Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
stayj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extremely large tonsils?

I have extremely large and prominent tonsils. I'm in my 30s and no one has ever suggested removing them. Doctors DO comment ("do your tonsils always look like that???") but no one suggests surgery. As a child I did not have tonsilitis or ear infections much but I did have strep a lot and was a strep carrier for six months when i was around 10...

I have had ear problems for the past 5+ years--chronic fluid buildup that impairs my hearing--and I kind of think it is related to the tonsils.

Don't know if this helps...

Advertisement

stayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

I had kissing tonsils, they finally removed them when I was 17. I never did get ear infections I think I had 1. Anyways I wish I had gotten them out long before I did. I had strep several times a year until they were removed.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest had large tonsils and adnoids. Both were removed when he was about 2.5 due to them causing sleep apnea.

I've been thinking about taking my youngest in to get looked at for the same thing.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

I have extremely large tonsils. Every time I go to a new dr. they think there is something wrong with them. I have to explain that they are just huge.

I've had no problems with my tonsils. No problems with recurrent tonsillitis or anything. I will get an occasional sore throat and strep but nothing major and certainly nothing that would warrant getting them removed.
I do want to point out that, while strep shows up in your throat, it actually has very little to do with your tonsils. If you get your tonsils removed, you still run the risk of getting Strep. Any dr who tells you otherwise doesn't know what s/he is talking about. The reason for getting your tonsils out would be tonsillitis (along with sleep apnea, breathing problems).

My ods had large tonsils and had severe problems with tonsillitis (and ear infection due to large adenoids). He would have tonsillitis at least once a month (no joke). He got his tonsils removed when he was 5. Of course he hasn't had tonsillitis but he has had a few ear infection. He has also still had a few bouts of Strep.

Just know that you don't want to rush to take them out if it's absolutely not necessary. It's painful and there is a risk of them growing back anyway. If your lo is getting ear infections and has no problems with sore throats, I would ask about tubes (although they don't rush to do those either).

Last edited by MyLil'Mountaineers; 04-22-2009 at 03:26 PM.
MyLil'Mountaineers is offline   Reply With Quote