Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My Baby Has Bed Sores- HELP

My daughter is 2 years old, she has Cerebral Palsy and a feeding tube. She is only in her crib from 8:30pm until she gets up in the mornings, which is usually at about 8am. She does not take a nap during the day...
She will only sleep on her stomach. She has been this way from birth (they put her on her stomach in the NICU to help her digestion, and now she won't sleep any other way )...

Well, she has developed bed sores on her knees... and one of them is now open and bleeding...
I have tried everything my mother suggested (she worked in a nursing home)... from making sure the sheets stay dry (her feeding pump sometimes leaks and she drools alot) to getting her some lambs wool.... and nothing is helping- they just keep getting worse....

I am thinking of taking her into the Children's hospital... but don't know if I am overreacting....

She has one on her left leg that is now open and bleeding- the best way to describe it is that it looks like road rash...

Any ideas??

Advertisement

TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Baby Has Bed Sores- HELP

Have you seen your regular doctors? Maybe there is a med. or cream you could put on them to help the healing process.

Hugs to you and your little one!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i don't know anything about this sort of thing, but maybe a memory foam mattress or mattress topper would help? oh or maybe one of those egg crate foam toppers? i know sometimes crib mattresses can be pretty firm and even a little rough so that might be contributing to it. i hope you figure out a solution to help your LO feel better

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are 20 hours away from her regular doctors right now.... So that isn't an option...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
UmmAdara
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you tried honey? I know this sounds weird but a friend of mine's son (2) had a bad case of teething diaper rash, and so she put honey on it, I believe there are many benifits of honey, it may be worth a try. I hope this helps!!
UmmAdara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you feel it warrants a visit to Children's do it, Pressure sores can develop and get bad really quickly, especially if it gets dirty from drool or the feed in her pump.
Make sure to dress it and keep it clean, apply some neosporin or something to help, don't put waterproof dressing on it it'll sweat.
I second the memory foam underneath her.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Shaunam
Registered Users

Hmmm....they told us for severe skin stuff to mix two things, aquaphor and maalox. I don't know if it would work for your situation. Then I would wrap her knees in....something. Anything to keep her from rubbing them against the sheets.

Even though you are away from her regular doctors, I'd try to get her in somewhere just to see if they have any ideas.

Poor baby.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My cousin had CP and also got bed sores on her knees from wiggling so much.

They did two things that I can remember.. It was a very long time ago.

Anyway, they built a hammock/cot type thing out of PVC pipe and a soft, breathable fabric. It had a little stretch, but not like a hammock would.

They put that in her crib instead of the mattress.

Then, they bought a bunch of those little soft, fluffy feety socks from Walgreens. They still sell them now for about 1.50 a pair. Then they cut the toes out of them and slid them (fuzzy side in) over her knees. I think they put some kind of ointment on the knees first... but, I am not sure about that.

In the mornings, the sock thingys were up above her knees, but it gave her five or six hours without her skin rubbing on the sheets.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

I say it can't hurt to take her. Pressure sore start from the inside so you can't see them when they begin (or they are just redness) so by the time it is open like that it is already pretty bad. I'm not sure what exactly they do to heal them though except turning the person often etc (i worked in a nursing home as well)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all your replies- we are off to Childrens... I will make sure and mention yall's suggestions... because I really hate the idea of their immediate MEDICATIONS answers...

Thanks!