Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Mommy-Stacy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My Baby Has Bed Sores- HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HisGlory View Post
I say it can't hurt to take her. Pressure sore start from the inside so you can't see them when they begin (or they are just redness) so by the time it is open like that it is already pretty bad. I'm not sure what exactly they do to heal them though except turning the person often etc (i worked in a nursing home as well)
I agree. You are going to want to get them looked at BEFORE they become much more of an issue, otherwise it may be too late in the game...

Advertisement

Mommy-Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

keep us posted! hope they can get them taken care of for her

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

to you and you LO...KUP!
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
HEATHER78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

to you and your love. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE: The Children's Hospital confirmed they are bed sores... they did prescribe her an antibiotic, both cream and internal... because they are already starting to get infected...

Their suggestions were turning her ALL THE TIME and letting the sores air out...

But we can turn her at night, as she will only sleep on her stomach- and continusly turning her will make her want to stay in bed longer because she is still tired...

SO... I have taken a few ideas from yall already! I bought a pair of diabetic sox (man they are the most comfortable ever hehe)... cut out the toes- serged them basically into babylegs! That way she can sleep on her tummy and not put so much pressure on her knees.

I have also been messing with pillows to help get her off her knees so much, but no luck there yet....

I am still trying to figure out some kind of sheet or something to help get the moisture away from her while she is sleeping.
Her diaper leaks- even though I change her 2-3 times a night... and her GButton leaks, but I have no way of stopping it... and she drools like mad...

If anyone has any ideas on that it would be nice! I was thinking of maybe a wool "sheet" to put under a regular sheet for her???
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh i'm so glad to hear that they were able to help!

what about a panel of a wicking fabric on top of the bedsheet to keep the moisture from sitting against her skin? i'm guessing microfleece might be too warm and suedecloth might be too abrasive, but what about that athletic coolmax (or something to that effect) that some mamas use as the inner fabric in their diapers? if it's anything like an under armor shirt it would be nice and silky smooth and cool as well. or maybe silk, i've seen silk liners that are supposed to keep some of the wetness away.

also, could you put a wool soaker over her diaper (even if it's a pocket or whatever) and that might help keep some of the moisture off the sheets. i have some paton's merino i dyed up just playing around but don't have plans to use, i would love to knit her a soaker.

just rambling off ideas as they pop into my head hopefully some are helpful

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you continue having severe problems...

my friend is in the hospital for burns and is paralyzed. He has grafts on his bottom that they are trying to get to heal. They put him in a sand bed when he is there for the long term. Somehow, the sand moves under him, and it keeps him from getting sores. I don't know any more than that, as he can't have visitors. But good luck!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

http://sitincomfort.com/snugwoolmatc1.html

http://www.dreamsoftbedware.com/ <--I bought a pillow sham from them for my husband's sweaty bald head, and we've been happy with it.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
HeatherMac603
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would get some foam that is an inch or so thick, cut out a piece that can be wrapped around her knees (you could fasten it together with velcro or something), and then cut out a hole where the sores are. An electric kitchen knife works well for this. This will allow her to still rest on her knees, but the sores will not be touching anything at all. You just have to make sure they are positioned in the right place every time.

I just made something similar for a back cushion for a nursing home resident (I'm an occupational therapist).

I would do that combined with the medication and frequent turning. Lots of great ideas here!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
spotsmum13
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can rent or buy a special matress that is filled with air and circulates the air through the matress. By the air circulating it keeps the body from getting sores. Also have you tried repositioning her on her side being held up with a body pillow and a pillow between her legs, and then on the other side and then on her back. At work we reposition everyone who cannot do it themselves every 1-2 hours. Also keeping her in a dry diaper will help the sores heal. Maybe you should seek the advice and care from a home visiting nurse. Don't put cream on it, but you can try a duoderm. It is a thin layer that will form and stick to the skin to help healing and protect the skin. But I would also be contacting a wound care nurse for an assessment that it doesn't need more care and to prevent infection
living in Mummy to DD #1 born Aug 21, 2001 (9years) DD#2 born still Aug 24, 2007, and due 09/09/2011
spotsmum13 is offline   Reply With Quote