View Poll Results: Pacis for EBF babies? If yes, what shape?
Yes, no nipple confusion 78 50.65%
Yes, some nipple confusion but not enough to quit 6 3.90%
Yes, total nipple confusion & gave up paci or BFing 3 1.95%
No, never offered 16 10.39%
No, offered but baby didn't want 45 29.22%
Other - please explain 5 3.25%
Shape - Orthodontic 41 26.62%
Shape - Round 25 16.23%
Shape - Other 13 8.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pacis for EBF babies - to use or not to use?

Okay, just found out the we are expecting #4. With DS1 we formula fed & no paci, DS2 formula fed & paci only for a few months when I was having trouble getting him to sleep at night, DD EBF until approx 14 months & no paci. This one will definitely be EBF, but I'm undecided on offering a paci. I go back and forth from totally against them to considering them as long as we can wean from it shortly after a year. (I HATE seeing 2+yr olds with pacis...no flames....just IMO.) Do/did you use a paci with your EBF baby? If so, what shape (round, orthodontic, etc) Did it cause nipple confusion at all? Did it make naps & night easier?

ETA: The reason I'm considering strongly is because DD (almost 16 months) now sucks on her fingers and almost has blisters.

Advertisement

Last edited by hac1224; 04-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
emmarleigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pacis for EBF babies - to use or not to use - poll coming

We used one, he stopped taking it around 3 months. I wish he didnt, because he would sleep so much better.

Any ideas on how to get a 1 year old to take a paci?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Black Tree Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: theprettyredhead
seller

Re: Pacis for EBF babies - to use or not to use - poll coming

We used one, with no issues.

Sometimes, babies want to suck. Sometimes, it can't be on Mama. *shrug*

Black Tree Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pacis for EBF babies - to use or not to use?

Neither of my boys have ever had a bottle--but DS1 has always taken a pacifier. No nipple confusion whatsoever. DS2 doesn't really care for the pacifier--but it does help him to calm down and go to sleep for naps without being nursed to sleep. He will only take a MAM (Shaped like Avent) pacifier.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I originally didn't want one. but my husband knew better... LOL

he was given a nuk ortho and it's been a great help. as a newborn it calmed him and helped keep him asleep. it was his first toy. now it helps keep him asleep and he chews on it when teething. he's not super attached to it which to me is great, but I'm glad it helps. and we've had no problem with nipple preference
Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
inhomecare
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never offered my DD one, but she started sucking her thumb around 6-8 weeks. Now that is what soothes her to go to sleep when she doesn't nurse to sleep.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is the pacifier that the hospital used, so it's what I bought and stuck with. He wasn't much of a paci baby though. I could only get him to take one, when he was asleep, and was starting to wake up, I could put this in his mouth and he'd sooth back to sleep.

Once he hit about 4 months, he wouldn't even accept it then.

Then, during this last round of teething (he's 17 months) he liked to chew on it to help his teeth.

http://www.gumdroppacifier.com/?gcli...FQWfnAodTCUzQw

The "nipple" is the same shape as the Soothie pacifier, but the outside part is a better shape.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
shultzj1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my kids use(d) pacis. DD is 2.5 and stopped using his NUK orthodontic pacis at around 4 months as he preferred to suck his thumb. DD is 1 year and still uses her paci (I call her a diva cause it took us several tries to find a nipple shape and paci that would work for her) - I EBF both for five months and had no trouble with either the orthodontic or the MAM (which was what DD uses) - I did find DD was a more intense sucker and liked the larger bulbous MAM pacis earlier on (i.e. I gave her the 6 month+ size at like 3 months) Not sure if that is kosher with pediatricians, but it worked for us - she just spit the little infant ones out of her mouth right away.

Not sure how I feel about them either - DS sucks his thumb and I'm sure we are going to have to fix that before he screws his teeth up. But it was nice when he was smaller not to have to always scrounge for a paci. DD has to have one to fall asleep/calm down and that really annoys me, but hey, it works and I think once you get to subsequent kiddos, you really start to just do what works for you - even if it's not the "right" thing to do according to the "experts"

Hope you find what works for you! I think if your LO is easygoing, any paci will work - but if you have a high maintenance babe, it may be trial and error...
shultzj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Made nights/naps/and care rides MUCH easier!!! My kids would sleep through the night if they had a paci. Otherwise, I had to be their paci. And NUK orthodontic always seemed to be what my 3 preferred and found most satisfying.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Libbysmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my girls were efb for at least a year. DD1 used a paci right from the start with no nipple confusion. She liked the MAM pacifiers. She also occassionally took a bottle of breastmilk if I wasn't around. DD2 refused to ever take a paci or a bottle so it wasn't an issue. I am a fan of pacis in the beginning but I would definitely wean from it by 6 months. DD1 used hers until she was over 2 and it was a battle. I loved never having to wean DD2 from a paci.