Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #21
medaroge
Registered Users
seller

Re: MY FAT HAS AN EXCUSE!! :-(

I know, its crazy. When I was 6 months pregnant people would ask me how far along I was and when I told them they would say "are you sure you're not further along?" Uh, yeah, pretty sure, thanks though.

Advertisement

medaroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I know I already commented, but I wanted to reiterate how great the witty snappy comebacks can make you feel. Somehow just dishing it right back at them always made me feel so fulfilled and triumphant. It was a great way to get my sarcasm and frustration out without hurting those close to me!

I hated the questions. I mean, I know that some people mean good but truly, they just don't know when to stop. And, when I was at the end of my last pregnancy, I was ready to scratch your eyeballs out of your head if you even looked at me sideways. The last thing I needed were the rude comments, and some of them just bordered on ridiculous.

"Wow! Are you pregnant?"
"Nope, I just swallowed a basketball from the sporting goods department!"

I already shared the huge comment with you - I did that more than once to people who wanted to tell me I'm huge.

More often than not, when I couldn't be witty, I resorted to a generic, "Wow! That was really rude! You really know how to make a pregnant woman feel good about herself! Thanks a LOT!" That usually left them feeling like crap, and I felt great for making them feel the way I would have felt otherwise. (I'm telling you, I was pure evil!)

A friend came to me and jokingly said, "Where's your girdle?" to which I responded, "Where's YOUR toupee?" (He was balding)

I also got a lot of, "You look like you're gonna explode any second!" I'd smile and say, "Better wear a raincoat!" ("Thanks, so do you" works well here, too)

It just got so old. I don't know if it's that people just don't know WHAT to say but feel the need to say SOMETHING or if it's that their filter gets turned off when they see a pregnant woman... but really, people just need to stop. I mean if they would take 2 seconds to think about what they are saying, they probably wouldn't say it.

Anyway, that turned into a rant, but I just wanted to tell you to never underestimate the power of a snappy comeback. Sometimes, it can make you feel like a million bucks, when otherwise you might not. And, of course, you have to reserve your wittiness for those you know are just truly being dumb. Or dull it down for those who are your friends but are being insensative. Either way, don't let it bring you down.

Last edited by Kiliki; 04-21-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
silver
Registered Users
seller

People are so insensitive

There is NOTHING more beautiful than a woman carrying a child, in my opinon.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
manymillers8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awww, thanks mama's for all the support. I know I'm prob just hormonal right now, but it still bothers me for people to be so rude & insensitive.

Kiliki, I'm DEF going to use some of your comebacks the next time someone gets mouthy with me!!! LOL I love the "Thanks, you are too" response to being huge - that should get people to realize the words that are spewing out of their mouths! to you and everyone for making me feel better.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

oh honey that womamn is a b word for real.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #26
camom2007
Registered Users

My Mood:

ss these people don't know how to treat you. there is nothing you need to live up to cuz you are fine. 30 pounds is a good target weight for a single pregnancy. if it were me I probably would have ripped them a new one. as long as you take care of yourself that is all that matters.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #27
ariandsofiesmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

What amazes me the most is that complete strangers feel that it is ok to say this kind of stuff to begin with...What is wrong with people?!?

When I was preggo with my daughter and I was about 4-5 months along, I was at a store getting ready to try some maternity clothes on and the lady in the dressing room asked me how far along I was...I told her and she then said "OMG you are huge...Your baby is going to be really big"...What got me the most is that she had three kids herself. Seriously...! And I only gained 26pounds w/ my daughter!

My favorite line of all time is "Wow you are pregnant!"
OMG, really...Is that what the belly is in front of me! LOL
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #28
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

I can't believe some of those comments! I get the "huge" and "twins" comment constantly with my pregnancies (even this one already) but I never thought of it as commenting on my weight-- just my belly size, which is, I'll admit, bigger than average.

The only comments that really make my blood boil are the ones about the gender of the baby...everyone assumes I want a boy, and of course I don't care. When I was preggo with DD2 and a man asked if I was "getting a boy this time" he actually told me "Sorry, maybe next time." !?! Like my second beautiful daughter wasn't an amazing gift and I should probably return her. Stupid guy.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #29
honeylover122
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How rude! Sorry! I went through the same thing when I was preg- the nurse practicioner told me at my 6mo appt- keep in mind this is the first time I had gained ANY weight- that the 5lbs in 4wks I had gained was too much fat & that I needed to "lay off the fast food" which I couldn't eat due to heartburn...

some people just don't get it... I am short- 5'1" & not "fat" but I have wide hips- & when I am preg I am HUGE through my middle... I just have large babies & carry them forward...

sorry on a tangent... Anyway- I used to snap at the people what would say that & say do I call you fat? or do I say you're rather large? that pretty much shuts them up!

use code DSMAMA for 10% off
honeylover122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #30
Sarahb44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how rude.

Sarahb44 is offline   Reply With Quote