. And, you never know, maybe they will outgrow it all too!
Koolio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
kal22
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do LOTS of smoothies! Hempseed, hemp milk, hemp oil, coconut milk, coconut oil, goodbelly (vegan probiotic drink), prune juice, carrot juice, spinach, bananas, blueberries....all this goes into them. My middle child relies on this for most of his nutrition. You can put lentils into just about anything (no I haven't tried them in the smoothies)...spaghetti sauce, rice etc etc.
kal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
c1sarena
Registered Users

Check out The Paleo Diet! And also the new coconut milk milk, yogurt and ice cream from here:
c1sarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to take my kids off dairy, soy, and all gluten for about 2 months because of severe eczema, and while it was tough and I was glad we didn't have to do it forever, it wasn't that bad.

We ate lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, made gluten-free bread in the bread machine, drank rice and almond milk (which we still do because my kids all prefer it over anything else), and read LOTS of labels. I found some crackers one day at Whole Foods that said on the front "Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free" and I started crying right there in the aisle. I had FINALLY found a snack that my kids could eat that I didn't have to make from scratch! I also found rice crackers, rice pasta, and several other things that made life easier.

I also found on amazon.com that they had a good variety of allergen-free foods that I could order for some variety in snacks and lunches. We also really like rice pudding for a snack. Oh, and my kids seem to all be self-proclaimed vegetarians, so meat is scarce around here.

After the 2 months I was able to slowly add foods back in, and after about a year we are back to a "normal" diet. I say "normal" because during that time my kids developed strong preferences to things that other people think is strange (like prefering rice milk to any other kind), but it works for us.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hey, that sounds like my diet! I'm vegan anyway, but DD's eczema cleared up beautifully when I went off soy and gluten. (She's still EBF.)

Some gluten free pasta is ok. You'll probably have to experiment with different brands to see which one(s) you like. I am eating a bowl right now of GF pasta with broccoli, olive oil, and artichoke hearts. Not bad.

I eat a lot of quinoa, also. It's high in protein and pretty tasty. You can use the flour for baking as well. There are actually a lot of alternatives for baking: almond flour, rice flour, garbanzo flour, etc. With some experimentation, you can make your own GF pizza crust (pizza doesn't need cheese to be tasty) and stuff like that.

We do smoothies, too. For that creamy texture that would normally be supplied by milk or soy products, I use coconut milk yogurt or almond milk.

Other favorites of mine:
hummus with veggies and corn or rice tortillas
vegetarian chili
split pea soup
salads
vegetable sushi
Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are awesome ideas, thanks ladies!!!! I will have to wait until payday as we used up all the food budget already, but I can now actually plan a couple weeks of meals to try out. We actually started doing smoothies again last week (fruit/juice with spinach and rice protein) but I will look up some with rice milk or coconut milk. Yum! And the quinoa and rice and gluten-free flour for sweet potato bread... mmmmm And hummus! I forgot, they are partially addicted to hummus
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pming you.
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
The dd's can't have cow's milk or soy milk. They can tolerate cooked ingredients with dairy or soy but I prefer to avoid that when possible to not stress their systems. And I've been suspecting wheat/gluten as a problem for a while but I can't figure out what on earth to feed them when I try eliminating it Oh, and we're mostly vegetarian too. (We allow meat on specific days but otherwise eat vegetarian.) So... what's left, lol??
there is a casein free/gluten free cook book on amazon that you can get:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...dp/0722538782#

http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/S...-Soy-Free.html

http://www.fastq.com/~jbpratt/recipe...ntol/main.html
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote