Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question has anyone tried to control ADD/ADHD with diet?

I was told by a nurologist that DD has ADHD. I DO NOT want to medicate. I do not believe meds are the answer to everything.

Have you tried/succeeded to control ADD with diet? What do you do? what worked and what didnt?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: has anyone tried to control ADD/ADHD with diet?

I have not but I have been thinking about trying this type of diet to see if it helps my (undiagnosed) son. Check these out: http://books.barnesandnoble.com/sear...=adhd+cookbook

I've been wanting to get some of these because my MIL can't have gluten so at least I have more options for when they are over.

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

My DH has Adult ADD. He seems to be worst when he has fatty foods. He did medicate for a few months (he tried adderall and a ritalyn based med) and found them to be too controlling and he hated all the side effects, so he stopped taking them. His psych. gave him some focus techniques too, it seems to be helping him concentrate at work.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
HEATHER78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ods has not been diagnosed but he is very hyper and we will not use med's.We ave started giving him fish oil's and that work's really well he has had great day's at school since and we also started to cut out as much hfcs as we can and sugar and processed food's.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son (2) was having severe behavior issues and I have since cut out all sugars and it has been a total 360 with him! I printed the ADHD diet and glanced over it and that was how I went about the sugar thing. I absolutely rec. it!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We aren't diagnosed either. DSS is super-distractable and constantly talking without paying much attention to what he's saying or the response he's given. We also started doing fish oil (he decided after one that he hates the taste, but he's giving his best shot and taking them as pills instead of chewing them), and DH has been doing what he can to keep all of us off MSG, hfcs, and aluminum.

I just don't know how we're going to do with his visitations. He goes every other weekend until summer, when he's gone two weeks each in June and July. I'm just glad he's willing to give it a try. It took him 3 hours to get through a math lesson the other day.

Last edited by boy-oh-boy; 04-19-2009 at 09:49 PM.
boy-oh-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
tiffiegal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is diagnosed ADHD, as am I. I took medication myself while in college that worked wonders, but see no need to be on it now. So my house is a little messy....it'll be fine.

With my daughter I did not want to medicate. We have just started within the last 2 months cutting out dyes slowly. We started with the red dyes (and lord knows there's a ton of 'em) and we can already tell a difference. Her grades are better, her behavior is better, and she is an all around much more tolerable child (things were getting really bad for a while). We plan on hitting the yellows next. I'm also limiting sugars and no artificial sweetners are allowed in the house. I'm trying to learn how to replace sugars with other sweetners such as honey and agave nectar, but its certainly a work in progress.

All diapers come from smoke-free, english bulldog friendly home. I have caught my mailperson smoking in the truck TWICE now , so I will tape up packages as best as I possibly can to attempt to prevent ickiness from getting into the packages.
tiffiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
n-training
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you aware that if you do not seek out another physicians opinion, and that diagnosis stays with your LO, they will never be eligible to serve in any branch of the US Armed forces? Just a tidbit I thought I would pass on...
n-training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-training View Post
Are you aware that if you do not seek out another physicians opinion, and that diagnosis stays with your LO, they will never be eligible to serve in any branch of the US Armed forces? Just a tidbit I thought I would pass on...
Not nec. true, I believe it is only disqual. if you are currently taking meds. You need to be off the meds. for 12 months and be under doctor supervision and than be able to function "normally" without the meds.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
HEATHER78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-oh-boy View Post
We aren't diagnosed either. DSS is super-distractable and constantly talking without paying much attention to what he's saying or the response he's given. We also started doing fish oil (he decided after one that he hates the taste, but he's giving his best shot and taking them as pills instead of chewing them), and DH has been doing what he can to keep all of us off MSG, hfcs, and aluminum.

I just don't know how we're going to do with his visitations. He goes every other weekend until summer, when he's gone two weeks each in June and July. I'm just glad he's willing to give it a try. It took him 3 hours to get through a math lesson the other day.
You may want to try to buy the capsules and cut them open and put it in some juice my super picky son has no idea he is even taking it