Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
3rdontheway
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Extremely large tonsils?

Does anyone have a lo with extremely large tonsils? My 5 yo has them and I think they contribute to the fact that she gets ear infections. I have brought it up to my ped and she says its possible but not worth removal. I certainly don't want my lo to have surgery but am wondering if anyone else has expereince with 'kissing tosils' as my ped calls them.

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Black Tree Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: theprettyredhead
seller

Re: Extremely large tonsils?

My oldest son did. He had a lot of issues with strep because of them.

Since having them removed, no issues.

Black Tree Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
dkyle220
Registered Users

My dd had just had her extremely large tonsils (and adnoids) removed 3 days after her fifth birthday. Her ENT said they were the largest tonisls he'd ever seen. She also got ear tubes put in.

Large tonsils generally aren't a problem. However, if you have large tonsils you generally have large adnoids and adnoids (not the tonsils) can cause recurrent ear infections. They can become so big they block the passage of the back of the nose (the ears can't drain because the passage is blocked). I would take your lo to an ENT to be evaluated.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
venia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have them...still. No problems here too. I did get earaches as a young child, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have not had an earache in probably 20+ years though. Tonsils are lymphoid tissue and do produce white blood cells to fight off infection, which is why they often swell when we are sick. Removing them is generally a last resort these days as they are now known to have some importance (obviously not critical, but important none-the-less).

Best wishes to you and your DD. I hope they go away quickly
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are going to see the ENT on the 30th with my 5 yr. old because of it. He is having a lot of issues with enlarged tonsils, adnoids and his ears. I hate to put him through surgery but if that's what needs to be done for him to be better than I will do it. We have been putting it off for awhile but after this last bought of 2 months straight strep throat and ear infections it is time to go to the next step.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
3rdontheway
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think my daughter's are surgery worthy. She never has had strep but it seems lately that everytime she gets a cold it end up being an ear infection with it. Only three times this winter thank goodness but she is getting another cold now and I am just waiting for it to happen. She just finished her meds less than two weeks ago from the last one.
Kind of a side question, when do kids grow out of ear infections? It seemed like my sister got them when she was little but stopped around 7 or so.
My dr. thinks she will grow into the tonsils. Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
knitredsoxs04
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have very large tonsils and they were always commented on by my dr. however there was never a need to get them taken out. I've did get ear infections every winter until I was probably around 7 and I've had strep once and tonsillitis once. The ONLY time my tonsils ever caused me problems was when I was 18, got mono, and my tonsils swelled so much that they were gagging me. Of course, the only reason I went to the doctor was because my tonsils were gagging me so I suppose they turned out useful. He gave me a strong medication and my tonsils went down to a semi-normal size in less then 24 hrs. I'd say don't worry about it!
knitredsoxs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the neuro just told me yesterday that my 7 year old has really large tonsils.

He has CF and has been getting migraines, she thinks that they maybe contributing to that by the way of sleep apnea.

we are having a sleep study and cat scan of his sinuses done.

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Hbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd#1 had kissing tonsils and large adenoids. She had them both removed at 2 and a half for sleep apnea. We found out last year (when she was 8) that the tonsils have grown back. They're big, but not as big, and aren't giving her any problems.
Hbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

My son always had large tonsils, but then a little over a year ago they grew even bigger so it looked like they were almost touching in the middle. He started snoring and had a lot of fluid build up in his ear, and was starting to get some ear infections which had never been a big problem with him.

We got them removed and it was great for him. But I did appreciate the fact that the doctor was being conservative about it and did not go for removal until they were definitely causing problems.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote