Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Making mochas?

How do I make flavored mochas? I love the ones from our local coffee shop and starbucks, but don't know how to make them at home. Do I need an expresso/mocha machine. I see one at walmart for $25, but don't you have to grind the beans? I'm so confused!!! Can someone help me?

[center]Chrissi ><>
Proud mama to Ashley, Jacob, Megan, and Caleb 9/14/06
daisybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Making mochas?

i work @ starbucks

for a grande mocha, there are 4 squirts of mocha, 2 shots of espresso (so, you would need an espresso machine and some espresso ground beans), milk, whipped ceam, and chocolate drizzled on top.

you can buy the espresso roast beans @ starbucks and have them grind it for espresso (they'll know what to do). you can buy regular beans and grind them oon the espessso setting---a lot of grocery stores have self service grinders---they aren't the best, but it would probably work. for the mocha, the mocha starbucks uses is a mix and not avilable for retail purchase. you could maybe use hershey's syrup although i think the starbucks stuff is a little richer/thicker---maybe up the amount of mocha you use if you do hersheys.

there's not really a "mocha machine" just an espresso machine that can be used to make the shots for whtever drink you make.

ETA: If you want the flavored mochas---like the kind at Starbucks where you can add a flavor in addition to the mocha---ie: peppermint mocha, you can buy the flavored syrups at Starbucks. Not sure what alternatives there are out there.

Andrea, Wife to Marc , Mommy to Taylor Nicole (April 2004), Emily Paige (June 2006), and Michael Sterling (April 2012)

Last edited by Mom2Taylor; 12-12-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Mom2Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Making mochas?

I thought Starbucks used a Ghiradelli liquid chocolate. I used to work there but it's been a few years. You can take any high quality chocolate, heat it over low heat and add a little cream and it will make a good mocha. Keep it in the fridge and it will last a few days. If you go through chocolate like me, it won't last long. If you want, try a really dark roast coffee instead of worrying about espresso. Then add a little cream, the chocolate and there ya go. For flavors, just about all the coffee shops use Monin syrups. They are good for coffees, italian sodas, anything. If you can't find them at your local store, they are really easy to find online. Just add a shot for your drink (8oz).

*I really wouldn't recommend using more Hershey's to make up the difference. Hershey's is a milk chocolate and much sweeter than what is normally used for coffeeshop mocha's. But if you like that sweet, try it, can't hurt.
Macalaigh Grace ~ 2005
James Tierney ~ 4/2/2010 7 lbs. 12 oz. 20"
Furbabies Omar and Coco

Last edited by Laniemel; 12-14-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote