Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Jenfrogmomcpst
Registered Users
Formerly: Say It With Heat
seller

Home Daycare mommies *UPDATE*

Do you ever get sick of the crying? I have 14 month old twins that cry over everything. It is getting old. Their mom is my good friend so I feel obligated to keep them. I just don't think I can do it much longer. I don't know how to tell her. If they were not ALWAYS crying I would be fine. I just don't know what to do anymore.

So, now that I have got the ball rolling I feel better and my friend (the mom of the twins) is getting over being completely ticked off at me. Thank God! We have been friends for over a dozen years!

Advertisement

Last edited by Jenfrogmomcpst; 04-22-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Jenfrogmomcpst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home Daycare mommies

Find a different line of work.

If I were their mom I would rather you stop watching them than being frustrated over their crying. You being frustrated might not be a good thing for the children.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am so sorry. That sounds extremely frustrating. Some kids are easier to watch than others.

Do you have other kids in your care? How long have you been doing this? How long have you been watching those children? Why do they cry? Is it when the interact with each other? Did the parents just go back to work? There are so many questions I have that may help me better understand the children.

I wouldn't necessarily say you shouldn't do daycare. Perhaps these children are extremes and most individuals may have similar difficulties that you are experiencing.I guess it requires self reflection.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
inhomecare
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you keep them engaged when they are awake? Are they picky eaters and maybe hungry? Are they good nappers? I find that my DC kids cry for those three reasons: hunger, boredom and tiredness. They also pick on each other when they are those three things. Also, if they just started with you give them at least 1-2 months to get used to you, even if they knew you before hand. I had a little girl that cried for about 3 weeks straight, but now 1 year later she loves coming here!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp in that I would love to hear more information about the situation. I do home daycare. I guess I can't give any more advice without some more details.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have one boy (one is bad enough) who, for the first full year and a half of his life.. CRIED non stop.

We had this ball called "The magic ball of quiet". It was some overpriced waterfilled ball with green glitter in it. The kids and I would hand it to him about 300 times a day, because he would look at it for less than a minute. But, for that 45 seconds, he stopped crying.

It was horrible. But, much worse for his mom. She didn't even work, but she brought him to me for whole days just to get away from the constant crying.

He is almost two years old now, and he finally stopped crying. He still wakes up between 6-12 times a night, but at least he stopped crying.

He's much better for me than he is at home. He still cries at home a lot, but not ALL THE TIME.

Don't know why he cried so much... don't know why he stopped... but we are all just thankfull he did.

(his doctors said "Some kids just aren't happy in the world")
Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would try to give them new activities. that age is hard bc they know what they want but cant communicate it with us easily pudding paint is always good....chunky crayons or chalk....take them for a walk(in a stroller not with them walking lol) i had one baby who cried ALL the time(bc she had allergies and her parents fed her the formula she was allergic to bc it was cheap) and the only time she was happy was when we went for a walk. so we walked the neighborhood 3x a day. the older kids loved it and she would calm down and sometimes fall asleep. If its super stressful and nothing works i would explain to the mother that you cant watch them anymore.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Jenfrogmomcpst
Registered Users
Formerly: Say It With Heat
seller

Ok, I have been watching them for a year. They cry over ANYTHING. I watch 2 other children plus my ds. The other kids are fine and having fun and the twins (especially the girl) scream and scream. I can't discipline the other kids because the little girl will freak out and scream. She naps well where her brother will NOT nap! If I knew why they were crying I would fix it. Their mom says "just put on Yo Gabba Gabba all day." HECK NO! We really can't do projects w/ them because they eat EVERYTHING and their mom wants them on an "organic diet." I don't think I am a bad care provider. In fact, I really like kids. I just am frusterated w/ the situation and don't think I can continue on the path I am on.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was surprised to see a mama say you are maybe in the wrong line of work. I don't think that is the case. You are obviously just worn out from this situation and out of ideas. Don't get too discouraged. It is not your job as a daycare provider to solve every problem a kid may have...if they love tv and you don't want to watch non-stop Yo Gabba Gabba then you are doing something different than what their mom is doing and that may be really upsetting to them.

So you are saying that during the whole time you have had them, they have been like this? What does the mom have to say? How many times have you talked to her and did she really have only that one suggestion? So when you say they cry over anything.....what do you mean? I guess I can't imagine keeping a daycare kid when they cry over anything. That is ALOT of crying! And then multiplied by 2....

At this point, I would talk to their mom again. I can't imagine forcing the other 3 kids to be around crying twins 24/7. Frankly I'm surprised the others haven't started doing this out of frustration and unhappiness over the noise level. Are you able to afford to find new daycare kids? If you are out of ideas then I would consider finding new daycare kids. I can't imagine why they would be crying all day every day but I would not be able to take it. I would talk to the mom, check to see if she will talk to a doctor, and try a few ideas. Maybe they need more napping time. I just couldn't say for sure without spending some time with the kids but if you are worn out then I say give the mom notice that she will need to find a new daycare. DON'T FEEL GUILTY! You have to do what is best for you, your home, your son, and your other 2 children.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
i&a's mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you're a bad daycare provider, but I do think you should tell the mother. Honestly, if you think don't want to watch them anymore, you probably shouldn't.